Archived - Yet another HV power supply project

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
John Futter

Re: Yet another HV power supply project

Post by John Futter »

Rich
When I was building a 160kV x-ray supply at work
I was using Crimson Mosfet audio amp power modules 240 watt from RS components from memory. I used 2 48 volt 4 amp smpsu's to supply the amps rail requirements I even asked the makers if they could handle 100kHz.
which they could not continuously but I was driving at 30kHz which they said was fine for full power.
A good mosfet power amp should be able to go to 100kHz for a short time, while bipolar amps the usual limit is 50kHz.
I suggest some real impedance in the form of "R" in series with the primary to protect the amp and a convenient point to measure the primary conditions.
Muhammad Faidzul

Re: Archived - Yet another HV power supply project

Post by Muhammad Faidzul »

Hi Rich,

Sorry for late reply, I had a gout on my right ankle on Oct 13 and couldn't walk for 3 weeks.

Regarding your request for my Bennett HV tank driver board related to this post: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11088

The Board is fed with DC pulsed signal from the Function Generator, normally at 50% duty cycle. I adjusted the duty cycle on my board because i didn't get a nice square wave at the Mosfet output. The Boards function is to switch the polarity of the output to IGBT at around 30-100+kHz rate with amplitude Vp = supply voltage (in my case i used a 12v battery) making a Vp-p of 24volts. The reason I used a function generator instead of a fixed pulse output from a 555 timer is because it was initially for my CW tesla coil. I was too lazy to keep tapping the primary of the tesla coil for resonance, so instead I varied the frequency on the Function Generator to find its resonance (Its resonated at 175Khz). Feel free to modify the circuit.
Switch Board.png
IMG-20161104-WA0000.jpg
Note:
This circuit is the top view. Blue line is the PCB copper. Red wire is the jump wire on top of the board.
This board is to drive a Power Mosfet or IGBT. But I think you might be able to connect directly to the P1 and P2 connection of the tank to get a small spark on the HV end. Its better to have a DC blocking capacitor between you square wave power supply and HV tank for safety. And make sure the tank is filled with transformer oil.

Return to “Images du Jour”