Archived - Fusor Update - Plasma!

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Aidan Cookson

Archived - Fusor Update - Plasma!

Post by Aidan Cookson » Mon May 19, 2014 2:57 am

Hi everyone, tonight I finally finished setting up my power supply and putting everything together. I was a little worried about the transformer because it was finicky last time I tried to measure voltage from it (The voltage jumped sporadically), but when I added a load, it stabilized nicely. Here are some pics of my first plasma at various voltages:
plasma.png
About 4.2 KV at 1.05 x 10^-1 torr
plasma3.png
About 6.3 KV at 9.5 x 10^-2 torr
I have no idea if the colors are correct because I was using a webcam and the plasma may have been too bright for it. I will take it off tomorrow and see the colors for myself. I am also contemplating a strange issue in my voltage divider where it says the voltage is much higher than possible, yet the resistors read correctly.

Richard Hull

Re: Fusor Update - Plasma!

Post by Richard Hull » Mon May 19, 2014 1:39 pm

Nice images of your first plasma efforts! I have placed you in the Plasma Club. All the best on any future efforts at fusion.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Aidan Cookson

Re: Fusor Update - Plasma!

Post by Aidan Cookson » Mon May 19, 2014 5:06 pm

Thanks! I look forward to continuing my project until I have finished a real fusor.