Archived - Dave Xanatos - Fusor Foundations

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Dave Xanatos

Re: Archived - Dave Xanatos - Fusor Foundations

Post by Dave Xanatos » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:38 am

Finally... Some photos of the demo plasma in the File Cart Fusor. I still have a lot to do, mostly re-installing the vacuum gauges and making a PC board for the microcontroller that will automate and monitor everything... But I couldn't wait any more, so I just twisted some wires together and ran it up. Works pertty well. The glow of the plasma is beautiful, the photo doesn't quite catch the lavender hues. So now... on to a test run with hydrogen from light water... then Deuterium.
0409161926g_resized.jpg
0409161926j~3_resized.jpg
It would take decades of work, by thousands of scientists, in a particle accelerator powered by dump trucks of flaming grant money! - Professor Farnsworth/FUTURAMA

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:17 am

I'm dig'n the red foreground (led somewhere I assume) on the white background. Neat picture.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!

Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:43 am

Lol... This is my portable demo unit, so I have all sorts of lights on this. The red light was good timing... It's the HV Enabled Warning Flasher that is mounted atop the white post, visible in the upper picture, upper right corner.
It would take decades of work, by thousands of scientists, in a particle accelerator powered by dump trucks of flaming grant money! - Professor Farnsworth/FUTURAMA

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:38 pm

Dave, I have placed you on the Plasma Club lisitng. That is a very nice looking rig. It looks capable of going all the way.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:29 pm

Thank you Richard, I'm honored to be listed among such fine company!

Looking forward to the next steps.

Dave

Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:53 am

https://youtu.be/cpzH6Cx2SPw

Cathode grid heating, plasma extinguishment at highest vacuum, and re-bloom after vac pump turned off. A little tedious to watch, but interesting if you're so inclined.

Voltage I'm estimating at 7500, pressure not measured yet.... just me playing with voltage, vacuum, and making my stainless steel grid glow:

https://youtu.be/cpzH6Cx2SPw

Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:56 am

https://youtu.be/oIlBSijWj0k

Melted my first cathode... Made a new, larger one. In playing with vacuum and voltage levels, there were some very distinct rays or jets of plasma as I passed through a point of the vacuum... is that "star mode", or just some escaping plasma exiting through the grid aperture?

Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos » Mon May 16, 2016 8:51 pm

NEXT PHASE: X-RAYS :)

ZVS Driver paired with fat flyback from amazing1.com. Schematic & PC BOard Mask included if anyone wants. Using IRFP250 MOSFETs, but I hear IRFP260s are better... If the 250s work well, I'll try the 260s.

Note the FAT traces on the PC Board, combined with a thick solder slathering over all the high current runs. This circuit can sling tens of amps into the flyback primary, so the runs have to be fat as possible to keep them from cooking themselves off of the board.

I'm hoping for >30kV at >20mA to get me into real fusion range from my current half-side NST 7.5kV 30mA demo supply using the 15kV 60mA unit I just got... it'll make a nice Jacob's Ladder :)

The next phase of my Fusor will be this ZVS supply, and I'm expecting to be able to get a fairly hefty X-Ray flux out of my 4" viewport at max V & A once I tweak out the issues...

Videos of the arc this puts out at the moment are here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn5Xdoe08SU

It only works intermittently, and I have posted in the HV section for some assistance as to why... I have to physically POKE the primary coils to get it to jump into action. Number of turns in the primary? Capacitor issues? Torroidal Inductor issues? Need help from smarter-than-me people.
zvs-fn-3.jpg
zvs-fn-2.jpg
zvs-fn-1.jpg
ZVS Board 2.jpg
ZVS_DRIVER.jpg

Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:42 pm

Just a few revisions to the Deuterium Generator - the small inner diameter of the crossover dropdown tubes made it so that the PEM cell had to generate too much pressure to displace the vacuum oil. So I put in larger (0.25" OD x .005" wall thickness) stainless steel tubes. The gas line tubes are fine, only the crossover needs the adjustment. I also added a terminal block for the electrical connections so I don't have to keep bothering my PEM cell. :) Adding this to my historical post archive...
GeneratorNewq.jpg
GeneratorNewp.jpg
GeneratorNewm.jpg

Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:52 pm

Finally had the time to get the High Voltage Guard (formerly a KitchenAid Polycarbonate Store Display) installed, and then the High Voltage Divider for the Monitor... and of course, the Monitor Panel. I have been unhappy with the video monitor due to the poor quality of the cheap camera I used which couldn't seem to pick up the colors, or even the difference between plasma and background light for that matter, so I replaced the video monitor for now with the panel shown in the photos below. I'll put some $$ into a real camera setup later in the process, when I have to worry about X-Rays and Neutron Flux... The panel displays the grid voltage (I have to relocate the decimal point, I have it one off) - in the photo it's showing -8800v; the grid current is showing 24mA (I have a special 15kV 60mA Non-GFI NST from Amazing Devices, Amherst, NH), and the vacuum output is 7.16 (which calculates to 41 militorr). It also displays the logic voltage (5.08) and I have to connect the last meter to 12Vdc). I also have switches now to activate the vacuum pump & high voltage. Much cleaner operation and I no longer have to guess at voltage and current being delivered to the grid. Plasma shown is atmospheric gasses at the V & I indicated. The voltage divider is a 100 Meg and a 1k, with a neon across the 1k, and numerous grounding points for the ground lead along the run, plus twisted-pair on the wire.... just in case any ground fails so it'll arc over rather than energize/cook anything (like me) if the 100Meg ever fails/arcs.

I'm now actively building the Neutron Detector based on the really nice PMTs I got from Richard. I found perfectly sized aluminum water bottles that I can stuff the PMTs, Mu-Metal Shields, Scintillator Crystals and HV Power Supplies into so it will be optical-photon-proof and should only detect the fast neutrons the BC Scintillator is designed to pick up.

I might not get much time to move forward on this project... but I do take advantage of the time I do get! :)
hvdside.jpg
hvdfront.jpg
panel.jpg
plasma.jpg