Archived - Fusor progress, info & photos

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
RobertTubbs

Re: Archived - Fusor progress, info & photos

Post by RobertTubbs » Mon May 07, 2012 3:56 am

Someone once before asked if this company was a good one to buy from. The response was quite clear that this is not a reputable or even competent company to buy from. Omitting the various stolen pictures lining his website (which by the way changes almost monthly) of other peoples fusors the quality of the weld looks like someone took a Harbour Freight flux core MIG welder to it and then ground the bead down until it looked a little less embarrassing.

Granted, I'm sure you'll make neutrons with it if you can squirt enough JB-Weld into all the cracks, but it won't be anything compared to a $300 e-beam/tig welded second hand chamber off eBay that might have been a little less aesthetically pleasing. Anticipate virtual leaks for all eternity - they're well earned.

I'd ask for my money back,
RT

swiederhold

Post by swiederhold » Mon May 07, 2012 4:41 am

I am the owner and operator of Wieder Labs.

Obviously you are free to critique my work. However, can you please specify which image on my web site you are claiming is "stolen"?

RobertTubbs

Post by RobertTubbs » Mon May 07, 2012 4:48 am

Oh my, my mistake it appears you've since changed the photos you use to advertise your product to something other than Brian Mcdermott and Richard Hull's intellectual property. While I don't recognise this "batch," that doesn't mean you haven't stolen these aswell. Carry on then you vulture.

RT

swiederhold

Post by swiederhold » Mon May 07, 2012 4:52 am

I have NEVER used pictures of other people's fusors. The fusor pictures on my site, now or previously, are of MY personal fusor. Get your facts straight before you defame people.

John Taylor

Post by John Taylor » Mon May 07, 2012 3:58 pm

I purchased a 6" spherical chamber from the same source and although the welds may not look as pretty as some would prefer, I have had no problems achieving an acceptable vacuum for the experiment I purchased it for, although in the E-4 torr only and without appreciable heat. It was supplied to me as a custom chamber with (8) equidistant 1.33 CF flanges and (2) 2.75 CF flanges ("TOP" and "BOTTOM"). The 2.75" flanges are sealed with copper and have not given me any apparent problems with leaks that I am aware of. The 8" flange joining the two hemispheres is sealed with copper as well. The 1.33" flanges are sealed with Viton-A O-rings. Prior to baking the chamber, I had some probable virtual leaks that have diminished quite a bit with baking under vacuum. I am not producing plasma or much heat in this chamber (not a fusor) but am happy that I bought this for less than $700.00. My chamber was bead-blasted inside and out.

*The first pic shows the chamber as shipped to me.
*Second pic shows outside of chamber while assembling to a manifold.
*Third pic shows inside of chamber bottom hemisphere.

If I ever convert it into a fusor and try to pull a deeper vacuum, it may be a different story, but this chamber seems adequate as far as weld quality is concerned.

John Taylor
Attachments
6InchChamberBottomInside.JPG
6InchChamberBottomInside.JPG (336.13 KiB) Viewed 2856 times
6InchChamberBuild1.JPG
6InchChamberBuild1.JPG (327.82 KiB) Viewed 2856 times
WL-JT-3Q-3.jpg
WL-JT-3Q-3.jpg (459.68 KiB) Viewed 2856 times

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Mon May 07, 2012 5:12 pm

The proof is in the pudding gentlemen. Before trashing, "let the experiment be done", (Ben Franklin). Yes, it looks as if too much heat was used, but the welds seem to have cleaned up well and I would await real runs to tell the tale.

Virtual leaks are as universal as the sea sickness. They are to be expected, but only a real pump down and the report taken off a good gauge is needed.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

David Geer

Post by David Geer » Thu May 10, 2012 3:50 am

I'm also a welder and I'd have you go back to school before anyone would even remotely be able to purchase the items. The lines are horrible, too much heat, too much beading. These are amateurish mistakes from an apprentice and not a journeyman, craftsman or mastercraftsman's work.

You may run the risk of a blow-out/implosion from the poorly welded areas that may create dangerous shrapnel. Just an FYI.
- David Geer

Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis » Thu May 10, 2012 4:40 am

By prevailing industry standards, the welds don't look good and probably are prone to leak or outgassing. However, my impression is that this is a case of honestly being given what you pay for, and what you get may be good enough for typical fusor use. As a point of comparison, I think Lesker charges about $3k for a chamber like this, leak tested of course.

There are alternative ways to make budget AND hold a higher standard of quality on custom work, if you can afford some patience and are willing to talk to people about your project rather than put it together exclusively through online shopping. This community does have some very good welders; perhaps it's worth asking one of our resident welding experts for a favorable work rate? Don't neglect local resources, and if you're a student at a high school or college, check in with a local university machine shop (not necessarily where you go to school) to see how you might tap into their very affordable and professional services. Although do-it-yourself is highly prized, decent welding gear is expensive and might easily dwarf the cost of the entire fusor project itself, so it's understandable to have to shop this task out.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277

Andrew Seltzman

Post by Andrew Seltzman » Thu May 10, 2012 5:49 am

When I had my hemispheres built (http://www.rtftechnologies.org/physics/ ... sphere.htm) I had them welded by sharron vacuum (http://www.sharonvacuum.com/) for $350. Attached is a picture of the welds. Note that these welds beads were never cleaned, they are as welded. The bead is about 1/8" wide.

Scott, I think that your vacuum chamber production service could be a very valuable asset to the fusor community with a little refinement to the welding technique.

Perhaps we can offer some advice on the welding. I assume that you are TIG welding, what diameter electrode, and current are you using? Are you using filler? The blackening is a sign of oxidation, can you increase your argon flow or purity?

You can usually use less current if you are welding at a corner then a but joint. Are you using a rotary table to turn the hemisphere at a constant speed?

Andrew
Attachments
hemisphere-inside-close.JPG
hemisphere-inside-close.JPG (46.44 KiB) Viewed 2856 times
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org

Daniel Firth

Re: Archived - Fusor progress **READ THIS BEFORE TRASHING THE CHAMBER**

Post by Daniel Firth » Thu May 10, 2012 6:23 am

This is getting entirely out of hand.

Mr. Wiederhold offered to construct an entirely new chamber for me, completely free of charge.

Please don't dismiss all of his work based on one chamber. A chamber that happens to be the very first 6" chamber ever constructed there, with issues that Mr. Wiederhold has been 100% honest about; he offered the replacement of his own accord. I didn't ask for it.

I believe the photos John Taylor posted are a MUCH better representation of how the chambers are shipped.

All of you are 1000 times more upset about this than I am. Why?

Trust me, the lighting makes the welds look pitted and very uneven. It's not a very good representation of what my eyes see. At all.

However, with a new chamber that's a moot point. For what it's worth, I think it would have worked fine.

I should have the necessary parts for a vacuum test in the next week.