Archived - Fusor progress, info & photos

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Daniel Firth

Archived - Fusor progress, info & photos

Post by Daniel Firth » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:30 am

In light of Richard Hull's recent FAQ regarding the neutron club, I'm making a status update & progress report.

I've only registered on this forum recently, so I'm hoping this will serve as a extended introduction.

The chamber was built by Wieder Labs, it's a 6" diameter sphere, sealed with 8" CF flanges. It has 2 2.75" and 4 1.33" CF flanges for accessories. Beautiful inside and out.

Right now it only has a Hastings DV-6 tube on it.

There's a Welch 1400 on the bottom tray of the cart. It's a pristine pump, even the paint still looks nice. Considering they're nearly $2000 new, I practically stole it for $310 shipped.

The rackmount chassis is a 12U. It currently has:
1U switch panel
3U Hastings custom-built vacuum gauge panel (a great eBay find, it was less than $50). A coworker just bought a Hastings reference tube for his meters, and I was able to calibrate mine with it as well.
4U Variac panel, built by me with yet another eBay gem, a new-in-box General Radio W5 Variac. It will be used to fine-tune the diffusion pump heater.
2U Glassman -20kV 30mA power supply (I realize this is on the ragged edge of necessary voltage)

The second photo is a Varian 0936 diffusion pump. It looks really good, but had a bad heater. FYI, Tempco makes an exact replacement band heater, p/n NHL00186. My coworker and I are making an adapter tube, 2.75" CF on one end and a custom 3.5" OD 3-screw-hole flange on the other.

3rd photo is a closer look at the chamber.

4th photo shows the adapter tube parts sitting on top of the diffusion pump, no welding/machining done yet. You can also see a 100cc bottle of Octoil in that photo.

Last photo is the tentative design. It doesn't account for any deuterium or neutron systems yet.

I have a Varian right angle valve on the way. There's a conflat elbow sitting on the cart next to the chamber, and not pictured are various bolts, hoses, fittings, ceramic alumina tubes & SS wire for the grid, and a few cables.

I've also ordered an HV feedthrough and viewport.

I expect to be making vacuum test runs in 2 to 3 weeks.

Edit: I made a mistake, I said the PS was a Spellman, it's actually a Glassman.
Attachments
chamber2.png
chamber2.png (35.53 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
HPIM1238.JPG
HPIM1238.JPG (813.62 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
HPIM1235.JPG
HPIM1235.JPG (628.1 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
17344a.jpg
17344a.jpg (56.17 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
HPIM1246.JPG
HPIM1246.JPG (723.25 KiB) Viewed 3424 times

Jim Kovalchick

Re: Fusor progress, info & photos

Post by Jim Kovalchick » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:55 am

I like your emphasis on safety as shown by the neat and organized appearance and the handy extinguisher.

You will be able to do nice demo work with that power supply, but I wouldn't waste deuterium on it until you can do at least -25 to 30 kV unless all you are going for is star mode pictures.

Have you thought about a camera or mirror for viewing without x-rays?

good luck.

Jim Kovalchick

Conrad Farnsworth

Post by Conrad Farnsworth » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Daniel,

I really like your setup! Deuterium could easily be metered in through a double sided flange in between the valve and the chamber itself. The setup you have is looking very professional!

-Conrad

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:19 pm

This is really a fine piece of work Daniel. You have given us a lot of data in the background of your system. You are well on your way, I see. I have achived this.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Andrew Seltzman

Re: Archived - Fusor progress, info & photos

Post by Andrew Seltzman » Fri May 04, 2012 7:57 am

Daniel,

You said you got your vacuum chamber form wieder labs, (http://www.wiederlabs.com/) and I remember that some of us had questions on the quality of their work. Do you have any pictures of their welds / or what the chamber looks like inside?

Andrew
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org

Daniel Firth

Post by Daniel Firth » Mon May 07, 2012 12:49 am

When it was being built, I asked for photos of the construction and got a bunch.

Here are some photos of the welds during different stages of the build.

I don't remember the numbers now, but at one point I added up the cost of the components (4 1.33 flanges, 2 2.75 flanges, 2 8" flanges) from Kurt Lesker, and I think it was roughly 2/3 of how much it cost to just have Wieder Labs do the whole thing.
Attachments
WL-Post-Passivation-Brushing_2.jpg
WL-Post-Passivation-Brushing_2.jpg (520.27 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
WL-Pre-Passivation_2.jpg
WL-Pre-Passivation_2.jpg (549.24 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
WL-Post-Passivation-Brushing.jpg
WL-Post-Passivation-Brushing.jpg (834.45 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
WL-Pre-Passivation.jpg
WL-Pre-Passivation.jpg (787.18 KiB) Viewed 3424 times

Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Post by Tyler Christensen » Mon May 07, 2012 1:00 am

Wow, that is very unacceptable welding quality for a professionally made vacuum chamber. I'll be sure to stay away from that company.

Andrew Seltzman

Post by Andrew Seltzman » Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am

Agreed, they used way too much weld current, you can see the melt through to the outside. You did a nice job of cleaning it up though.

Is it confirmed to be leak proof?

Andrew
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org

Daniel Firth

Post by Daniel Firth » Mon May 07, 2012 3:28 am

I didn't do anything to clean it up. Those are images are in-progress before it was shipped to me.

Here's how it looks inside as-delivered. I'm experimenting with different grid techniques here.
Attachments
HPIM1303.JPG
HPIM1303.JPG (645.45 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
HPIM1301.JPG
HPIM1301.JPG (645.52 KiB) Viewed 3424 times

Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Post by Tyler Christensen » Mon May 07, 2012 3:52 am

In all honesty, if there is a return policy I would send that chamber back. If it's not leaky, it's bound to be full of virtual leaks that you will discover down the line as you perfect your system. The welds are so bad I can see multiple places visually where gross virtual leaks could occur.