Archived - The Pittsburgh visit (Western PA HEAS)

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
David Rosignoli

Archived - The Pittsburgh visit (Western PA HEAS)

Post by David Rosignoli »

A few weeks ago, my brother, and friend, and I were in the Pittsburgh area and dropped in on Frank Sanns. I am only now getting to posting the pictures.

Frank had only just come back from his West coast HEAS. Unfortunately, as a result of the short notice, he did not get enough time to condition his Fusor for best operation. He managed to bring it up as a solid plasma, but the neutrons were not forthcoming. Still, he has a very nice system and I am very envious of it. Frank gets kudos for powering up his Fusor on such short notice. And the portable He3 meter (Thermo) that he has was very impressive. It can scan radioactive samples and perform a radiation spectral analysis, even identifying the exact material to 90% accuracy.
Cool toys!

Discussions covered a variety of topics - from Fusors to chemistry to atmospheric electricity.

Photos below include:
1. Frank's fusor
2. A close up of his fusor chamber
3. Frank holding up his characteristic grid
4. Michael on guitar, demonstrating Frank's chemistry ability to turn mediocre sounding guitars to impressive sounding ones!
(Unfortunately, my plasma photos turned out blurry.)

Thanks Frank for a memorable visit,
Dave
Attachments
michael_on_guitar.jpg
Frank_holding_grid.jpg
frankS_fusor_chamber.jpg
FrankS_fusor.jpg
Starfire

Re: The Pittsburgh visit (Western PA HEAS)

Post by Starfire »

Thank you for the report, David and Frank for sharing access to his equipment.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

David,

Thanks for the photos. I enjoyed the visit and conversation. With all of these gatherings, it just seems like there is not enough time. Too many subjects, toys, and ideas. I have been fortunate to visit many fusor people this year and have a few stop by. A good year it has been.

Taking a chamber that has been essentially at atmospheric pressure for 6 months and getting any significant fuson from it in an hour is essentially impossible unless you have a tiny chamber, large vacuum system with good conductance, and a healthy deuterium flow. Mine of course is none of those and the addition of the two large Pyrex bowls within the 22 liter chamber is the clincher as glass has a huge affinity for surface water. I don't know if you heard the sizzling in the diffusion pump but that was water fresh from the chamber. I should have started the vacuum the night before but I was too weary from the trip.

If you are interested in the guitar work that I have done there is more info at http://www.alchemyacousticlabs.com/ . I think I can post this as a sidebar without offending but will remove it if a problem.

Frank Sanns
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Scott Fusare

Post by Scott Fusare »

Frank,

Is you product useful for violins?

Scott
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Yes, all hollow body wooden acoustic instruments. .

Scott Fusare wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Is you product useful for violins?
>
> Scott
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I am glad that folks are visiting around of late. This is a great sign of expanding interest and a willingness to travel to see interesting folks and their stuff.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Images du Jour”