Archived - HEAS 2010 - General Images

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Richard Hull

Archived - HEAS 2010 - General Images

Post by Richard Hull »

Well the event is over.. Whew!

The facts....

We had 18 folks show up Friday evening and a total of 56 souls attended on Saturday. Of the total, we had 25 folks in the group that were Fusor folks or who are lurkers on fusor.net with interests in fusion. This is the largest conclave of fusor.net folks and amateur fusor builders ever assembled in the world! It just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Robert Tubbs and Tyler Chritensen were the farthest traveled attendees (Washington State) with Californian Jon Rosentstiel a close second. Frank Sanns (Pennsylvania)A) was the man who showed up with the coolest toy while Cameron Prince, (Alabama), showed up with the biggest and most dangerous toy. Larry Adams (VA, HEAS memeber) showed up with the loudest toy.

I nursed my fusor to a new record with plenty of fusor savy witnesses on Both Friday and Saturday. (The old record was 1.13 million n/s)

Friday evening I hit 1.25 million neutrons per second and on Saturday, just as the "Perfesser" arrived, I hit 1.46 million per second, isotropic.

Jon Rosenstiel had his new 6LiI (Eu) doped neutron scintillator and Frank Sanns had his fabulous and ultra-expensive Thermo, super He3 tube hand held with a full gamma spec. All these roared to life as Fusor IV clicked into new record territory. The general spec for the max run was D2 pressure of 16 microns, 43.7kv applied with 9.5ma of current pushing things along. All in attendance will attest to the fabulous stability of fusor IV over every run. Not one flicker. Just a frozen flawless star with continuous fusion.

A record cold, dead, umpumped fusor- to - full fusion at the 250K n/s startup time of 12 minutes was achieved based of Chad Ramey's camera clock as he filmed from startup. Most of this time was the diff pump heating. Another 15 minutes was needed for nurse the device to over the mega-mark.

Many new faces were seen on the fusor side along with many old ones returning for the fifth and sixth time.

The flea market was fabulous with much gear and money changing hands. Carl, Robert Tubbs and I shut the lab doors around 2:00AM Sunday morning. As many as 12 people were still there at midnight and beyond.

"Arczilla" was shown by Cameron Prince of Alabama. This was a giant jacob's ladder consuming over 8000 watts and lit up my entire neighborhood at night. It blew my 40 amp 240 volt breaker several times. Any photos of Arczilla?

Naturally, there was a dual Tesla coil system shown in operation. One of the two coils burned up, but quick thinking saw the remaining coil working the rest of the time.

Large Adams had his two large marx generators with pistol shot and shotgun blast arcs exploding across a large gap.

I am attaching a photo of just the fusion folks. We had so many fusioneers that we can no longer pose next to fusor IV as in the past, but are seen outside the lab.

Left to right...........

Tim Koeth, Jack Spear, Charles Melvin, Q, Richard Hull, Tyler Christensen, th' Perfesser (Paul Schatskin), Bill Fain, Dave Rosignoli, Carl Willis, Ben Barlett, Jon Rosenstiel, Chad Ramey, Frank Sanns, Robert Tubbs, Steven Shaw, Issac Shomer. Missing from the image are Eric Stroud and several other fusor.net folks who either had left or were not present at the time the crowd was asked to gather for the picture.

The talks were all great during the evening. Tim Koeth talked about the Cyclotron group and project, Bill Kolb gave a talk on his magnetic impulse gun using several sequentially fired camera strobe boards into serial coils along a small tube. Carl Willis spoke about his Chernobyl trip, Kevin Dunn spoke about Caveman Chemistry, Ben Barlett talked about his effort at showing the ion source improvement of fusor performance and I talked about the fusor history. Chad Ramey and Steven Shaw spoke about their efforts to secure funding for fusion energy coupled with water purification in areas of the world where both energy and clean water are scarce.

I am sorry for any omissions.

Please help me with any errors and I will correct this posting.

Also, I expect and demand more images that were promised to be posted here by other who were constantly shooting images. Pile on guys!!! We need more images of the fusor, the star, people, the flea market, etc. Get stuff in this posting by replying....

Thanks to all who made the event special

Richard Hull
Attachments
BEST GROUP.JPG
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Starfire

Re: Archived - HEAS 2010

Post by Starfire »

Thank you Richard for sharing - to those of us far away it is appreciated and valued and keeps the bond alive.

This is indeed a valuable exchange and much respected.

Also a vote of thanks to all who attended.
Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Post by Tyler Christensen »

Had a great time at the event, thanks Richard and everyone who came who made it a great day!

To the right of Robert Tubbs is Steven Shaw, and the talk on water purification was given by Chad Ramey and Steven Shaw
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

#1 Flea Market
#2 Jon R and Bill Kolb
#3 Flea Market
#4 Lichtenberg figure demonstration
#5 Tim Raney thermoelectric demonstration

More later.

Frank Sanns
Attachments
FrankSannsDSCN0208.jpg
FrankSannsDSCN0200.jpg
FrankSannsDSCN0193.jpg
FrankSannsDSCN0192.jpg
FrankSannsDSCN0188.jpg
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks Frank for the images. You are the first and only guy to supply images in your original "first photo - real time" posting and now, again, here. The flea market was vastly larger than shown as Frank depicted only a thin line of sellers, but you get the idea. I think there were about 20 vehicles that stuff was being sold out of.

I eagerly await the thousands of images taken by others amongst you who attended. I had both my still camera and video camera ready to go, but did not have the spare moment to just go into the house and fetch them. I was that absorbed and involved.

Folks left with a lot of images and video in addition to new stuff they bought at a good price and memories that are priceless.

Thanks also to Tyler for the name and information. I have updated the original posting to correct the errors/ omissions.

Richard Hull.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
ericstroud

Post by ericstroud »

Thanks Richard for another wonderful event. It was great seeing everyone and catching up again. I regret having to leave early this year, but I promise to have a table next year!

Some photos:

#1 - 180 degree panorama of the swap meet

#2 - My loot (roughly L to R): Cerrobend blocks, thanks Bill! A counter, an extremely rare 100W cesium vapor tube loaded with cesium, a high-intensity mercury vapor lamp, all thanks to Richard! Eight GE AR-1 argon bulbs, and some tiger stripe resistors

#3 - An amazing specimen offered by Bill Kolb

#4 - Beautiful toroids for sale

#5 - The Hope Emerald turned up in a box of parts. $5. My wife was very pleased.

#6 - A mass spectrometer for sale.

#7 - One more panoramic before heading out.

I'm inspired to get back into the lab! Kind regards,

Eric
Attachments
HEAS2010_0.jpg
HEAS2010_2.jpg
HEAS2010_4.jpg
HEAS2010_4.jpg (37.09 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
HEAS2010_3.jpg
HEAS2010_3.jpg (28.12 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
HEAS2010_35.jpg
HEAS2010_35.jpg (28.01 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
HEAS2010_5.jpg
HEAS2010_5.jpg (34.74 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
HEAS2010_01.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

This was a fabulous display, Eric! Thanks for the images. Just the stuff I wish I had time to get. There has to be a lot more images out there. Bring 'em on guys.

No one photographed Arczilla? Got star images, etc?

Richard Hull
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Richard,

I had a great time at HEAS 2010, perfect weather, awesome demos, great talks, and best of all, a room full of interesting and very intelligent people. What I like best about your HEAS meets is that no matter what one's background all it takes to get a conversation started is to mention one of three things: Arcs and sparks. Blowing things up. Fusion.

Thank you,
Jon Rosenstiel
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

That's why we call my local group HEAS - (High Energy Amateur Science)....... No whimpy, green, soft, earthy sciences here....Just lots of stuff that goes bang in th' night or emits some sort of rays.

It is a magnet for real men and boys.......It's in the genetic makeup.

Richard Hull
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Richard Hull wrote:
> That's why we call my local group HEAS - (High Energy Amateur Science)....... No whimpy, green, soft, earthy sciences here....Just lots of stuff that goes bang in th' night or emits some sort of rays.
>
> It is a magnet for real men and boys.......It's in the genetic makeup.

Where are the fusor women? Or fusor wives' knitting & tea society?
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
David Rosignoli

Post by David Rosignoli »

Richard,

Once again, thanks for a great event! The weird flea market, the demos, the talks - all were of a high caliber and very entertaining. I attach the photos below.
Photos include:
1 - a view of the goodies being sold outdoors
2- another view of the market
3 - a DRSSTC (double resonant solid state Tesla coil) discharge
4 - a pole pig distribution transformer hooked up as a jacobs ladder in daylight
5- Tim Raney's fine poster presentation of his self-study work (in the back is Richard's Fusor IV)
6-another view of Tim Raney's setup with his thermo-electromagnet, which he demonstrated for the crowd -> a one-turn electromagnet run off the seebeck effect that could life 200lbs(?)

Dave
Attachments
flea_market.jpg
flea_market2.jpg
drsstc_discharge.jpg
pole_pig_ladder.jpg
Tim_raney_physics.jpg
raney_thermo_magnet.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

More thanks go to Dave for his addition to the image pile. I might note that the cars seen in the first image are stacked three deep with unseen rows behind them all the way out to the street in front of my home. We had more vendors this year than ever.

For Rich Feldman......The wives, wisely, just did not come! My wife (Kit) collected the admission toll until 12 noon. A mom or two was there shepherding those under 18. One or two girlfriends were seen minding and collecting for their boyfriend's seller pile while he was off making deals on stuff he wanted. Finally, we must not forget Frank's daughter, Ashley Sanns and Kim Goins of NRL, the two scientific fems on site. The ladies were there, just not imaged much as guys have much higher priorities around cool stuff and goings on with kindred spirits all around them. Thus far, only Kim Goins is imaged in Dave's second pix. She is seen in a white "t" shirt in the distance next to the telephone pole on the right side of the picture. No Ashley pix yet, but I assume thousands were taken of her.

I hope to see more images. Cameras were constantly clicking all over the place.

Note* I feel I have now identified all the folks in the group pix in my original post to which, I have also added more new info. You might want to re-read it.

Richard Hull
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

Hi Richard,

Thanks so much, as always, for a really fun time. Highlights for me:

-Richard's fusor hits a new milestone in neutron output

-Bill Kolb's stealth handheld coil gun tore a new one (tore two new ones, to be precise) in a Granny Smith apple

-Someone trucked a monster 14.4-kV pole pig from Alabama (wasn't that it?) and set it up in a Jacob's ladder, resonating the secondary with a capacitor to produce arcs several feet long.

-A nice twin solid-state Tesla coil was presented.

-Paul "The Perfesser" Schatzkin hosted a meeting about Fusor.net

-Quite a nice range of evening talks

I look forward to next year!

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Q

Post by Q »

yet again, another great heas event!
thanks, richard!

pictures:
1- arczilla in daylight
2- same, at night
Attachments
34422_445988130824_700120824_5502197_5665099_n.jpg
62406_445987880824_700120824_5502189_4789196_n.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks Q. Nice Arczilla shots. This thing was fearsome.

Richard Hull

Return to “Images du Jour”