Archived - West Coast HEAS 2010

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Archived - West Coast HEAS 2010

Post by Frank Sanns »

Here are some photos of this past weekend's Mini HEAS at Jon Rosenstiel's lab.

Photo #1: Doing some moderator and He3 experiments with Jon's fusor idling along at a third of a mega neutrons per second. Left to right is Dave Cooper, Jon Rosenstiel, and Frank Sanns. George Schmermund was taking the photo so if you look at some reflections you might be able to get a glimpse of him.

Photo #2 is one of Jon 's pristine vintage engines that we were treated to hear run. After a brief fuel flow problem, former top Yamaha race mechanic Jon, R had it chugging away in record short time.

And a good time and dicussion was had by all. Thanks Jon!

Frank Sanns
Attachments
HEAS_WC_2010_61.jpg
HEAS_WC_2010_0653small.jpg
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Todd Massure

Re: West Coast HEAS 2010

Post by Todd Massure »

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you guys had a good time.

Let me know if you plan another one, I'd love to join in!

Todd Massure
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Not being able to start the engine right-off was somewhat of a small embarrassment, but I did say upfront that I would "attempt" to start a couple of my old (1920’s) engines... immediate starting not guaranteed.

Frank is correct, good discussion and a good time was had by all.

Jon Rosenstiel
George Schmermund

Post by George Schmermund »

Jon - If it had started right up the rest of us would have missed out on the opportunity to see the fuel and carburetor system in such expansive detail!
Anything obvious in high vacuum is probably wrong.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

It is good to see that some of us will occasionally gather on the west end of the country. I know Frank had to travel to get there.

We have a local event called the "field day of the past" where those old gas and many steam engines are cranked up and doing work. This year it is Sept 17-19.

For those in the area go to
http://www.fielddayofthepast.net/id1.html

I have been a few times and it is a real trip back to the early 1900's. The smell and inhalation of wood and coal smoke choking your lungs is a distant childhood memory for me.

Wish I had been there.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
David D Speck MD

Post by David D Speck MD »

Richard,

If you like old engines -- gas or steam, you should cruise up to the annual Pageant of Steam in Canandaigua, NY, about 25 miles east of the Teslathon. It's always the second weekend of August.

There are typically 250 John Deere tractors of every description imaginable as well as Fords, IH, and one of a kind oddballs, like the asymmetric three wheeler that looks like a motorcycle with a side car, 8 or 10 steam tractors, many working, and a large assortment of operating hit or miss gasoline engines.

Couple of years ago, they had running the largest one lunger I've ever seen -- must have stood 15 feet tall with a 10 foot flywheel. It drove four oil well pumps through a horizontal array of bell crank mechanisms. It only fired about once in every 10 - 12 revolutions, but the unmuffled exhaust pulse felt like being kicked in the chest. Quite a spectacle.

Dave Speck
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Todd,

I thought from a FB post of yours that you were no longer living in Southern Cal. or I would have let you know the plans. Next invite may be as early as mid January. I need to get back home in the next week or two or I will miss the East Coast HEAS.

Frank Sanns
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Jon -

I've got at least one lawnmower of much more recent vintage, that doesn't start any easier. So I was quite impressed at how nicely your engine ticked over.. once you got its attention.

It was a good afternoon all around. Frank's new pocket sized MCA is quite impressive.

Dave Cooper
Todd Massure

Post by Todd Massure »

Yep, I'm still in San Diego. I still lurk around here on the forum too, even though I haven't been posting much in the last couple years - I at least check the recent threads topic list every day.
I hope everyone has a great East coast HEAS.

Todd

Return to “Images du Jour”