Archived - HEAS 2009

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
David Rosignoli

Re: HEAS 2009

Post by David Rosignoli »

I agree with Carl and the others. This was a great event. It was good to put names to faces. Well done demos and cool equipment/chemicals for sale. Interesting conversations into the early morning hours. And, of course, entertaining presentations. Great fun.
I certainly hope you have many more HEAS events to come. And congratulations on the plaque.

Thanks Richard/Kit (behind the scenes...).
Dave
RobertTubbs

Post by RobertTubbs »

Very cool Richard,

I aim to attend HEAS 2010. Was hoping to come this year but low and behold fall quarter. The legendary swap meet is always a day away. Maybe those who attend the next HEAS will get the chance to see Fusor-V in the making?

Tyler! I expect you to spill the beans and tell me all the details when you get back!

RT
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

Hi Richard,

Nice photo.

Front row is as follows, left to right:

Mr. Ramey, Chad Ramey, Matthew Honickman, Richard Hull, Frank Sanns, Mike Beauford, Dave Rosignoli. Back row, I'm not sure I remember names correctly so I will defer to someone else who's good with names.

It's also worth noting the distances traveled by some of the visitors. Jon comes from southern California, Tyler from Washington State, Matthew Honickman and Ed Wingate from upstate New York, I come from New Mexico...I'm sure I'm missing some significant other trips as well. But the entire US is represented at these things. Kudos to the parents of our younger members for their efforts and their patience in bringing those guys to HEAS; everyone is enriched by their presence. I think this was THE record in terms of fusor attendance, even though fell short by a few from the '96 total attendance figure.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Yes, I totally agree with what the others have said, HEAS 2009 was a super event.

Thank you Richard and Kit.

Jon R
Mike Beauford

Post by Mike Beauford »

Hi Richard,

LOL - I'm in-between Frank Sanns and Dave Rosignoli.

Mike Beauford
Mike Beauford
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks Carl for the name updates. I have modified my post accordingly. Can anyone help with the rest of the question marks (backrow). In 96 these were Teslathons. 100% were Tesla coilers. Now it is a total mix. The fusor people comprised the largest fraction of attendees this year.

As I lost a lot of angry and disillusioned tesla coilers in the late 90's as the HEAS was formed to encompass all amateur science people, our attendance hit an all time low of 29 in 2001. I think the fusor people have bumped this number back up consistently and regularly since 2002. So, this year is a record attendance under the HEAS banner and in terms of fusioneers as well.

Also Kudos to Carl for noting the amazing distances traveled by all who attended. I have never discounted this extreme sacrifice in money and time by others. I often mention it in past posts, but just forgot this time. This is a testament to the hunger of those seeking first hand guidance and need for communing with like minds.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I've already updated the original posting with image, Mike. Sorry.

Everyone.......................

PICTURES! Where are they? I saw hundreds of flashes go off! I probably got more radiation on my back while working the fusor from UV flashes than from the fusor facing me.

Ricahrd Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Post by Tyler Christensen »

Thanks for the awesome event, it was a great day. I didn't have a camera for any pictures, but I'm hoping others will post what they have despite the current lack of pictures.

Off to fire up my fusor on a new power 3-stage CW supply I just finished building, I'll post results soon if it works!
Doug Coulter

Re: Archived - HEAS 2009

Post by Doug Coulter »

Tried to upload a video of Richards run, compressed to 1.8mb, but the forum won't let me, says it's too big even compressed down that small (original was 28 mb). I tried!
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
chad ramey

Post by chad ramey »

Richard,

The group picture has been labeled incorrectly, the guy beside me is not my father. My dad was helping take the pictures and was not in the photo. As for the name of the person, I am at loss .
Concerning pictures and videos from your test run on saturday, I'm going to try to start uploading tomorrow.

Thanks again for hosting such an awesome event!
Chad
Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Post by Tyler Christensen »

I would suggest uploading the original 28MB file to youtube then posting the link to it.
ericstroud

Post by ericstroud »

Thank you again Rich for a great time at the 20th anniversary of HEAS. Here a a few photos:

1. Rich at the helm during a record run.

2. My UHMW-moderated neutron counter and scalar at center

3. The readouts from three different neutron counters during the run: Rich's, mine, and a Snoopy.

4. A Stirling Cryocooler demonstration

5. Homemade neutron bubble dosimeters w superheated gas - One of these actually showed some tiny bubbles during the run. Hopefully will be perfected for the next HEAS!

6. A gigantic bismuth crystal, home-grown by TR. The picture doesn't do the coloration justice.

Great to see all the fusioneers again. Kind regards, Eric
Attachments
RICH1.jpg
BENCH1.jpg
3METERS.jpg
CRYO1.jpg
BUBBLE1.jpg
BISMUTH1.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Chad, I have corrected the error and added a question mark. I forgot your dad was doing all the photography with 10 different people's cameras.

Eric, I can't thank you enough for the fine images.

Richard Hull
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

To Richard and all at the HEAS 2009 -

Thanks for hosting and sharing with those of us who could not attend. It looked like a great and stimulating weekend.

The Bismuth crystal is particularly impressive. Quite an accomplishment!

Dave Cooper
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Some people photos.

#1 Carl Willis. Nice contrast with the blue and yellow but I can't read the label on the bottle.

#2 Bill Kolb. Signing autographs?

#3 Jon Rosenstiel (right) and a freind of his. Conspiring like in the younger days.

#4 Bill Fain, Eric Stroud, TR. Is that somebody from the government in the background???

Frank Sanns
Attachments
HEAS209 012S.jpg
HEAS209 001s.jpg
HEAS209 004s.jpg
HEAS209 003s.jpg
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
RobertTubbs

Post by RobertTubbs »

Very nice pictures Frank,

I spy some of Carl's home brew uranium salts.

RT
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Bill Fain is the guy in the background to the left with the suspicious shades. T.R. was without his characteristic glasses following his lasik surgery.

A great shot of Bill Kolb for those who have never seen the author of "Living With Radiation - The First Hundred Years".

What!?....No images of Ashley?!! Just ugly old men....! I think more guys were huddled around her than watched my record breaking fusor run.....Not without good reason though, therefore, I forgive them.

Many thanks for all of your images shared with us Frank.

Richard Hull
Q

Post by Q »

a few days late, but i too would like to thank you, richard, for an excellent gathering!
there were a lot of excellent conversations with other like minded individuals (once again reminding me how little i know about things). i always enjoy attending, it always an educational experiance.

thanks again,
Q

Post by 1.618 »

I am between Eric Stroud, and Jon Rosenstiel. Back row second from the right.
chad ramey

Post by chad ramey »

Sorry for the delay but 'eres a set I made of HEAS 2009 pictures, enjoy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43439261@N ... 48/detail/

-Chad

(videos soon to come)
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Chad Thanks for the great images. This was the best HEAS yet as relates to fusioneer attendance.

Richard
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Charlie, I have updated my post, adding your name and deleting the question mark.

Richard Hull

Return to “Images du Jour”