Archived - Bugles and Beams

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Archived - Bugles and Beams

Post by Frank Sanns »

For the newer members of the forum, here are some of my older photos of bugle jets (five or six) and 2 simulaneous beams. Inner 3" and outer 10" grids are both my lattice design. Notice the focus on beam between the inner and outer grids. Also the beams extend beyond the outer grid and fan out on the surface of the chamber. In some cases, inches past the outer grid.

Frank Sanns
Attachments
FusorRays.jpg
Bugles.jpg
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
DaveC

Re: Bugles and Beams

Post by DaveC »

Frank - very pretty. Do you have any with "bright shiny beads..."

Serious question: Would you say the color differences in the two photos are real? The first would suggest a higher chamber pressure, but getting true colors of these discharges is difficult.

Dave Cooper
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Good question Dave.

These pictures were taking with a Sony DCS707 camera. Most non pro digital cameras use an auto white balance. This artificially shifts the colors when there is an excess of a particular color. It is due to the camera trying to compensate to get back to a neutral overall color balance. All of my newer pictures were taken with a better camera Canon 10D, 20D, or 5D. These cameras have a Kelvin setting. I set it for fixed K of 5500 which is normal outdoor color temperature. This way all of the photos have as true a representation of color that the sensor will allow. To my eye it is very good to the real color of things. If you don't have a K setting then many cameras will allow for fixed white balance. Just set that balance on a 15% gray card in natural sunlight and that will work nearly the same.

Frank S.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
waltsphotos

Post by waltsphotos »

just a warning about kelvin setting on cameras from a photographer...

just because you set a digital camera for 5500k, what should be a normal daylight color balance, doesn't mean you will get the right balance. Many things can effect what setting you should use; the sensor, the lens, shooting through glass, finger prints on the lens, how long the exposure time is. To give you an example; the fuji S3 pro SLR camera is closer to a 5500k color balance at 5300k then at the 5500k setting. (just as a note most canon cameras are in the ballpark at 5500k) if you want to be as accurate as possible; testing is the only way to determine what is best kelvin setting to shoot at for your; camera, lens combination, and shooting condition. if your ok with being in the ballpark, 5500k, daylight color balance or the suggested graycard custom white balance will get you close.

~Walt

Return to “Images du Jour”