Archived - Plasma Club, here I come...

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Greg Courville

Archived - Plasma Club, here I come...

Post by Greg Courville »

Update, 06-18-2006 22:10 PST:
Two photos are now attached. The first photo shows an early effort this morning. The second photo shows improved ion focus as a result of longer pump down, higher acceleration voltage, and improved ground mesh and acceleration grid construction. As the pressure dropped during pump-down, I took a detailed series of pictures showing the transition from an arc to a glow discharge on the grid to a purple fuzz and finally to a confined "blob" within the grid. I am in the process of sorting through nearly a gigabyte of pictures from today's experiments, and will add more content when I have a chance.
Here the camera did not quite get the color and intensity right, but at least the picture is relatively sharp this time. I believe this is as far as I can push the Pickle Jar Device. Does this qualify for Plasma Club "membership"? :-)

Earlier today, 06-18-2006 15:56:
I have made a few improvements to the Pickle Jar Demo Fusor, including a reworked mesh "shell" that covers the bottom end (the "viewport" is now on the side of the jar, where a circular hole has been made in the mesh) and a new, more robust rectifier. I am currently letting the A20 pump at it for a while to remove residual moisture from earlier today when I was working to remove the label on the jar. A decent pressure gauge would be really nice, but unfortunately that will have to wait until I actually have money to spend...
Later tonight I will apply power once again and see if I can get any closer to a poissor and a spot in the Plasma Club... :-)

Archived due to the unique nature of this attempt in a pickle jar!!! R.H.
Attachments
06-18-2006_N2_plasma.jpg
06-18-2006_first_light.jpg

Return to “Images du Jour”