Archived - It's alive!

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Adam Szendrey

Archived - It's alive!

Post by Adam Szendrey » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:02 pm

Well, there she blows :) Cathode is rather assymetric, this the funnels. I used a small flyback , driven by a single transistor (fed by a 20 V variable supply, and "clocked" by a function generator) to get this.Crude but effective setup for a demo :).

Now that's what i call "point contact diode" :) (other end is connected to the flyback).

Here's the setup, the HV feed is inside the teflon tubing under the chamber. The diode is inside the tube, you can see it right under the baseplate (where the tube seems narrower). This is ofcourse just a temporary installation, so i can show something to folks asking questions :).

And below is what i get with only the rotary running (i didn't turn on the diff pump, this time the rotary pulled down fast and deep), colors are rather off, and ofcourse the camera sees what the human eye can't, thus the brightness.

Jon Rosenstiel

Re: It's alive!

Post by Jon Rosenstiel » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:23 pm

Congratulations, Adam. Bet you couldn't sleep after this!

Jon Rosenstiel

Q

Post by Q » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:30 pm

way to go, adam!
congratulations on first plasma!!

Q

Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:42 pm

Thanks guys :)

DaveC

Post by DaveC » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:11 pm

Adam - Congrats! Very nice work. True spirit of experimentation there.

You probably have this on your "to do" list, but it would very interesting to see how a precision centering of the inner cage over the apparent center of the plasma sphere, affects the jet size, location and number.

Dave Cooper

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:23 pm

Good going there, Adam. I will add your name to the Plasma Club list.

I have also archived your effort.

That glow is about a 30-40 micron glow. Wait 'til you hit 8-15 microns or so and the stars come out! Meanwhile, play with pressure voltage and current and a magnet.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:30 pm

The pirani gauge showed pressures under 10 microns, but that instrument is old, so it might be off. I'm planning to play around with loads of fun stuff, grid geometry, different magnetic fields, etc... I have a large cheramic ring magnet and a number of NIBs.
Btw, the glow destabilized as the rotary pumped down further, jumping from the 11 o'clock position to 5 o'clock, and back, rapidly (as it can be seen those are the two larger spacings). If the voltage was decreased there were two jets at the same time.
I have a video, i'm going to upload to an ftp server, so you can download it. It shows how the poissor forms, as the pressure drops.

Adam

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:59 pm

The glow you show above is definitely well above 20 microns, regardless of what your gauge says. (These old fusor eyes know.) As the pressure drops, the single jet thins to a line with no flaring. More drop will have the single line do a dance about the openings flitting around nervously. As pressure drops into the teens, two or more jets appear and, finally, just before the single micron digits, a star will form. Just a few microns lower and all glow extinguishes. This is a learned process. Every fusioneer sees it every time he pumps down.

A diff pump will not allow the star to form as it yanks the pressure down from 16 microns into the 10e-4 torr range very rapidly and the glow snuffs out.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:26 pm

At least i know that gauge is pretty mutch worthless :P.
Maybe with a needle valve, it's possible? Using it as a leak, to maintain the desired pressure even when the diff. is running.
I can't upload the video to the server where i wanted it to, but i'll keep trying (it's 41 megs). Here are two more shots:
Higher voltage , flickering between two jets:

Lower voltage, stable:

Adam

WH

Post by WH » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:24 pm

Adam, congratulations and good luck with your experiments!

Wilfried Heil