Archived - Nearly finished vac chamber UPDATE#1

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
UG!

Archived - Nearly finished vac chamber UPDATE#1

Post by UG! »

Note* I have achived this mainly due to the fact that it shows that a fusor can be assembled from surplus junk vacuum "tee"s and other fittings. This can save $$$ over fabricating the classic spherical fusor. RH

I have added a picture of the first plasma achieved. sorry for poor quality. 800V about 20mA mystory preasure, air atmosphere.

Oliver

here are some pics of my fusor. despite some setbacks i have managed to come up with something reasonable.

The first pic shows (from the top down) the HV feed through, the top of the chamber, the main chamber with 3 CF flanges and 2 other random flanges. To the left of the main chamber there is a valve on top of which the RGA will sit. To the right is a multi-way feed through (mainly just to seal the port at the moment). The flange covered in foil will be the viewport. Under the main chamber there is a baffle then the turbo pump. There are assorted capacitance manometers in the bottom of the pic. The entire UHV assembly features about 50 years worth of flange standards and non-standards

The second pic shown a close up of the atmosphere side of the HV feed through. It was made out of a butterfly valve and a salvaged feed through. To suppress corona and arcing at higher voltages, the hole feed through and cable connection will be immersed in oil. There is already a handy o-ring grove to seal an oil containing cup against.

The 3rd pic is a closeup of the vacuum side of the feed through. Welded with my homemade TIG :) if onley the welds on the main chamber had turned out that neat.

the 4th pic of of my rather lame foreline/backing pump, a single stage edwards. I worry i will have to purchase superior pump at great expense :(

all of this was scavenged with the exception of the capacitance guages which (which need repair) and the RGA, at a combined total of £35 ish from ebay:)

i will be making the viewport tomorrow and hopefully doing some vacuum tests before next week

Oliver
Attachments
DSCN0475.JPG
DSCN0483.JPG
DSCN0485.JPG
plasma1.jpg
Adam Szendrey

Re: nearly finished vac chamber

Post by Adam Szendrey »

Really nice! And for such a small investment (in money i mean, time and effort is another issue :) )!

Adam
DaveC

Re: nearly finished vac chamber

Post by DaveC »

Oliver -

You are definitely on your way to a good experimental device. Wishing you good success.

Dave Cooper

Return to “Images du Jour”