Finn Hammer, neutron club application

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Finn Hammer

Re: Finn Hammer, neutron club application

Post by Finn Hammer »

To all you who have helped and supported me in the quest for neutrons!
Thank you! Without you, I would never have made it.
It was back in 2017 when I looked into the viewport of Bernhard Schistad's fusor, that I was finally hooked into doing fusion, and now, here I am with a potent fusion system.
-Still, so much more to learn.
Taming the russian neutron counters, Gammaspectroskopy, are topics on the list, more activation of course.
But for now, a week away from it all, I have promised to refurbish my daughters bathroom in Copenhagen.

Cheers for now, Finn Hammer
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Finn,

I knew Doc Bussard's engineer, Tom Ligon since 1996. He tried to interest me in the fusor back then. He sent me his article, yet to be published on the fusor. I was interested, but only in a passing way as I was deep into working with the Tesla magnifier at that time. However, like you, Finn, when Tom showed up with his desiccator fusor that Bussard had urged him to construct, literally overnight, and bring to the 1997 Teslathon, ( Now HEAS conference), and I peered into that glowing central void, I was hooked!! From that day forward Tesla coils would forever be in decline.

It is amazing how that single image on that one day would change the direction of my work. It would see a profound change in me and become a mission that I would take on to create and use fusion for my own edification and research. I would do my best to stimulate others in a like manner. Tom did not know it then, but his mission was accomplished.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Tom Ligon photo taken in 1997 at the Teslathon.  Tom was tasked by Doc Bussard to take the fusor to "the people"  Tom triggered me and I triggered all the rest with the help of Songs.com and the enabling by th' perfesser, Paul Schatzkin for the public venue on the web.
Tom Ligon photo taken in 1997 at the Teslathon. Tom was tasked by Doc Bussard to take the fusor to "the people" Tom triggered me and I triggered all the rest with the help of Songs.com and the enabling by th' perfesser, Paul Schatzkin for the public venue on the web.
Ligon's 1997 Teslathon demo fusor (nalgene desiccator)
Ligon's 1997 Teslathon demo fusor (nalgene desiccator)
Closeup of the inside of the Ligon desiccator fusor
Closeup of the inside of the Ligon desiccator fusor
This view changed the direction of my work in 1997!  I could, for the first time, link what I had read with what I saw, and with my knowledge of nuclear physics, understood that fusion was a doable thing at the amateur level.
This view changed the direction of my work in 1997! I could, for the first time, link what I had read with what I saw, and with my knowledge of nuclear physics, understood that fusion was a doable thing at the amateur level.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Finn Hammer

Post by Finn Hammer »

I have done demos on schools, with a focus on magnetics, to try to plant a seed in the kids, that science and technology is a good thing and a fascinating thing.
Permanent magnets, elektromagnets, disk launcher, coilgun, and a tesla coil, of course.
I thought a fusor would be a nice addition to the show.
There will be issues related to radiation and safety in general, I hope to get that sorted. Probably just a low voltage demo fusor. The media talk about fusion ever so often, but most people relate plasma to blood products. So to be able to tell the kids, and their teachers too: Here you have it, this is what it looks like, and that temperature thing is impressive, (but not the way that you think).
Apart from turning the kids on to the technical world, I also want to show kids, that with a bit of focus, ordinary people like myself can acheive things.
Cheers, Finn Hammer
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Great work on all fronts, Finn. When one has the "fire in the belly", spreading that fire to others via teaching efforts is the coin of tomorrow.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Images du Jour”