First-Time Demo Fusor Build-Plasma Club Application

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Tim Krilov

First-Time Demo Fusor Build-Plasma Club Application

Post by Tim Krilov »

I've been lurking in this forum for a good while when I was building my demo fusor, but I think I've finally finished it up to my satisfaction, delayed mainly because of money issues, and am ready to create a post about it.
I created a demo fusor that's a slightly modified version of the Makezine one.
I had a thick borosilicate glass tube sandwiched between two aluminum discs as my vacuum chamber. Vacuum pump is a Robinair one that's rated for a pressure of 15 microns. I have an electrical vacuum gauge made by CPS that is capable of reading down to 1 micron. My power supply is a 15 kV 30 mA NST connected to a Variac that I hooked up to a rectifier. I have a Fluke 1000:1 HV probe that is capable of reading up to 40 kV and an analog ammeter to measure current and voltage.
Here's some pics of the full setup:
20210525_213211.jpg
20210525_213157.jpg
And a selfie of me with the fusor:
20210525_213420.jpg
Here's some nice pics I got of the plasma:
Some well-defined jets-2mA, 730 V, 80 micron
20210301_223821.jpg
2.5ish mA, 800 V, 60 micron
20210301_230340.jpg
I tried bumping the voltage up until I hit the 30mA max of my transformer and got a nice plasma glow:
28mA, 2170 V, 60 micron
20210225_204443.jpg
Overall, this project definitely taught me a lot about handling vacuums and high voltage, two topics that I had practically zero background in when I started this. I'm a bit apprehensive about starting work on a full-blown fusor, mainly because I will be a college student for the next few years and I'm not sure where I can dredge up the several thousand dollars needed to make one. I really do want to though, and I'm currently scouring eBay to try to find some cheaper parts, as well as saving up some money, and I'm hopeful that sometime in the near future I'll be able to achieve fusion!
Mark Rowley

Re: First-Time Demo Fusor Build-Plasma Club Application

Post by Mark Rowley »

Outstanding work Tim. Congrats on achieving this important milestone.

Mark Rowley
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I am glad you got the glow mode plasma and good work, but sorry, entry into the plasma club is denied.

Read carefully the absolute specific requirements for this milestone step. We will no linger accept a glow in a jar. You must give specific data regarding the conditions observed in the image. Use your instruments!

It would have been nice if you had joined the forums a while back an shown us you project as it developed. We do not like instant claimants appearing out of the aether that is the internet.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=13

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Tim Krilov

Post by Tim Krilov »

Hey Richard,
I posted the voltage, current, and pressure ratings as I measured them for every picture of the plasma I had. What other measurements do you require?
Also I'm sorry about the out of the blue post, but I honestly just wasn't really sure about what to post-if I ever start work on an actual fusor I'll be sure to post my journey more extensively.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Mea Culpa.... I was so entranced by the pretty images that I didn't effectively see the captions...Naturally, that is why I did not read the captions. I must have been in a trace induced by the quality of the images...You are in the Plasma club. Sorry, again. Every body gets to step up to the plate and get egg on their face.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Images du Jour”