Auxiliary Electronics Module

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Cade Neely

Auxiliary Electronics Module

Post by Cade Neely »

As I mentioned in my vacuum system post, the main design factor for my vacuum system was remote operation. The advantages of remote operation are reduced radiation shielding and distance from the high voltage power supply. To accomplish this I designed a module that would allow me to control the backing pump, turbo, fans, vent valve, and gauges from the comfort of my control panel. This module was the auxiliary electronics module.

The auxiliary electronics module is composed of the main board, backing pump relay, 24v dc power supply, switch port, and turbo/gauge ports for easy connection and disconnection from the control panel. The main board houses four relays which control the turbo and fusor fans, TAV valve, and backing pump relay. The auxiliary module relays are controlled by switches in the control panel. The TAV vent valve is controlled by the software on the TIC. The software is setup such that the TAV vent valve will only close when the turbo is starting or on a time delay. This was inconvenient, so I designed a way around this. When starting the backing pump, I engaged the TAV override via a switch and the DC power supply in the module closed the valve. Once the turbo started, the switch could be turned off and the TIC would power the valve. This is an important safety feature as this setup will always ensure that the valve does not open when the turbo is still running at full speed. It only allows the valve to open when the TIC is not powering it.

I plan to expand this setup eventually to accommodate communication for the remote fusor throttle valve, deuterium electrolysis setup, and gas regulation and needle valve assembly. This module was a mini side project of sorts as it required drawing a schematic, designing a custom pcb, and assembling and testing the module. I learned a lot in these areas, and the skills learned will be useful in the rest of this project. I am currently working on the high voltage supply and high voltage feedthrough. The power supply has not been tested yet, and I am currently experiencing some problems with the high voltage feedthrough. In spite of these problems, I hope to have plasma within the next month.
Attachments
Auxiliary module mounted on cart. The copper ring around the fan on top is a used conflat gasket. (used for aesthetic purposes)
Auxiliary module mounted on cart. The copper ring around the fan on top is a used conflat gasket. (used for aesthetic purposes)
A view inside
A view inside
A view with ethernet ports removed
A view with ethernet ports removed
The side ports and ground post
The side ports and ground post
Control panel switches and circuit board
Control panel switches and circuit board
Another control panel view
Another control panel view
Richard Hull

Re: Auxiliary Electronics Module

Post by Richard Hull »

Remote operation is an ideal setup even if you never make a single fusion. You are at least setup should you start really kicking out neutrons and x-rays. If you have the space and money for some of the more intricate and special remoting gear that is fool proof in operation, then it is a real joy. Stick with interlocking relays to do the real work and shun any electronics if possible. You don't know what multi-amp RFI pulses and arcing can do to normal electronics. Shielding can be a joke is the worse scenarios. Copper wires running to heavy relay coils activating heavy metallic contacts, tend to turn their nose up to sparks and arcs, RFI and EMI.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Bob Reite

Re: Auxiliary Electronics Module

Post by Bob Reite »

Yep, there is a lot to be said for old school relay ladder logic with physical relays, not fragile PLCs
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Return to “Images du Jour”