Catalytic converter shield augmentation?

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Rich Feldman

Catalytic converter shield augmentation?

Post by Rich Feldman »

Please bear with my claim to be relevant, briefly, in this forum.
On Thanksgiving day, my old Prius joined the ranks of catalytic converter theft victims. It's the most popular type for that crime, 'cause the CC can be pulled exceptionally fast (2 bolts & 1 saw cut) and is exceptionally valuable ($400 as honestly obtained scrap). No aftermarket replacement is authorized in CA; need for OEM part makes repair cost about $3000.
cat1.jpg
I'd been aware of the risk for more than a year, and belatedly sprang for an anti-theft shield product (from www.getcatsecurity.com), hoping to deter the next attack. On local Nextdoor forum a few people have reported anti-theft products being cut for a second steal.
cat2.jpg
The aluminum sheet is thinner than I expected: about 0.085" (2.2 mm). Held on with mixture of big pop rivets and screws with one-way-twist heads.
Makes me imagine a contest of speed at the thieves' convention, using tools and methods selected for this popular model.
Not counting the round "nose" end in front, one could drill out or cut off 14 fastener heads, or cut about 16 lineal inches of metal sheet on each side (with some saw obstructions on the back side), or maybe shorter cuts closer to midline of vehicle. I think the metal is too thick (12 gauge?) for most battery-powered sheet metal nibblers or shears.

How about DIY modifications to augment the protection? Enough to make conventionally prepared thieves skip my car.
Idea 1: cover some or all fastener heads with glued-on caps of hard material.
Idea 2: add a crossbar that would take a while to cut with Sawzall or abrasive wheel. Perhaps rectangular steel tube (3/4"?) with hard round rod (s) inside. Ceramic? I have some 3/8" diameter rod of niobium C-103, which is almost immune to abrasive cutting wheels but is not hard to saw.
Idea 3: Overt or covert electric wires which make something happen if cut. One commercial cat protector does that with an electronic siren, but how much noise can that make concealed in engine compartment? How 'bout a "flash-bang" grenade, like ones powered by CO2 for paintball games? Pepper spray? Ink spray? Mustn't risk actually injuring someone, for example junkyard personnel if something happens to me before the car.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Richard Hull

Re: Catalytic converter shield augmentation?

Post by Richard Hull »

The prices for Rhodium are the cause of what was once a $500 converter go to $3000.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause »

This past winter up in Edmonton, my catalytic converter on my Honda CR-V was nearly stolen twice, both times a thief with a sawzall was interrupted and only managed to mangle my exhaust pipe. Was much cheaper than $3000 to get the exhaust welded and repaired but still deeply annoying.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

As long as Rhodium hangs at nearly $15,000/troy ounce and Palladium near $2500/troy ounce, newer cars will be a prime target for scrapping while still making your newer car payments. I am blessed in that of my 6 automobiles the newest is 1994 which was before the Rhodium, palladium, platinum mixed alloy was used in manufacture of the converters.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Images du Jour”