Six Inch Cross Fusor

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Jim Kovalchick

Re: Six Inch Cross Fusor

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

I've made some improvements to my cross fusor including getting rid of a wicked leak and arranging the fittings for easier accesses for activation. I believe that I am operating in the 2 x 10⁶ TIER realm. Today I operated at 55 kV and 15 mA for an activation time of 15 minutes. My target was a two inch indium foil.

I'm not satisfied with my NaI detector, peak shaping, and calibration, but it had no problem seeing the lower dominant indium gamma in 900 seconds of counting.

This is getting fun.

Jim K
Attachments
1628347570671_image.png
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Jim and I follow each others work almost daily via e-mail. Jim now has a nice large fusor that is doing great. I applaud his effort and friendship in working things out a bit, especially in regards to our old PNC-1 and remball data collections. Nice work Jim!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
russssellcrow

Post by russssellcrow »

Jim Kovalchick,

Your Tungsten Carbide electrode is brilliant!

WC (tungsten carbide) is a neutron reflector, is this a bad thing in the fusor star? Would it enhance fusion yield, or be counterproductive?

WC was used in the original initiator feedback experiments
(Demon Core) during the Manhattan Project, to reflect neutrons back into the initiator. Lewis Slotin fried himself in one experiment, and became a casualty of the project.
Attachments
Partially-reflected-plutonium-sphere.jpeg

Return to “Images du Jour”