Demo Fusor Progression

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Jim Enright

Demo Fusor Progression

Post by Jim Enright »

My son and I had spent time over the Summer building a demo fusor, mostly following the Make Magazine plans, and we were admitted to the Plasma Club. But we didn't want to end there so we had started thinking about constructing a similar set up using a stainless steel tee. Although we eventually want to build a fully functioning fusor, we are taking small steps trying to learn all we can along the way. We have gathered some of the 2.75" stainless steel conflat parts (which also includes a 6-way cross that we are intending to use for the fusor). The inner grid is 1/2" in diameter and made of 1mm stainless steel (although I think we will make it of 1mm tungsten wire, which is shown in the picture). For now, we will continue using the 15kV NST, variac, and Yellow Jacket 2-stage 8 CFM vacuum pump for the stainless steel vacuum chamber (the pictures of the electronics are from the demo fusor made with the borosilicate glass cylinder but I'm including the pictures to show those items). To seal the flanges, we are using viton gaskets. One of our current challenges is metering but we have followed information available in the FAQ's, purchased some gauges, and will be looking to get started on that part of the project soon. Although we do not necessarily need a full metering system for a demo fusor, it will help us to better understand the plasma in our chamber, and start collecting data. I am attaching pictures of some of the parts we have started gathering, and will provide updates as we progress. We are hoping to have the stainless steel vacuum chamber running in the upcoming week.
Attachments
IMG_0556.jpg
Parts.jpg
Parts 2.jpg
Stainless Steel Vacuum Chamber.jpg
Inner Grid.jpg
IMG_0625.JPG
IMG_0624.JPG
IMG_0625.JPG
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't — you're right." Henry Ford
Richard Hull

Re: Demo Fusor Progression

Post by Richard Hull »

Good work! Knowing what the pressure, voltage and currents are will teach you all about the behaviors of visible plasmas and how to control them.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Get those instruments up and runningwith a plasma and then re-apply (the old list was purged to reflect the higher requirements now) for the new posting for the Plasma Club.
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Nice to see all those conflat fittings and gauges! You guys are definitely starting off on the right path.

Mark Rowley

Return to “Images du Jour”