HEAS 2020 Photo Archives post your images here!

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Aidan_Roy

Re: HEAS 2020 Photo Archives post your images here!

Post by Aidan_Roy »

Sorry for the poor image quality, iPhone cameras do not like nighttime but I guess something is better than nothing. Anybody else with better pics feel free to post as well.

Edit add on: the light around the engine running off heat from a tiny burner is coming from several LEDs being lit by a generator attached to the little sterling engine.

RH
Attachments
Sterling Engine presentation
Sterling Engine presentation
Sterling Engine Closeup
Sterling Engine Closeup
Susan51160

Post by Susan51160 »

https://youtu.be/AD9RYT7OpIQ

Video showing Luke Harrill, (unidentified), Jim Kovalchick and Frank Sanns at HEAS 2020.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Frank without a mask!!!!............ He did, indeed, tend to keep his mask on rather continuously throughout the entire event. He and others were doing a good job of distancing however in Susan's video. Add to this distancing, being outdoors in fresh air and a brilliant sun in a cloudless sky with lots of UV helped for the maskless folks which was about 20% of us. I wore my mask religiously for the first 2 hours and then ditched it totally and relied on distancing for the rest of the day. I wore it to enter every restaurant Friday, Saturday and Sunday due to local regulations. As everyone of those who dined with my wife and I over those three days observed, once seated, all the masks came off. I saw not one person dining with a mask on. The servers and staff were all wearing a masks in all restaurants, as per the 50% capacity and table distancing rules were fully observed.

Not one person who came to HEAS contracted covid and that was nice.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Richard,
Of course it pleases me a great deal to hear that no one contacted covid while at HEAS. I personally have been tested twice since then for work purposes with negative results. I have since traveled internationally and have managed to remain symptom free. It can be done! I'm glad I didn't let the pandemic deter me from attending HEAS. Thanks for hosting it again.

Jim K
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

It is not fun wearing a mask all day for work or for socialization. No argument there. Yes, I am busted in the video and in some photos. Time is short in our lives and it is indeed a balance between risks and rewards.

I did in fact did not wear a mask when we were outside and people respected the roughly 10 foot self distancing rule. When people started to huddle close, it went on and it was on 100% of the time indoors. I think it was a good compromise for those of us going that route. The more die hards like Jim Kovalchick, did keep his on the entire time I think. Respect for those that honored others wishes and did what they needed to do for their own situations.

It was a good HEAS and I am glad those of us that showed up pushed through the travel difficulties to get there. Thanks for hosting us for yet another year Richard!
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks to all who braved the virus to attend and for the personal kudos. Now.......On to the next big HEAS event #32 in 2021. We can only hope the worst of this constipated periodic will be a distant memory. If not, I will hold #32 anyway!!.... So start to stack up you junk and excess sales stuff to make money so that you can buy other folks offerings next year at the flea market. It is "stuff-for-stuff" at the flea market with the greasy money substances being the intermediary linkage. I took in $xxxx dollars selling, but spent $xxxx + $200 dollars while doing frenzied buying. A net loss, sure, but that will not hurt me. Yet, I smile broadly as I picked up a lot of great stuff!

See y'all next year.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

Now that I know exactly how your flea market works and the space allowed for it, I plan to bring surplus vacuum and electronic goodies next year. Of course, you know that the minute I sell something, I'll need it next week.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

All I can say is that complete vacuum system for sale was a golden oppurtunity - never would have missed that one if I was there! Really a great deal.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Glad to hear you are going to be a seller, Bob! When we get back up to the more normal 50+ attendees, following Covid, you will see another 3 sellers, (who demurred this year), plus yourself in my side yard venue. Yes, I have, on many occasions, went hunting around the lab for something I knew I had, only to remember I sold it at HEAS 2 or 3 years ago thinking I would never use it. Rats!

Likewise, I have been approached about a specific item during HEAS which I might sell. I knew I had it! Upon looking for it in the heat of the moment, I failed to locate it. Then, 2 weeks after HEAS, I stumble across a box with 5 of those very items in it. Let's face it, you just can't win them all.

That very low priced full turbo vacuum system tempted many people. Warren had to continuously wipe the drool off the case from those giving it a good look over. Either no one who really wanted it or needed it had the cash to buy it or those who admired it, and had the cash to buy it, already had a nice vacuum system. Even I eyed it as a possible compact testing system at the low, probably, "never to see again" price. Alas, all demurred and Warren packed it up and took it home. If he still has it, maybe next year. I did, at 3 AM Sunday morning, purchase a duplicate TCP-040 turbo pump as a spare from Warren as he slashed his price one last time just before he left. Larry Adams did buy a complete turbo system with cables and controller from Warren early in the frenzied buying period of the flea-market.

The frenzied period is from (10AM to 11 AM). Fortunately, no battles came to fisticuffs over two buyers wanting the same great rarity they found for sale. From 11 AM to 4 PM, sales continued, but at a more reasoned pace, with zero competition and many sellers reducing the prices of their wares so as not to have to pack them up and take them home. Long after dark, when all goods are packed away, some few final sales are made with folks borrowing a lab flashlight to return to their vehicle to pull out some treasure on which an offer is made that he can't refuse.

Fun to be had Friday evening and all day Saturday into the chilly, near dawn, Sunday, dew soaked parking area. Then, for yours truly, 3 hours of sleep, and then, up at 8AM for breakfast with those who stayed in motels for a final communion and goodbye. Home to clean up the yard and lab and then, at noon, into the arms of Morpheus until the wife wakes me for supper. Whew!

Richard Hull
Attachments
3 AM Sunday morning buy from Warren "the vacuum guy"  I had to have it!!
3 AM Sunday morning buy from Warren "the vacuum guy" I had to have it!!

Return to “Images du Jour”