HEAS 2020 Photo Archives post your images here!

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Richard Hull

HEAS 2020 Photo Archives post your images here!

Post by Richard Hull »

This is the only post into which you should place your images of the event. Post them as a reply. Feel free to give your impressions of the event with your images. I will place an old image here to start the ball rolling from the 1999 HEAS flea market, 21 years ago.

Richard Hull
Attachments
21 years ago....Just a small sample of stuff for sale by my lab.  The material in the side yard was 10 times what is seen here.
21 years ago....Just a small sample of stuff for sale by my lab. The material in the side yard was 10 times what is seen here.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: HEAS 2020 Photo Archives post your images here!

Post by Frank Sanns »

First picture of the 2020 HEAS is Richard and his argon wall. No vacuum pump needed.
Attachments
8F89DE7A-74C3-4919-950F-4977F7A6DA10.jpeg
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Friday night neutrons. Bob Reite and I benchmarked neutron indication against Richard's newest fusor and He3 tube. That's Bob's REM ball under the fusor and the black drain pipe is my Russian tube surrounded by HDPE granules.
Attachments
20201002_201134.jpg
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Here is a thermal image of Richard reaching to adjust gas flow on his fusor. The fusor is obvious but can you see his bara-cell vacuum instrument with the internal heater? Small box to left of fusor above Richard's hand.
Attachments
20201003_074328.jpg
Aidan_Roy

Post by Aidan_Roy »

Here are some of the days highlights I captured. Mostly just people having a good time talking with one another and looking at things.
Attachments
ADCDD1EA-A3D5-4547-96A8-4E2D1E122AF4.jpeg
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Pic
Attachments
20201003_124343.jpg
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Pic
Attachments
20201003_124346.jpg
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Pic
Attachments
20201003_124339.jpg
Michael Griffith

Post by Michael Griffith »

Attachments
IMG_20201003_114806.jpg
IMG_20201003_115128.jpg
IMG_20201003_131139.jpg
IMG_20201003_131143.jpg
IMG_20201003_150444.jpg
IMG_20201003_150500.jpg
IMG_20201003_150524.jpg
IMG_20201003_150525.jpg
IMG_20201003_150629.jpg
IMG_20201003_150527.jpg
IMG_20201003_120050~2.jpg
IMG_20201003_150651.jpg
IMG_20201003_150906.jpg
IMG_20201003_150906~2.jpg
IMG_20201003_151121.jpg
IMG_20201003_151236.jpg
IMG_20201003_151336_1.jpg
IMG_20201003_151425.jpg
IMG_20201003_151435.jpg
IMG_20201003_150808.jpg
Michael Griffith

Post by Michael Griffith »

Attachments
IMG_20201003_112215.jpg
IMG_20201003_114739.jpg
Susan51160

Post by Susan51160 »

This is on the Saturday of the sale. This first set is the items outside the lab for sale and various items inside the lab. Please feel free to caption any or all of the photos.
Attachments
At Richard's sales table, Richard explains to Aiden and Frank Sanns
At Richard's sales table, Richard explains to Aiden and Frank Sanns
Jim Kovalchick and Bill Kolb visit Michael Griffin's sales table
Jim Kovalchick and Bill Kolb visit Michael Griffin's sales table
Richard talks to Frank Sanns as he looks down at various items.
Richard talks to Frank Sanns as he looks down at various items.
DSC01492.JPG
DSC01489.JPG
DSC01486.JPG
DSC01483.JPG
DSC01481.JPG
DSC01475.JPG
DSC01474.JPG
DSC01472.JPG
DSC01471.JPG
DSC01470.JPG
DSC01469.JPG
DSC01468.JPG
DSC01467.JPG
Susan51160

Post by Susan51160 »

This set is the sellers out front and also upstairs in the lab.
Attachments
DSC01465.JPG
Franks Sanns lectures Joe Gayo, his wife and Bob Reite on some erudite subject
Franks Sanns lectures Joe Gayo, his wife and Bob Reite on some erudite subject
DSC01463.JPG
DSC01462.JPG
DSC01461.JPG
DSC01458.JPG
DSC01457.JPG
The next four images are of item in the rarely seen and well hidden upper stairs area in the lab.  I opened it this year to serious buyers.  I was pleased this time that folks kept the organized clutter, organized and did not trash the place.  Thanks go out to all you guys and gals!
The next four images are of item in the rarely seen and well hidden upper stairs area in the lab. I opened it this year to serious buyers. I was pleased this time that folks kept the organized clutter, organized and did not trash the place. Thanks go out to all you guys and gals!
DSC01454.JPG
DSC01453.JPG
DSC01452.JPG
Susan51160

Post by Susan51160 »

More from the sale. And also Growler and Rocket.
Attachments
DSC01448.JPG
DSC01447.JPG
DSC01446.JPG
DSC01445.JPG
DSC01444.JPG
DSC01443.JPG
DSC01441.JPG
DSC01440.JPG
Susan51160

Post by Susan51160 »

FUSOR 5'
Attachments
DSC01438.JPG
DSC01435.JPG
DSC01434.JPG
DSC01433.JPG
DSC01432.JPG
DSC01431.JPG
DSC01430.JPG
DSC01429.JPG
DSC01428.JPG
DSC01427.JPG
Susan51160

Post by Susan51160 »

This is just a hodge-podge of the day . All in all it was a great event!!
Attachments
Larry Adams looks over Warren Ellingsen's vacuum goodies.  You will note the lovely clear blue sky for the even.
Larry Adams looks over Warren Ellingsen's vacuum goodies. You will note the lovely clear blue sky for the even.
Richard and George look over Michael Griffin's offerings.
Richard and George look over Michael Griffin's offerings.
DSC01424.JPG
DSC01423.JPG
Kit Hull, (th' boss).  You have to see her first, to sign in.
Kit Hull, (th' boss). You have to see her first, to sign in.
DSC01421.JPG
DSC01420.JPG
DSC01419.JPG
Richard Hull with his Wife, Kit (Kathryn)  Kit takes up the $10 attendance fee, logs all names into the record book of past and current event attendees and hands out name tags (Thanks to Andrew for making them up)
Richard Hull with his Wife, Kit (Kathryn) Kit takes up the $10 attendance fee, logs all names into the record book of past and current event attendees and hands out name tags (Thanks to Andrew for making them up)
Luke Herrill checks a giant fiesta ware plate for radiation with his Ludlum counter.
Luke Herrill checks a giant fiesta ware plate for radiation with his Ludlum counter.
DSC01410.JPG
DSC01408.JPG
DSC01406.JPG
Frank Sanns and Luke Herrill pose for the camera
Frank Sanns and Luke Herrill pose for the camera
Bill Kolb at his sales area talking with Jim Kovalchick
Bill Kolb at his sales area talking with Jim Kovalchick
DSC01399.JPG
Andrew Robinson
Andrew Robinson
Warren Ellingsen (vacuum sales guy)
Warren Ellingsen (vacuum sales guy)
Jim Kovalchick and Frank Sanns talk as Jim sets up his sales area
Jim Kovalchick and Frank Sanns talk as Jim sets up his sales area
David Rosignoli

Post by David Rosignoli »

Thanks Susan for posting photos!
For those who wish we could attend (like me) can someone provide some captions?

Dave
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Agreed! If you post images, please at least note who is in the images. A face remains a face until identified. A single line under your photo will suffice.

The event went off far better than I might have hoped for. We had a total of 30 souls attend. Lots of sales. Thousands of list price dollars in valued and important scientific gear and books were bought, sold and traded. The last cash sale of the flea market was made at 3 am Sunday morning and the last to leave was near sun-up Sunday. Fabulous event. Fusor V was run 4 times in total with data taken each time using My 3He system, Jim Kovalchick's neutron counter and importantly, Bob Reite's calibrated neutron rem ball. (More important data on this in the neutron forum, soon.) I ran my Argon Wall, Kevin Dunn demo'd his two sterling engines. Jim Kovalchick gave a great talk of the state of the nuclear industry and his role over the years within it. Joe Gayo gave a run down on his work and helped in the complex, multi-handed operation of fusor V which allowed me to function more fluidly and effectively during data collection.

Thanks go out to all in attendance. I had a blast! I bought great stuff and sold a good deal of my extra supplies collected over many years.

I will attach a group of my few images with an example of what we would like to see in the way of image descriptions below the images.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Warren Ellingsen, standing, talks with Andrew Robinson, seated, at his sales area
Warren Ellingsen, standing, talks with Andrew Robinson, seated, at his sales area
Another local HEAS member, George Weistroffer, sits at his sales table.
Another local HEAS member, George Weistroffer, sits at his sales table.
Lew Stetz, a regular seller trys to make a sale to Alex Tajnsek one of the Richmond regular HEAS members on the right.
Lew Stetz, a regular seller trys to make a sale to Alex Tajnsek one of the Richmond regular HEAS members on the right.
Bill Kolb at his sales table offering his books and other interesting items.
Bill Kolb at his sales table offering his books and other interesting items.
This one was tempting to every one!  A complete Alcatel vacuum station!!!  Wow! Warren Ellingsen's vacuum goodies are seen in the next 4 photos....$800 would get you this ready to rock and roll fore pump and 6" turbo fully hooked up and metered.  100 pounds of vacuum joy for the person who has the cash to not worry about assembling a first rate scientific vacuum system to hit 10e-6 torr.
This one was tempting to every one! A complete Alcatel vacuum station!!! Wow! Warren Ellingsen's vacuum goodies are seen in the next 4 photos....$800 would get you this ready to rock and roll fore pump and 6" turbo fully hooked up and metered. 100 pounds of vacuum joy for the person who has the cash to not worry about assembling a first rate scientific vacuum system to hit 10e-6 torr.
Got turbos??  You bet!
Got turbos?? You bet!
Valves a' plenty
Valves a' plenty
Buckets O' vacuum goodies
Buckets O' vacuum goodies
Warren's continued presence at HEAS over the last 10 years has really outfitted a lot of fusor folks with vacuum components at lower, yet, realistic prices.  I bought a duplicate TCP-040 turbo pump from him this go around.
Warren's continued presence at HEAS over the last 10 years has really outfitted a lot of fusor folks with vacuum components at lower, yet, realistic prices. I bought a duplicate TCP-040 turbo pump from him this go around.
Larry Adams at his sale area.  He had a lot of those rare multi-gigohm, glass resistors for sale in many different values.
Larry Adams at his sale area. He had a lot of those rare multi-gigohm, glass resistors for sale in many different values.
Joe Gayo and his wife, Helen, look over some of Richard's offerings. (Delightful couple and good to finally meet Joe in person)  The Gayos wins the title of most distance attendees
Joe Gayo and his wife, Helen, look over some of Richard's offerings. (Delightful couple and good to finally meet Joe in person) The Gayos wins the title of most distance attendees
Bill Kolb looks over Michael Griffin's table...( Michael's table was one of the most visited due to his goods and low prices.)
Bill Kolb looks over Michael Griffin's table...( Michael's table was one of the most visited due to his goods and low prices.)
Richard's sales table area of radiation instruments and electronic goodies
Richard's sales table area of radiation instruments and electronic goodies
Michael Griffin attempts to talk Aidan into buying something at his table of radiation detection materials.
Michael Griffin attempts to talk Aidan into buying something at his table of radiation detection materials.
Aidan and Michael Griffin at Michael's sales table
Aidan and Michael Griffin at Michael's sales table
A view of some of the sellers and buyers
A view of some of the sellers and buyers
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

Freshly machined ASRSG rotor for Alex's Tesla coil in VA. This was a long process over quite a few meetings to coordinate, discuss his design, machine in Raleigh, and get the parts up to him.
Freshly machined ASRSG rotor for Alex's Tesla coil in VA. This was a long process over quite a few meetings to coordinate, discuss his design, machine in Raleigh, and get the parts up to him.
Flip side of the G11 (Garolite) rotor showing the 6061 aluminum flange.
Flip side of the G11 (Garolite) rotor showing the 6061 aluminum flange.
Alex unboxing his new rotor for the first time. It was like a kid at Christmas time.
Alex unboxing his new rotor for the first time. It was like a kid at Christmas time.
Alex saying hello to the camera.
Alex saying hello to the camera.
The two of us together up at Alex's place to get the rotor installed into his coil ready for first light.
The two of us together up at Alex's place to get the rotor installed into his coil ready for first light.
Richard upstairs in his reloading room showing off some of his collection.
Richard upstairs in his reloading room showing off some of his collection.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Aidan_Roy

Post by Aidan_Roy »

Just s'more pics:
Attachments
Awesome pic of grid that Richard melted
Awesome pic of grid that Richard melted
Richard operating his fusor V
Richard operating his fusor V
Sunday clean-up crew when I returned to pick up some chairs I forgot from the night before.
Sunday clean-up crew when I returned to pick up some chairs I forgot from the night before.
Richard watching in the back as Jim Kovalchick measures the radiation being emitted from Richard's huge amount of uranium ore stored in the shed.
Richard watching in the back as Jim Kovalchick measures the radiation being emitted from Richard's huge amount of uranium ore stored in the shed.
Big group of the guys talking after dinner before the night time activities start.
Big group of the guys talking after dinner before the night time activities start.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Did anyone take a single photo of Kevin Dunn's sterling engines. I am stunned no one posted any. If any one has photos of the evening demo run at HEAS, post them please.

Richard Hull
Aidan_Roy

Post by Aidan_Roy »

Sorry for the poor image quality, iPhone cameras do not like nighttime but I guess something is better than nothing. Anybody else with better pics feel free to post as well.

Edit add on: the light around the engine running off heat from a tiny burner is coming from several LEDs being lit by a generator attached to the little sterling engine.

RH
Attachments
Sterling Engine presentation
Sterling Engine presentation
Sterling Engine Closeup
Sterling Engine Closeup
Susan51160

Post by Susan51160 »

https://youtu.be/AD9RYT7OpIQ

Video showing Luke Harrill, (unidentified), Jim Kovalchick and Frank Sanns at HEAS 2020.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Frank without a mask!!!!............ He did, indeed, tend to keep his mask on rather continuously throughout the entire event. He and others were doing a good job of distancing however in Susan's video. Add to this distancing, being outdoors in fresh air and a brilliant sun in a cloudless sky with lots of UV helped for the maskless folks which was about 20% of us. I wore my mask religiously for the first 2 hours and then ditched it totally and relied on distancing for the rest of the day. I wore it to enter every restaurant Friday, Saturday and Sunday due to local regulations. As everyone of those who dined with my wife and I over those three days observed, once seated, all the masks came off. I saw not one person dining with a mask on. The servers and staff were all wearing a masks in all restaurants, as per the 50% capacity and table distancing rules were fully observed.

Not one person who came to HEAS contracted covid and that was nice.

Richard Hull
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Richard,
Of course it pleases me a great deal to hear that no one contacted covid while at HEAS. I personally have been tested twice since then for work purposes with negative results. I have since traveled internationally and have managed to remain symptom free. It can be done! I'm glad I didn't let the pandemic deter me from attending HEAS. Thanks for hosting it again.

Jim K
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

It is not fun wearing a mask all day for work or for socialization. No argument there. Yes, I am busted in the video and in some photos. Time is short in our lives and it is indeed a balance between risks and rewards.

I did in fact did not wear a mask when we were outside and people respected the roughly 10 foot self distancing rule. When people started to huddle close, it went on and it was on 100% of the time indoors. I think it was a good compromise for those of us going that route. The more die hards like Jim Kovalchick, did keep his on the entire time I think. Respect for those that honored others wishes and did what they needed to do for their own situations.

It was a good HEAS and I am glad those of us that showed up pushed through the travel difficulties to get there. Thanks for hosting us for yet another year Richard!
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS

Return to “Images du Jour”