HEAS 2020 Photo Archives post your images here!

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Richard Hull

Re: HEAS 2020 Photo Archives post your images here!

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks to all who braved the virus to attend and for the personal kudos. Now.......On to the next big HEAS event #32 in 2021. We can only hope the worst of this constipated periodic will be a distant memory. If not, I will hold #32 anyway!!.... So start to stack up you junk and excess sales stuff to make money so that you can buy other folks offerings next year at the flea market. It is "stuff-for-stuff" at the flea market with the greasy money substances being the intermediary linkage. I took in $xxxx dollars selling, but spent $xxxx + $200 dollars while doing frenzied buying. A net loss, sure, but that will not hurt me. Yet, I smile broadly as I picked up a lot of great stuff!

See y'all next year.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

Now that I know exactly how your flea market works and the space allowed for it, I plan to bring surplus vacuum and electronic goodies next year. Of course, you know that the minute I sell something, I'll need it next week.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

All I can say is that complete vacuum system for sale was a golden oppurtunity - never would have missed that one if I was there! Really a great deal.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Glad to hear you are going to be a seller, Bob! When we get back up to the more normal 50+ attendees, following Covid, you will see another 3 sellers, (who demurred this year), plus yourself in my side yard venue. Yes, I have, on many occasions, went hunting around the lab for something I knew I had, only to remember I sold it at HEAS 2 or 3 years ago thinking I would never use it. Rats!

Likewise, I have been approached about a specific item during HEAS which I might sell. I knew I had it! Upon looking for it in the heat of the moment, I failed to locate it. Then, 2 weeks after HEAS, I stumble across a box with 5 of those very items in it. Let's face it, you just can't win them all.

That very low priced full turbo vacuum system tempted many people. Warren had to continuously wipe the drool off the case from those giving it a good look over. Either no one who really wanted it or needed it had the cash to buy it or those who admired it, and had the cash to buy it, already had a nice vacuum system. Even I eyed it as a possible compact testing system at the low, probably, "never to see again" price. Alas, all demurred and Warren packed it up and took it home. If he still has it, maybe next year. I did, at 3 AM Sunday morning, purchase a duplicate TCP-040 turbo pump as a spare from Warren as he slashed his price one last time just before he left. Larry Adams did buy a complete turbo system with cables and controller from Warren early in the frenzied buying period of the flea-market.

The frenzied period is from (10AM to 11 AM). Fortunately, no battles came to fisticuffs over two buyers wanting the same great rarity they found for sale. From 11 AM to 4 PM, sales continued, but at a more reasoned pace, with zero competition and many sellers reducing the prices of their wares so as not to have to pack them up and take them home. Long after dark, when all goods are packed away, some few final sales are made with folks borrowing a lab flashlight to return to their vehicle to pull out some treasure on which an offer is made that he can't refuse.

Fun to be had Friday evening and all day Saturday into the chilly, near dawn, Sunday, dew soaked parking area. Then, for yours truly, 3 hours of sleep, and then, up at 8AM for breakfast with those who stayed in motels for a final communion and goodbye. Home to clean up the yard and lab and then, at noon, into the arms of Morpheus until the wife wakes me for supper. Whew!

Richard Hull
Attachments
3 AM Sunday morning buy from Warren "the vacuum guy"  I had to have it!!
3 AM Sunday morning buy from Warren "the vacuum guy" I had to have it!!
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Images du Jour”