Ameen Aydan - Plasma and operation

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Ameen Aydan

Ameen Aydan - Plasma and operation

Post by Ameen Aydan »

Hi all,

So I finally got my chamber assembled and pulled a vacuum on it about 3 weeks ago now. I got a plasma to light a few days ago and thought i would share my progress before I commit to fusion in a couple weeks. Here it is before assembly. I use a steel plate to secure it to my table.
IMG_0150.jpeg
My vacuum chamber consists of a 6 way 4.5" confalt cross. It is backed by a two stage alcatel 2002 pump. It relatively small but pulls a good vacuum (3 micron at the head). After pumping for 30 minutes, I get a pressure of 15 mTorr on my chamber. My turbo is a TPU050 that manages to get my chamber lower than 10E-5 and a day and night of operation. I use a sapphire valve as my gas input and an MKS901P gauge to measure the pressure inside the chamber. I had some bad knife edges but they were easily masked with some high vac grease. I will be using viton gaskets to help achieve a lower pressure later. The chamber isn't optimized for vacuum conductance but it works to the pressures needed. After fusion I will be changing the design since this chamber isn't only for the purpose of a fusor.
chamber without HV hooked up.
chamber without HV hooked up.
My high voltage is supplied with a modified Xray transformer and the feedthrough is similar to Andrew Seltzmans. He was the one who actually sold me the feedtrhough components. I also had some help from Liam David in its design. Here is a photo of the Swagelok seal that I used. I was having problems coming up with a good seal, so I opted to ditch the ferrules and just use orings as the main method to seal. It worked fine and was confirmed with an alcohol test to have no leaks.
the orings are squished between the top and bottom of the end cap
the orings are squished between the top and bottom of the end cap
My voltage is measured with a HV probe (up to 40kv DC). I just got some 10 ohm 50W resistors so I haven't measured the current as of yet. I used a variac to control my voltage. My main goal being to just get a plasma to light. At about 500v I get a very faint plasma, but increasing it I manage to achieve a brighter and more clear one. I can't seem to measure more than 1kv (explained in detail below) so I keep it at that voltage, but it's clear that I have a demo fusor.

Here is a photo of the full set up:
IMG_0226.jpeg
Pressure is below 100 mTorr when lit and decreases to 30 mTorr using the mechanical pump only. The following photo is my plasma at 60mTorr. Please excuse the horrendous grid I will be making a better one for my real fusor. The chamber is grounded.
IMG_0251.jpeg
Issues to fix

At the moment, I haven't been able to measure more than a thousand volts because my meter seems to glitch after getting over that voltage. I can't tell what is happening and I'm concerned that in operation up to 30kv it won't do it's job. It's possible that the probe its self is defective but I can't really tell. I connect the positive side of the probe to the negative output and the ground side to earth ground. I have feeling this is the cause of the issue but there's really nothing to back that up.

I also have an issue with my gauge. Once I apply a voltage to the grid, my computer start glitching out and the gauge read out just freezes. I'll be checking the manual to see how to protect the gauge from HV but until then I cant tell what my pressure is exactly. As such, the pressure before operation is my closest guestimate.

At the moment, I need to make a good tungsten grid and I lack the wire to do so. My PEM cell has had some difficulty arriving to my destination because the sender put an incorrect address. I also have the need for a detection set up but that is a whole other beast.

I'm happy to finally get to this stage and ready to start fusing. I hope you enjoyed the read!

Regards,
AA
Richard Hull

Re: Ameen Aydan - Plasma and operation

Post by Richard Hull »

Keep working at it and you will get there. That supply is one that will go places for you if you arrive at the point it is really needed. Like many others with glows in gas, you will need a bit more instrumentation to be admitted to the plasma club. Great work thus far and all the best in your future quest.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

You have a lot of very high quaility equipment so I am sure you will, in time, get the system working far better. Your computer inferface is nice - hope the RF from the fusor does not cause issues in the future.

I am rather surprised that you only reached 100 mTorr before applying voltage - that you indicate that you achieved 10^-5 torr preivously is not consistent with your current level of vacuum; that is a very poor vacuum for that setup. A good high quality system using those components should easily achieve under 10 microns (out gassing shouldn't be an issue with that pump) unless you are experiencing leakage issues. I'm assuming those numbers are without the turbo. By the way, with good seals, that system with the trubo should easily bottom out 10^-6 torr. Vacuum grease is not the way to solve issues with seals for any vacuum system much less a future fusor. Out gassing from just water/air in the grease is an issue and running a plasma with gease vapor isn't good for the fusor body. I'd suggest you clean out all the grease and do as you indicated with the seals before striking any more plasma's.

While you aren't getting ready yet to run as a fusor, do consider adding a fan system to help cool the HV electrode assembly - that x-former can provide a lot of power at high voltages.

A bit concerned about your safety; that transformer has a lot of current potential and I hope the wiring is sufficent to handle the normal full voltage you intend during these tests - sure, 1000 volts isn't all that high (yet is very lethal with that x-former) but for ordinary wire that is certainly high. Can't tell if that is good high voltage wire (safe to 25 kV or 30 kV or ?) or not. If it is 30 kV wire, remeber RMS can cause that to fail for a 30 kV x-former (I don't know the limit of that x-former or your intended final voltages.) Also, in the future when you achieve full voltage levels be aware that you are starting to get into x-ray production at 30 kV and current matters for intensity. That window is an especial hazard that you need to be careful about.

Finally, while the x-former has a ground connection that you include in your star, I'd strongely suggest another ground wire to the x-former case as a redundent backup.
Ameen Aydan

Post by Ameen Aydan »

Hi Dennis,

I chose to light the plasma at 100 mTorr but the chamber does bottom out at 15mtorr. The problem is that it takes 30 minutes to get to that low pressure, and then a day to bottom out my Gauge with the turbo pump, sometimes longer. When the gauge was working, it indicated that I reached about 60 mtorr and once I lit the plasma it started rising. I wasn't using my turbo and as I mentioned. My vacuum conductance isn't optimized I believe that to be the main reason for the difficulty reaching 10 mTorr in a short period of time, or at all. I'm using a 1 meter below hose to connect the backing pump to the turbo, then to the chamber.

I do have some leaks from some damaged flanges because when I close the chamber valve, the pressure rises in a linear fashion to about 1 Torr. I believe I said that the grease was temporary until my viton gaskets arrive. I ordered enough to seal any damaged part of my vacuum chamber. I will be adding a screen to protect the viewport so I'll clean the grease off then.

My roughing connections do seem to be leaky as well. I suspect it's the below valve I'm using for my forline connection. When I put a gauge directly to the below valve and closed it, the pressure would spike from 10 micron to a few hundred. If that's the case it's no problem and I'll get rid of it as soon as my new one arrives.
Bellow valve that was lent to me.
Bellow valve that was lent to me.
My HV transformer uses 50kv rated wire. I'm not crazy enough to use any normal wire! Additionally, the case of the transformer is grounded. I crimped connections on a 6 meter cable running from my variac to the transformer. On the actual day for fusion, I will be sitting in my laundry (next to my garage where the chamber is) using a camera to see my plasma, after adjusting my vacuum and gas accordingly. I'll also add a fan for the feedthrough since I already have two set up for my turbo and backing pump.
The wire from the transformer to the variac
The wire from the transformer to the variac
In the next week I'll be getting those issues fixed and getting ready to fuse. My personal deadline is the end of September.

Thanks for the advice,
AA
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Glad those items will be replaced; bellow pipes and valves can be an issue when they leak - really sorry about the valve because I know how expensive they are. Maybe just a bad o-ring seat? That would be both lucky and easy to fix. Also, 50 kV wire means (with RMS issues) best to stay under 45 kV but that is the limit of that probe, anyway.

My rather large fusor could reach 10^-5 torr in under tens minutes even after being open to the air.

You could add an oil vapor trap instead of a valve on the two stage pump (but if one is arrieving, guess that is irrelavent, now.)

Inexpensive and safe shielding is easy to construct - any local Home Depot carries slate plates that can be glued together to create over lapping shield walls. While one can't make it any lighter than the equivalent lead, these are easy to cut (abrasive blade) and/or drill (mason bit) for size/access and are non-conductive so can be against HV wires; also, easy to dispose of unlike Pb.

Regardless, looks like you are well on your way; what are you using for neutron detection?

Return to “Images du Jour”