Caden Burkhardt-Fusor Progress

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
caden_Burkhardt

Caden Burkhardt-Fusor Progress

Post by caden_Burkhardt »

I started my research on this site on November 21, 2019 after watching Jamie Edwards's TEDx talk three days prior. I had no idea how far down this rabbit hole would take me and still have no idea how much farther it goes. Over the next couple of months, I scoured the FAQ's and began the look for parts. my father informed me that he had an old Robinar 15600 at work that I could borrow and I began to snatch up, fix and sell "broken" lawnmowers for funds toward other parts. 6/16/20 my dad brought the pump from work-(COVID-19 had stopped him from doing so previously). The following day I bought my first group of parts from LDS, a 2.75 4-way cross, 2 blanks, a viewport, and a 2.75 to Swagelok 1/4 flange.
IMG_0072.jpg
6/19/20- after a couple of days trying to find the right fittings for the pump we decided to power it up and see what would happen, as well as to familiarize myself with how to operate it. the handle was broken but the wiring seemed intact so we plugged it in and turned it on. we were met with a faint whirring sound, and it was clear that the motor wasn't firing up. we went through the wiring to make sure that it was all good but to no avail. we disassembled the pump motor and it became clear that something was wrong with the capacitor. "no plan survives first contact with implementation"
IMG_0069.jpg
IMG_0067.jpg
6/20/20- got new that parts would be delivered the following Wednesday(6/24) and through Facebook marketplace, found a Yellowjacket super evac 93560 pump in good condition for $120.

6/22/20- picked the pump up
IMG_0071.jpg
I plan on doing a bunch of vacuum experiments with my new pump once my parts have arrived and I have assembled the main chamber. I'll make sure to send pictures of that once the parts have arived

If this qualifies me for the Scroungers Club I would appreciate being added. :)
Dennis P Brown

Re: Caden Burkhardt-Fusor Progress

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Good work. One essential item that goes with any vacuum pump is a micron reading gauge (0 to 1000 or similar range.) Many approches and methods as well as prices. But without this type of gauge, any pump is a complete unknown. Just don't get anything that measures by analog in inches of Hg. Torr measurement can be useful but a fusor pump must get below 50 microns if you desire a diffusion pump (when obtained later.)
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

My first really great pump was a 5CFM yellow jacket. Since then I have gone to the quiet belt drive slow winding types.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
caden_Burkhardt

6/23/20- tested the pump, it works,
6/24/20- parts came in
IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_3005.jpg
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Excellent start; by the way, on E-bay one can get many rather inexpensive parts - both new and especially used. I prefer KF couplings since they are reusable, a lot are available surplus (cheap) and these are good down to 10^-6 torr. Copper is superior in high vac and rarely causes the problems that KF can relative to micro-leaks due to surface scratches. Most of us can sand and buff those out but it is added work when it occurs. But the big down side to copper is the coupling's copper gasket needs replacement after just a few uses - these are not cheap.

You can now aim for the plasma club; any cheap neon sign grade transformer or converted low current high voltage (HV) surplus units on e-bay can be obtained cheaply. A true x-ray transformer is both hard to find, expensive and must be the correct polarity; also, extremly lethal. Ditto on lethal for old microwave transformers - these items are best used after a lot of experience with safer, low current transformers are used to gain knowledge with HV circuits and experience building various types of power supplies.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks for keeping us updated on your efforts. I especially like the photo of you proudly showing your purchases. So few folks post images of themselves with their work. It is nice to link a face with a project. All the best with you effort.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
caden_Burkhardt

6/24/20- continued.

I went downstairs to begin assembling. my dad showed me how to use a torque wrench, and I put the two blanks on the two nonrotatable ends of the cross (torqued to 5ft/lbs)

When I went to attach the viewport, I noticed that the rotatable flange was jammed :(
IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0083.jpg
6/25/20- tapped the rotatable flange with a rubber mallet and finished assembling the cross. connected to my vacuum pump with Swagelok fittings and did a rudimentary test of my vacuum pump using the built-in gauge to see if it works. it did
IMG_0086.jpg
IMG_0096.PNG
caden_Burkhardt

7/17/20- purchased a NST for $10, its 8kv, 30mA
IMG_0131.jpg
7/21/20- bought 4 microwave oven diodes, ordered my variac, and ordered my feedthrough.
IMG_0147.jpg
I don't have the tools necessary to machine my own feedthrough and due to COVID won't have access for a long time so I just decided to order one and be done with it.

Hopefully I'll have plasma by the end of next month but rarely does a plan survive first contact with implementation so we'll see how this goes.
Attachments
IMG_0146.JPG
caden_Burkhardt

7/29/20-Variac and HV feedthrough came. My dad showed me how to wire a ground wire into a junction box, created my grid, and I mounted my NST to a board.
IMG_0157.jpg
IMG_0170.jpg
IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0190.jpg
7/30/20- bought various electrical equipment(a soldering iron, heat shrinks, terminal connectors, etc) and assembled my full-wave rectifier, which I attached to my board. Also, my dad used a lamp as a heat source for the heat shrinks
IMG_3237.jpg
IMG_0169.jpg
IMG_0168.jpg
IMG_0167.jpg
I just need to finish my feedthrough and attach everything and I should have plasma!
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Caden
Please redo your diode mounts in plastic
Wood at your voltages starts to conduct and poses a serious electric shock risk
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

John is correct. Also, sharp edges on bolts start to allow serious corona discharge problems - for now, however, that isn't a big concern. More of a FYIO.

Good start on your vacuum system. Though a real vacuum gauge will give you a better idea on the pump and system's overall performace.

Certainly, getting your first plasma discharge is a good goal.
caden_Burkhardt

ok, thanks for pointing that out
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Looking good there.

I bet your "NST" is a high frequency power supply, which is warned against in FAQs here.
* When it's off, what's the DC resistance between the two high voltage output wires? Can you measure a DC resistance between those wires and a metal part of the case (if any) or the ground pin of power plug (if any)?
* Another way to get a clue: what's the weight?
* A third way: connect it back up to light the neon sign. (Any subset of intact glass elements. Or you can safely drive any ordinary fluorescent lamp or CFL tube directly.) In an otherwise dark room, it should be easy to see stroboscopic effects if the brightness is fluctuating at 120 Hz. Just wiggle your finger in front of your eyes, or look at a spinning fan or motor shaft.
* Fourth way: look up the model number on the Internet. I just did & found the answer within a minute.

If you have a high frequency power supply, I bet you can still light up a demo fusor, it'll just take a bit more work. Microwave oven diodes might be too slow to serve as good rectifiers.
Another surmountable hurdle is the Secondary Ground Fault Protection which appears on the label in one of your pictures.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Rich
I didn't see that it was a high freq unit
you can get high frequency HV diodes out of dead panasonic inverter microwaves they usually blow the igbt
caden_Burkhardt

It would seem I leaped before I looked . . .
However the NST was only a $10 investment, better to fix my problems now that be bewildered later
caden_Burkhardt

8/3- bought a NST(12kv, 60mA and began wiring it up
NST.PNG
8/4- did a lot of work with my electrical system, including remounting everything in a plastic container, as per john's advice

8/11- After taking a break for a week, I finished wiring my electrical system. I put wire nuts on the exposed bolts as per Dennis's advice, and my HV system was ready. I hooked everything up and fired up the sytem. While putting a grape wont get me into the plasma club I hope this will. My first run I cranked the variac to the max and ended up blowing a fuse. My second run I didn't turn the input voltage over 80 volts. One thing to note is that I didn't really run my vacuum system for that long before applying voltage. I waited one minute on the first run, and ten on my second.
finished box.jpg
Box closed.jpg
My setup
My setup
Plasma
Plasma
Plasma
Plasma
This is by no means the end of my journy I hope to order some metering equipment and a TC guage soon so I can get measurements on my system
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Good work on first plasma, Caden. You can be in the plasma club once you have instrumentation. (update 8/20/20)

Richard Hull
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Agreed - good start and congratulations on the 'Plasma Club'. Your aim to get the vacuum system better qualified via a proper vacuum gauge is a good and necessary goal.

Of course, a better support system for the fusor chamber should also be a top issue.

In the future, even if you get a proper fusor supply, NST's are very useful - they are a great way to test high voltage (HV) diodes and meters and being fairly safe are ideal for these purposes. Speaking of HV systems, in the furtue, don't cross HV lines like you have in the pic. Keeping HV lines well apart - even under oil - is both a good and safe pratice.

As you are likely aware, you also need to address a proper pump port/line for the fusor; that tiny line is fine for the plasma club but will really interfere with pumping your chamber. However, that is perfect for use as a deuterium feed line (which, I guess, is its real future purpose.)

Not sure of your HV lines - I see only co-ax cables in the pic but if that is what you are using for HV, you need to replace those ASAP and get proper HV lines: for a quick fix, the local auto stores have HV lines good to 20 kV and would work well for a NST. Of course, you could order proper higher current and voltage (30/40 kV) line from companies/ebay.
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

Actually RG-8 Coax cable is good to 60 KV DC. One does have to prepare the ends carefully.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
caden_Burkhardt

Thank you Dennis for your input and advice. I'm not actually using co-ax cables in my system, I'm using some 8 gauge copper wire that I acquired from my dad's work. They were throwing it out after a project so it's what was available.
IMG_0285.jpg
The same is true with my vacuum line, just leftovers from my dad's work.

I plan on replacing all my HV lines with properly rated Hv lines soon and I'll uncross those lines ASAP
caden_Burkhardt

8/31/20- bought TC gauge and readout
Robert Virkus

Post by Robert Virkus »

Hello Caden,

You have probably thought through all the safety issues but if you have not, please make sure you don't accidentally generate some dangerous X-rays!

Thanks,

Robert
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

As for x-rays, as Richard points out - distance is one's friend when the fusor is running.
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Robert
While we are at it
could you please edit your profile so that you are Robert Virkus as the rules state not just Robert
Thank you
Robert Virkus

Post by Robert Virkus »

I was doing an X-ray experiment while a student in physics and I was deeply engrossed in thought and I just walked right around the shielding like an idiot right up to the device without thinking when it was full on so I know it's possible to defeat safety protocols.

Return to “Images du Jour”