Research facility construction

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Dennis P Brown

Re: Research facility construction

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I will be using drywall - easier and less expensive than wood panels.

I insulated the walls and will start drywall tomorrow. The heat is getting rather bad so I installed the environmetal system. It is a window unit that cools and heats; these are still much cheaper than the external systems. Besides, those types of heat pump systems require charging and that isn't something I want to take on right now.(Aside: below 40 F most heat pumps use electrical heating so not a big difference on these two units in performance except cost.)

This is no 240 sq. ft mini-house like Richard's (not even quite half that.) But will do for both my fusors and laminate research. I'll add some shelves to go along with the attic storage but this will be very limited on space. I wasn't up to building a foundation any bigger than the existing partial one.

All in all, I'm still under the kit cost even with the insulation, ceramic tiles, dry wall, electrical system and environmental system added to the materials cost; and I have enough materials leftover to build the washing machine room addition on my house. So, cost wise, not bad. But never again.
Attachments
Front with enviromental unit and doorway step
Front with enviromental unit and doorway step
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

I've used those "Amish sheds" for radio site buildings. If you specify a residential type double door, they will be rodent proof, providing you send the $$ on proper entry bushings for antenna cables.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

After starting mine, I happen to pass a place that offered "Amish" sheds. Likely mine would still be cheaper (in both senses of the word ...) but too late to really consider.

Well, after the drywall install and spackling, I really realized that I'm happy with this smaller building - sheet rock installation is a bear. Still have to wait for it to dry before sanding. Then painting and finally, floor tile install. Hopefully, later this week, I can finally start moving equipment into it.
Attachments
Breaker box and 220 v outlet as well as normal 120 v outlets. I plan a semi-large glass melting furnace in that righthand side area for the 220
Breaker box and 220 v outlet as well as normal 120 v outlets. I plan a semi-large glass melting furnace in that righthand side area for the 220
Can see the attic access door in the upper right side ceiling; water pipe & drain pipe lower lefthand side on the wall (not hooked up yet.)
Can see the attic access door in the upper right side ceiling; water pipe & drain pipe lower lefthand side on the wall (not hooked up yet.)
Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp »

In reference to Richard’s post regarding a separate building for woodworking, I wanted to mention that it is possible to have a woodworking shop and a machine shop coexist with a good dust collection system. My shop is a two car garage space with machine shop on one side and woodworking on the other. I have a cyclone type dust collector in the corner with four inch ducts overhead and four inch corrugated hose drops. Slide valves make it easy to zone the dust collection to where you are working. The dust collection system was not cheap, but cheaper than a separate building. I originally looked at putting the dust collector outside, but opted to keep it inside to recirculate rather than dump conditioned air outside. This works well if you have a system with a HEPA filter stage on the output of your cyclone. I bought my system from Penn State Industries, but they don’t seem to sell them anymore.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Interesting because I debated on whether to install my blower motor for the glass furnace but in the end, decided I didn't need it; the glass is non-toxic (as are all my materials.)

Well, progress: the room is painted and now nearly fully tiled (except for a narrow last row but I ran out of floor adhesive.)

So I'm nearly there - still need to get more adhesive, and then grout/seal the tiles. Then it is done.

Yes, all white but I do need good illumination. When lab equipment and desks/benchs are in, the room won't be so white. I decided on ceramic tile since I will be using molten glass and a wood floor could lead to problems in the event of a small spill. Also, easier to keep the place clean; which is useful for the high vacuum work for the deuterium accelerator. Can't hurt for the fusor ;)
Attachments
20200707_122220.jpg
20200707_122157.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

All far better interior job than I did on my building.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Thank you very much, Richard. Wish it was larger but then I remember how much work the foudation, dry wall install and cutting tiles was and realize that I certainly extended myself, effort wise, even with this size room.

Still it will do, through maybe a bit tight for my projected four research projects - fusor (reactivate), deuterium accelerator (finally turn it on with its 100 kV+ PS), pulse neutron source (construct), and, of course, my laminated glass work (continue and advance.)

Storage (as well as floor space) will be very limited compared to your (and others) impressive facilities: a singular shelf system next to the doorway; and the attic available storage will be confined to what I can lift and place from a step ladder in the ceiling access door. Bench space will be at an absolute premium (sigh), for sure. At least this place will also function, maybe, as a sanctuary - my wifi signal does reach ;)
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Well, finished the floor in my new research facility - grout & sealant are dry; still have to build the shelves next to the entry way but that will likely be this weekend. Will move the fusor and particle accelerator into the lab room later today. Its been a laborious build but hopefully, worthwhile. Compared to the first picture of of the ground with a partial foundation, it went quick, if not easy. Glad it is done and I can get to other projects; actual research experiments aren't likely till Fall. I have to build some new pieces of equipment (a new hot rolling mill & theta pinch), get others working again (fusor & accelerator) and various power supplies, detector systems and a glass melting furnance all working. All in all, still a long way to go.
Attachments
Tiles are there just washed out
Tiles are there just washed out
Yes, there are tiles but the camera can't get the light correct
Yes, there are tiles but the camera can't get the light correct
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Moved in most (but not all) my research equipment. The attic holds far more stuff than I thought it could. The room, while large enough to hold my key equipment, of course, isn't as large as I'd like. On the otherhand building bigger just wasn't an option. I still need to build some shelves - the walls are all thats left available.

Still, a clean place to work, the cooling systems works very well (insulation is good), plenty of outlets (including a 220 outlet), good lighting, and enough room - though certainly not roomy. On another updside, pleasent to reclaim my Den and garage space back. Better than that, can finally get serious on getting various projects back on track.
Attachments
My original fusor - needs only minor work to get operational
My original fusor - needs only minor work to get operational
Glass melting (right side) and annealing furnaces (left side); the base vacuum system (foreground) for the high vacuum/particle accelerator
Glass melting (right side) and annealing furnaces (left side); the base vacuum system (foreground) for the high vacuum/particle accelerator
The lab bench I built today with the rolling mill I intend to modifry to do hot rolling - I'll add a furnace system (I have two existing systems for that purpose); extreme left on the bench, the 50 kV cap I will (some day) use to build a theta pinch plasma system. Far right: small desk and chair for a future computer work area
The lab bench I built today with the rolling mill I intend to modifry to do hot rolling - I'll add a furnace system (I have two existing systems for that purpose); extreme left on the bench, the 50 kV cap I will (some day) use to build a theta pinch plasma system. Far right: small desk and chair for a future computer work area
Last edited by Dennis P Brown on Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I am done on posting relative to this project - the reserach building is complete and I've moved into it; come Fall I hope to have updates on what I've manage to get working and/or complete. Unlike Richard, I'm not yet retired so I still have many other responsiblities and projects that will require my attention besides these efforts. But hopefully, in the next two years ... .
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Well done Dennis
You are now miles ahead of me
I have stopped on mine while I put in 4 core 2/0 cable 125 yards long to the new house site along with two 1" conduits with draw strings
It has taken 4 full days so far to get the trench halfway with the digger --very rocky soil
20200711_141112.jpg
20200711_141240.jpg
20200711_141142.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Serious stuff, to be sure. Good luck on the effort. Just remember, nothing's easy.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

First, thanks!

Second, 'Wow'.

As for mine it is more on the order of an over built but undersized shed; as such, was relatively easy to finish quickly but your facility is worthy of that name. Impressive.

You'll get there; considering both the cost and size differential I understand that yours will take a bit (understatement) more capital and a lot more effort.

I look forward to images of your continued progress and final 'finished' pics!
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Well, I've finally found a little time for getting back (kinda) to fusion; I'm piecing together a fusor. I've also added water to my small reserach building (photo) in case I decide on using my diffusion pump instead of the turbo. Speaking of which, I used the turbo for now and assembled (partly) a new fusor - mostly. Still have a lot of work on that to do - a new cathode and high voltage feed-thru; and have two other projects (neither fusion related) waiting to do. Now that I finished the addition to my house (the washer machine room) and finally can start back at work (a few days/week only for now) my available time has gotten better for weekends but very restricted for weekdays; not that I'm complaining - glad to get back to my real job.

Since this is an Image du Jour, I've added some pics.
Attachments
New fusor project on work bench
New fusor project on work bench
Water connection and drain line
Water connection and drain line
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Great work Dennis! Your lab is now a working lab. You may have to purge that water line in winter to avoid freezing and splitting.

Richard Hull
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Had some spare time to construct the initial high voltage feed-thru (good bit of lathe work and some boring); decided to try a cylinder end cathode since it is far simplier to construct and install compared to the classic spherical wire grid. The HV feed isn't finished - I still need to melt some aluminum sealing glass and use it to secure the metal conductor to the ceramic feed-thru. That will not occur until I have both furnces operational in a few weeks so till then, this project will remain at this stage - untested vacuum.

So the fusor body with a window, deuterium port, HV feed and vacuum port w/gate valve & turbo are assembled. So, taking shape.

I have the mechanical pump w/anti-back stream, and stainless steel bellows foreline. I also have my original variac, and purchased a new 70 kV xformer (still waiting to be placed under oil using my still to be completed vacuum/oil fill chamber system.) My original diode system will need further upgrading to handle that higher voltage (hope I have enough spare diodes.) My deuterium tank, regulator and needle valve system is still operational and could easily be installed when required.

I have a very large area lead shield and if I go with the above 30 kV, will certainly need it.

So, a number of still to do projects besides construction of a new neutron detector system (still to be hooked up, but util I have neutrons, not testable except for background issues.)

Looking at this list of still to be done, wonder how I built the first one - a lot more stuff required to build/assemble/test than I remember but that explains the four years it took me to get an operational fusor and measure neutrons the first time. This time, five or six months should be sufficent ... I hope. I forgot alot of these issues and sure have more appreciation about the newbie's that build much of this stuff. The new research facility took less time to build ...now that is really strange ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Attachments
Fusor chamber (cross) with HV and deuterium feeds; gate valve (mid section) and window  (on top)
Fusor chamber (cross) with HV and deuterium feeds; gate valve (mid section) and window (on top)
Looking thru the window at the cylinderial cathode; a wire mesh protects the turbo
Looking thru the window at the cylinderial cathode; a wire mesh protects the turbo

Return to “Images du Jour”