Liquid cooled Demo Fusor cage

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Dominick Quaye

Liquid cooled Demo Fusor cage

Post by Dominick Quaye »

I recently ran out of money to spend on turning my Demo Fusor into a real one, so I've just been messing around with what I have. (hopefully I can get a job soon so I can restart) Here is my Liquid Cooling setup

Video of It running: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yta61 ... HwFhgoxrvR

The cage is made of very low diameter (0.098in) OD tubing from Ace Hardware. I bent it into a 2 loop cage using a simple grid winding jig. The feedthrough was made by pouring marine epoxy into a 1/2" hole in the flange. The epoxy is plenty dielectric enough for the 2.1kv I am putting in and obviously doesn't need to be heat resistant. The inlet of the cage extends 3" past the feedthrough to connect to the "pump" with a small rubber coupler. The outlet is about 1" long and just bends down to let the coolant out into the collecting tray. My "pump" is just a 3-gallon jug with some more tubing inserted and sealed on. This obviously isn't that safe or ideal so when the pandemic ends I will try and find a real pump to have a circulating system. The coolant I use is water which isn't ideal either but it still works extremely well. The water pressure from the 3-Gallon jug provides a flow rate through the cage of about 0.25 ml/second. This flow rate is enough to sufficiently cool the cage while barley depleting the water supply. With this cooling setup, I can now run my Demo Fusor for 2+ hours straight. In my first run, I found that the water heated up ~3C after going through the cage. (went from 18C to 21C)

Any thoughts on this setup or recommendations for pumps/dielectric fluids?
Attachments
Image-1 (4).jpg
IMG_0934.PNG
IMG_20200330_182151.jpg
Scott Moroch

Re: Liquid cooled Demo Fusor cage

Post by Scott Moroch »

Nice! Stick with it. My friend and I spent ~1.5-2 years messing around with a demo fusor before we really got things moving on a real, neutron producing fusor.

These two pictures I attached were taken approximately 7 years apart.
Attachments
Fusor 1.jpg
Star.jpeg
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"
-Albert Einstein
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Scott, Incredibly beautiful image !! One of the best I have seen clean clear and nice.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Hi Dominick
Excellent work! Keep puttering with the demo fusor until funding comes in for the bigger things. Like Scott, I too started here many years ago but didnt get a neutron producing fusor in play until last year. During my demo fusor days I enjoyed experimenting with different grid designs and learned vacuum and machining skills.

Your water cooled grid reminds me of Andrew Seltzman's fluorinert cooled grid.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2687&p=12197&hilit= ... rid#p12197

Keep at it!

Mark Rowley
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Funding is always an issue with the younger folks. Keep at it to the level you can with the demo and good luck.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Images du Jour”