FUJ-219 Magnetically Assisted Ionization fusor

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Maciek Szymanski

Re: FUJ-219 Magnetically Assisted Ionization fusor

Post by Maciek Szymanski »

Than you very much for your kind appreciation. Personally I’ve much more reserve to this design and expect quite rough road ahead. Anyway I’ve finished welding and assembled the thing with all the ports blanked so the leak hunt can start:

35D61628-CBA8-4742-ADFF-8205CFB07C27.jpeg

By the pure luck an old x-ray scattering fixture was disassembled at my workplace and it’s chassis turned to be a part of a series production vacuum pump unit SP300E form Unitra Unima:

4BB6E928-615D-48FC-9C9C-CD13A7C077C8.jpeg

The chassis was few times modified and incomplete but originally it housed a vacuum system identical to the one I’m using, so I was able to put my system into the chassis giving a very neat and clean setup:
E765F1A5-C4CF-40AA-9A32-43DD9FFAF67C.jpeg
The vacuum system consist of:
  • BL8 rotary vane pump,
  • oil vapor trap,
  • two foreline solenoid valves for diff pump and bypass pumping,
  • vacuum canister (so the backing pump may be turned off for at las 30min with diff pump running),
  • PDO300 water cooled diffusion pump,
  • water cooled baffle (with provision for LN cooling),
  • electromagnetic 100mm gate valve,
  • electromagnetic vent valve,
  • two TC senders (for forevacumm and main chamber),
  • ionization sender,
  • BS100 control unit,
  • PW12 high vacuum meter.
The control unit allows manual control of pumps and valves, has meter to read two TC vacuum gauges (and cold cathode high vacuum one - known to be unreliable, so I’m using the external hot cathode unit) and has a bunch of TTL circuits to provide interlocks (i.e. turns off the diff pump when there is no flow of cooling water) and allows fully automatic operation with set points adjusted with potentiometers inside the unit.

So let the leak hunt begin!
42DC2602-1BAC-40EB-9C70-0EE166135EB9.jpeg
“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Richard Hull

Re: FUJ-219 Magnetically Assisted Ionization fusor

Post by Richard Hull »

Luck and slow builds often allow for great opportunities to unfold as one builds a fusor system. This is a nice looking cabinet for your fusor!
Good luck with the leak tests. These are always a bear to get through.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Images du Jour”