Plasma club submission

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Dominick Quaye

Plasma club submission

Post by Dominick Quaye »

Over the past few months, I (Dominick Yatte Quaye) and 2 friends (Javier Blanco & Calvin Holms) built a Demo fusor. Pictures of the plasma and the general setup are attached.
High Voltage: Our HV system consists of a variable water resistor (for current control), A variac, and then an MOT feeding into a full bridge rectifier made from microwave oven diodes.
Vacuum setup: A Welch 8920A that I fully disassembled and refurbished after getting it off eBay for 200$ in terrible condition. It is connected directly to the chamber with a plastic hose. The vacuum gauge is a VG64 digital gauge with a 0.5 micron resolution. Even with the huge leak our chamber has right now, the pump consistently gets the pressure down to 50 microns. (It's 7cfm so it kinda out-pumps the leak)
Chamber: Made of 5 inch ID stainless steel tubing with 3 outlets of 3/4in OD stainless tubing welded on. (third is sealed off right now but will hopefully allow for us to inject D2 later on)
The plasma in the pictures was created at 2.1kV and a pressure (ranging from picture to picture) of 55-300 microns.
We intend to turn this into a real fusor soon to create various Isotopes and play around with the plasma using a magnetron. We are currently refurbishing a diffusion pump, fixing our chamber leak, and building a D2 setup to combine small amounts of heavy water and sodium to create D2 and Sodium Deuteroxide. We have yet to start on the HV system and necessary chamber changes.

-Dominick Quaye
Plasma
Plasma
Plasma at angle
Plasma at angle
@100 micons
@100 micons
Our setup
Our setup
Dominick Quaye

Re: Plasma club submission

Post by Dominick Quaye »

Important typo correction, My friend's name is Calvin Holmes, not Calvin Holms.
Richard Hull

Re: Plasma club submission

Post by Richard Hull »

Great work! I will add your names as a team effort to the plasma club listing. All the best as your work advances.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Images du Jour”