Somebody Finally Found A Use for A Tokamak

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Somebody Finally Found A Use for A Tokamak

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

And now for something completely different:

I subscribe to a Google Alert for the keywords "Nuclear Fusion."

Over the years, I have pretty much taken to ignoring the alerts because they "news" is always pretty much the same: fresh millions being poured into some new project that will produce useful fusion energy in 10, 15, 25 or 50 years. Cue the signature line in Richard Hull's posts...

Along with the migration of Fusor.net from Media Temple to GoDaddy (see Frank's recent post on what an ordeal THAT simple task turned into, and please hold Frank and Andrew in your thoughts and prayers as we try to iron out the images/links issue), I have also relocated my primary internet domain – 49chevy.com – to the new host. That has resulted in some changes in the way some of my incoming email show up. Most notably, some of the Google Alerts now show up in my inbox rather than being filtered off to a discrete mailbox where they have been much easier to ignore.

This morning the Google Alert for "Nuclear Fusion" produced a story from sfgate.com from the recent Burning Man Arts Festival in the Nevada desert. The story is a photo essay about the several dozen "Mutant Vehicles" that are permitted on the grounds of the festival provided they meet certain design standards for originality.

It turns out that one of the Mutant Vehicles was built from parts from a "Department of Energy nuclear fusion experiment" and was dubbed "Mr. Fusion." I've attached the photo of that particular vehicle here.

It's worth looking at all the photos in the series (there are about 30 in total).

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/burningma ... 443652.php

I love the vision conveyed in these whimsical vehicles. To my mind, they are a vision from our arts-infused, fusion-powered future.

--PS
Attachments
MrFusionBurner.jpg
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."

Return to “Images du Jour”