Missing photos

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
David Rosignoli

Missing photos

Post by David Rosignoli »

I noticed when searching for old photos, some of them exist and some of them do not.
Many of Richard Hull's photos no longer are present.
See the following for an example. Scroll down to Richard's images and they are not there. But the others are there.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7755&p=56102&hilit=heas#p56102

Is this by intent (to keep the data storage down) or is it a quirk of the system?
Thanks,
Dave
Richard Hull

Re: Missing photos

Post by Richard Hull »

Lots of photos and files in all forums are missing. Some are not. Read the admin forum's post on the move to understand more. They are trying to noodle out the issue. Give them time.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12916

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

All Fotos are on my raid drive and also on the new site. They exist but some have been severed from their original locations within posts. There appears to be no good reason why this happened and so seemingly randomly.

While there were some unique challenges to the move, it should have been a relatively easy transition. It was FAR from that. In fact, it was really ludicrous on how complicated it was. I will expound upon only a small example of such.

MT, in mid stream, corrupted or lost around half of our site. It was not anything that we did for the move. It happened independent and just prior to our move. We had been working on getting the new hosting site all ready for the transition when it occurred. We then had to use my local backup that was around 15 days old. This should have not mattered except that the posts during that time period may have gone missing yet there were some other problems.

Looking back at it, there may have been some corrupting going on before my last "good" backup from MT or there might have been some corruption during the upgrade of the actual phpBB platform or it might be something else entirely.

It was a brutally and unnecessarily complex process. I have said before and I will say again, technology is NOT making our lives better. What should have been a sub one hour job turned into many long days and night over the course of a month. All of this to have a site that is missing the majority of the photos. Software people, you suck! Seriously. It should not be this complicated for a one to one move. I miss the days where an entire site could be moved via FTP and and all HTML code and files transferred perfectly with nothing more than a cut and paste (into same domain name). There is no reason why this should not be the way sites are constructed. Screw the specialty scripts and complex internal software code spread all over and in prolific multiple places within a structure. It is asinine, sloppy, verbose code and if you miss one character or punctuation ANYWHERE in megabytes of code, the site does not work at all. It is not just the platform of this site. It is in many softwares that we encounter every day.

So today, we have all of the photos that have ever been on the site. They, for some reason that Andrew and I have not figured out, are not being associated with the original posts. The pictures are there but are not loading in the thread or are not being thumbnails, or are there once they are clicked on. We are open to any expertise that might help us reconnect and properly format the photos with the posts.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
David Rosignoli

Post by David Rosignoli »

Thank you Frank and Andrew for spending the many hours on this effort! It is greatly appreciated.
Dave
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

What Operating system was on the old and new locations? Hopefully it was the same version of Linux on both. A couple of things I can think of:

Case Sensitivity. Things on Linux are case sensitive. Perhaps while copying something, somehow the original case was not preserved.

Lost file extensions or corruption of same when moving the photos over.

Corruption of the MySQL database.

Try running this MySQL query and see what you get:

Code: Select all

SELECT post_msg_id FROM phpbb_attachements WHERE 'real_filename' LIKE '{put the filename of one of the photos you have}'
Looking at the output of this query, you should see an integer value for 'post_msg_id'. There should be a entry in the phpbb_post table with a matching 'post_id' that is the message that the photo is supposed to be associated with.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

I did some more playing around (What I can in "ordinary user" space) and found that one can view the full original photos now! It only seems that the thumbnail links are broken, but one can use this hack to see the images.

To view: Right Click on the link with the "broken picture" icon and choose "open link in new tab". The full sized photo will show in the new tab.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I went to the high voltage forum...FAQs..... and clicked on everyone of my original FAQs. I right clicked on the picture link and opened link in new tab. Clicking on the new tab, it still says"information not available".
I connect to fusor.net via google.

Doesn't work using microsoft edge to sign into fusor.net either.

Update: Is it just my photos?? Go to images du jour and go to page 4. Find the HEAS 2017 event pictures. Click on my images....They will not load, They will not respond to open in new tab. Just below my images are Jim Kovalchicks images. They all open fine by just clicking on the link!???

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Bob,
Your thoughts about the database query seemed good. I think that's the level where there hopefully is a fix.

Frank says the images are all still there somewhere but I don't know how he knows that. There are multi levels to this problem. Bob's right-click doesn't work for the "does not exist" level.

My summary:
1) New posts seem to include pics inline most of the time. I think at least one of my post-site-move images has turned into a link. My recollection is it originally showed inline but not now. Pretty sure but not positive.

1a) I recently noticed that a small image I posted shows inline but it displays bigger than I created it. In the old days it would show as the original x by y size I sent.

2) Lots of images that used to display inline in the message now show as a link filename. You can click on them and they open as the image. As Bob has discovered, a better way is to right-click and open in a new tab or window.

3) The worst -- Some of those image links in some messages - if you click on them (or right-click etc) you get a window that says,
Information
The selected attachment does not exist anymore.
Here's a link for the big problem (3)
Joe Gayo thread
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12826&start=10#p83461

If you click on those image links (or right-click open in...) you get the
"The selected attachment does not exist anymore" message.

Bob, take that link and try to get to the image. Actually, pretty much all of Joe's images in that thread from earlier this year. A really great thread. I hope the images are findable some way.

Frank, you say you still have all the images. Is there any way you can find some access to one of the (#3) images as in the Joe Gayo link I provided? By name or date maybe? That would be encouraging that this major "does not exist" problem can be fixed.
Last edited by Rex Allers on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rex Allers
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Richard,

No, it's not just your photos.

I tried to explain as much as I could about the "does not exist" problem in the
"FUSOR.NET v4 is now LIVE!" thread.
I haven't been able to find a pattern, but it does seem to be, at least in a thread locality, related to who posted.

Here's a thread from a while back as example:
Vacuum pump rebuild
Post by Tyler Meagher » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:17 pm
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12189

If you go through that thread, all the images posted by Tyler Meagher seem to be "does not exist" but images in some of that thread's messages by myself and others do exist if you click on the links.

Who posted the image seems to play some part, but I don't know that all images from some users are excommunicated. Example, Richard has made posts with images since the site move and they are working, but many of his older posts with images have lost the link. Is it all of his pre-move images? That would take a while to figure out.
Rex Allers
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

It seems to be dependent on whether the item was originally an in-line photo (as mine were) or an "attachment", such as some of the .pdf files of manuals and such. the in-line photos work by right clicking and choosing "open in new tab", the attachments do not.

Admins: Any luck or results with the MySQL queries I suggested?

Another thought is that somehow the directory structure and/or permissions did not get preserved in the move, and phpBB is looking in the wrong place. I would lean more towards a directory location problem rather than a permissions issue, since the error message says "No longer exists" rather than something like "you aren't allowed to see this".
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

Well now! New attachments/photos created After the move are working! So the old photos are in the wrong directory! Should be easy to find where the new photos/files are being placed and then copy the old ones to the same place. Note that I say copy not move, just in case it doesn't work. Once you are sure they all work, then you can go ahead and delete the now duplicated files from the original location.
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

I think I have found a big clue to the broken links problem. (near the end here)

Bob,

Not sure if your directory theory matches all the symptoms; it might.

Historical note for reference: the site came up in its new home on Aug 29.
  • Posts made with images, after the move, seem to be working as expected, even showing inline.
  • But not always showing inline. In this is a post I made just after the move.
    Re: Precipitator HV Supply Hacking
    Post by Rex Allers » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:34 pm
    viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12919&p=83946#p83945
    The small image '16-pin-chip.png' in that message originally displayed inline. Now it just shows as a link. The link does work.
  • The big problem is that many posts from before the move contain image links that are broken.
Clicking on a broken link gets this result
Information
The selected attachment does not exist anymore.
Here's a thread I shared earlier.
It provides examples for the following points.

Vacuum pump rebuild
Post by Tyler Meagher » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:17 pm
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12189
  • Whether the image was placed inline or as a simple attachment does not matter on broken links. Tyler's messages in the Vacuum thread with images are all just attachments (not inline) and have broken links. Other cases of broken links I have seen were placed inline in the message.
  • It is not just images that have broken links. I have seen pdf files with broken links.
  • Big Clue: For broken links the user ID of the poster is key. I just realized today how consistant and important this is.

In the Vacuum pump thread above, Tyler posted several messages with attached images. All of those links are broken. Several other people posted messages in that same thread that had attachments. None of those links were broken.

Richard has said his images are broken. I started looking through Richard's pre-move posts. The first I looked at had a working image that even showed inline, but then I remembered he had replaced some missing images. I went back further in time and never found an image in his posts that wasn't broken.

Here's an example from 2004.
    180,000 volt Spellman system up and running.
    Post by Richard Hull » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:25 am
    viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4443&p=27281#p27281
Who else? I seemed to remember a broken link from Jon Rosenstiel. I looked back through his posts. All with attachments seem to have broken links. Here's one from 2012:

Archived - Circulation patterns on the chamber walls
Post by Jon Rosenstiel » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:43 pm
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7894&p=55853#p55853

So for some users, all attachments to messages, posted before the site move, seem to have broken links to those attachments.

Here are four users I have found so far who have this problem with their old posts. There are probably others.
Richard Hull
Jon Rosenstiel
Joe Gayo
Tyler Meagher

Conclusion
The broken link problems seem to affect all attachments in older posts made by only some users. But those users seem to have all their attachments (pre-move) with broken links.

It must have something to do with either...
  • An aspect of database indexing to uploaded files that relates to UserID.
    or
  • Accessing places (directories) where uploaded files were stored, if they are grouped by UserID
I found four so far. What other users have the broken link problem?
Rex Allers
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Interesting! My old password was changed about 4 or 5 year ago. I forget the issue, but nonetheless the perfesser loaded up the new password for me and thus, my sign in password ID is not what it was when the earliest posts were done, mainly many of the FAQs. Any one else in the above list had a password change? I can't seem to re-install images in the old FAQs and have them take. As you know I have full edit privileges. I have found textual issues in re-reading my old FAQs. Spelling issues, etc. I correct those and it takes on the resubmit. I think the images may be related to what Bob mentioned on attachments.
I have always only used attachments, since day one.

Richard Hull
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

I do remember changing my password a few years back, but I don't recall why.

I just ran across something that may (or may not) be related to all of this.
A recent forum search for "hornyak button" turned up the following thread.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5131&p=35070&hilit ... ton#p35070
Top post in the thread is either from Richard Hull or Richard Hester, but when I view it it's marked "by guest » Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:08 am. Also, the "by guest" moniker has been applied to everyone else in the thread but me.

And another odd thing, when I look back through the posts in the Radiation Detection forum (page 55) I see no posts from Jan 16, 2002. Same result when searching my posts. ("your posts" in the quick links menu) No posts from Richard or myself (or anyone else) on Jan 16, 2002.

Jon Rosenstiel
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Richard,
As one of the broken link people your info is important.
You shared something about (privileged) entering text changes but not being able to "some thing" I don't understand.

When learning about the missing images in the FAQs I thought you reported fixing some of the missing images until you realized it was an endless task.

So here is a link to a key FAQ. Was the image at the end initially missing? did you in some way replace the missing image?

I think I remember you saying you tried to fix missing images for your posts until you realized it was an endless task.

#1 FAQ - HERE IS THE BASIC FUSOR!
Post by Richard Hull » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:31 pm
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2674#p12184
Rex Allers
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Good eye, Rex!

This one I did fix, however, the next two I did not fix as when I deleted and replaced the images they did not appear and it said, not uploaded yet. I then gave up. I had to go back to my old XP computer to fish out those ancient images. Took about 1/2 hour and failed, I just gave up trying to fix things. The newbies are the current losers wading into the FAQs. So sad.

As an admin person here I have across the board editing and erasure rights on any posting. I mentioned pix repairs way or may not work for me...Mostly NOT. However I can go into any ancient posting of mine with or without images and correct the text...misspells, grammar, punctuation and submit....Text changes made by me always take on re-submitting and do benefit from corrections and deletions in all ancient postings.

Richard Hull

Edit: Hey! I just tried and successfully up loaded replacement photos in three HV FAQs! good news so far. I will try as time permits to upload the old images if I can find them spread over 3 interim computers around here. XP, win 7 and win10. Being me, I stayed with XP until 2014. I still like it a lot and have and use the old computers in the labs. Win 7 was also good. Win 10 I just suffer with.

R.H.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Making some progress on the pictures. All pictures except the broken links should now be working. The broken links are problematic and I think some field is corrupted and may need to be merged from an older backup (he sighs).

In the early days, for a very short time, it was permissible for visitors to post to the forum without logging in. GUEST might mean a visitor who had not registered or a member that did not sign in. It was obvious quickly that there was no way to identify who the Guest was as posts were not usually signed. Opening the forum for non registered visitors to post just does not work.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS

Return to “Images du Jour”