Fusor Build - Colin Heath

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Colin Heath

Fusor Build - Colin Heath

Post by Colin Heath »

Hello All,

My third Fusor build (after many years away) in now in progress.

The main chamber is to be a 6” cylinder with Dairy clamp fittings on the ends to seal (A KF fitting but with O Ring groove). These will be sealed with Viton seals.

There will then be 4 off 1.5” inlets around circumference for vacuum, high voltage, view port and one spare for Gas later which will be vacuum gauge to start.

Here are pictures of the tube clamp I made this morningand the components for the stainless inner grid to be welded this week.
IMG_2103 (1).jpg
IMG_2103 (1).jpg (74.49 KiB) Viewed 9563 times
IMG_2102 (1).jpg
IMG_2102 (1).jpg (76.57 KiB) Viewed 9563 times
IMG_2101.jpg
IMG_2101.jpg (102.92 KiB) Viewed 9564 times
Attachments
IMG_2102.jpg
IMG_2102.jpg (8.05 KiB) Viewed 9564 times
Richard Hull

Re: Fusor Build - Colin Heath

Post by Richard Hull »

CNC metal cutter.....me like.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Colin Heath

Post by Colin Heath »

Yes it has transformed how we fabricate and design day to day, would struggle without it now!
Colin Heath

Post by Colin Heath »

I managed to get the inner grid welded today between jobs.

Not sure if the edges will need sharpening to reduce collision with the gris but will find out in due course. This is the first of many different shapes I will no doubt try.
IMG_2105.jpg
IMG_2105.jpg (70.14 KiB) Viewed 9348 times
Colin Heath

Post by Colin Heath »

Thought I should post up some progress as it’s been 1.5 years!

Got the chamber welded up today, using all dairy clamp fittings as these are same as KF but with self aligning seals.

It has 2 off 6” blank plates which one of will become a view port I am making and the other will be to house extra things later if required.

There are also 2 off 1.5” and 2 off 2” inlets.

Also have acquired an edwards 2 stage pump to get started.
Attachments
58F8D22F-D7E8-4272-9A25-B875A0F41E1D.jpeg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Great looking piece of work. Glad to see you back and looking forward to future reports on your effort.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Colin Heath

Post by Colin Heath »

Thanks Richard,

It has niggled me for years that each time I have built a system, I have then stopped before producing neutrons.

Want to make sure I don’t sell this one and also do lots of other interesting projects in vacuum.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Well, then you have a clear path - neutron detection. Such a goal is, without a dought, the best objective to obtain relative to plasma research/experiment; neutrons are elusive and very difficult to detect particles - further, thermo-nuclear fusion is one of the very few ways* for any amature to generate large numebers of neutrons. So proving fusion via neutron detection is a double achievement in that regards.

Even better there is a community forum (thanks to the hard work of a few indiveduals here!) that provides a place that one can gain adminstion to the very special and select group of people that have achieved fusion via neutron detection. So finishing your project is well worth the time and effort; especially if one already has both the deuterium supply and required power supply (as well as a chamber as your pic shows.) Best of luck and stay with it.

*Besides a very special person that has managed to do ehanced fission; which is not possible here forobvious reasons ;)
Colin Heath

Post by Colin Heath »

Thanks Dennis, yes I want to see this one right through and looking forward to the challenges ahead.

Return to “Images du Jour”