Cutting edge GM counter (1953)

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Rex Allers

Re: Cutting edge GM counter (1953)

Post by Rex Allers » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:36 am

Wow. I, at first, thought you were linking the GM counter manual.

All about neon lamps, 1966. Really cool, man. More than 100 pages. I'll have to digest it slowly.

One comment. I wish the guy that wrote the (pencil?) notes in it had better handwriting. Looks like good additions.

As for the Eveready reply. I don't want to get into, "Hey, you kids, get off my grass", mode, so I'll just let it pass.
Rex Allers

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:52 am

My first and only 90 volt battery was pretty old stock in about 1970.

Dad had taken me to J & H Outlet store in San Carlos. There we found all the parts
for a neon glow lamp blinker (relaxation oscillator) circuit in an already-old magazine or book.
Don't know if I've ever gotten an electric shock from a battery after that one.
Mike echo oscar whisky! I repeat! Mike echo oscar whisky, how do you copy? Over.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:10 am

Be glad you didn't stumble onto the 510 volt battery. It could supply a few milliamps! I laid eyes on a 510v batt in Batteries Plus. They have recessed, flat, silver-plated pad contacts. (see previous photo) When new, they are covered with a plastic insulating film. When placed into service, the battery door has a spring that forces the top of the battery into spike contacts in the photo flash battery holder. These pierced the film to make contact.

I have been shocked by the naked button contacts on the 90 volt jobs when a young boy...WOW!...DC is nasty. If you are at all sweaty the 67.5 volt battery will ring the old bell, too.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:06 am

Finally!! It took a few weeks, but apparently Eveready had someone go down to the sub-basement nether regions to talk to the "old retainer" sitting at the slant top desk with his green head visor on. Eveready stopped production of a all stack cell carbon-zinc high voltage batteries in 2011. Now you know and can talk with authority on the demise of those old portable vacuum tube application batteries of yesteryear.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.