putt-putt boat fusion

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Richard Hull

Re: putt-putt boat fusion

Post by Richard Hull »

One still has the issue of the electrical energy to create the terawatt joule energy on board the ship. I do not know just how low the input energy would need to be to do useful fusion in this situation that would supply a manned ship the required thrust to be of significant value is getting someone anywhere in space within a time frame that might be considered reasonable. One might posit such a system with unmanned probes using solar power within the solar system. This would mime the high impulse low thrust ion engines. Net energy available at the propulsion end will always be the final arbiter here. The ratio of collected solar or fission power plant energy would be multiplied many times using a working fusion system, but at what weight and volumetric size cost? You just can't beat the bean counters...They are always watching and calculating and more than willing to shoot flights of fantasy and proposed spacecraft out of the sky.

I give us more chance of reverse engineering an alien spacecraft at S-4 or capturing a "tic-tac" than getting a working fusion system into space.

One man's fantasy is always as good as another.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Re: putt-putt boat

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Hey Richard, just seeing this thread for the first time...

That "putt putt boat" looks vaguely familiar. I think there may have been one in my bathtub, too.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The only reason this old post is at the top is that the image disappeared and I replaced it with new textual info.
I am on a long time mission to replace some of my images lost in the transfer. I am far more focused on the FAQS right now, but also do the easy pick-up images in images du Jour.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Cristiano_Machado

Post by Cristiano_Machado »

I seems that we can find some pictures at google, this was the picture
D97C15DB-4132-4C6C-9740-A4296FAA7E4F.jpeg
D97C15DB-4132-4C6C-9740-A4296FAA7E4F.jpeg (15 KiB) Viewed 3794 times

Return to “Images du Jour”