HEAS 2017 - post all images here!

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Richard Hull

HEAS 2017 - post all images here!

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:11 pm

I would like all photos posted as replies here please. If you have them, put them here as replies with your text. Thanks

Here are my posted pix covering some of the flea market which, as always, was big hit and many left with goodies needed to either start or finish up a fusor. Beautiful day, high Temperature was 85 degrees, sunny and nice. Total attendence 48 people. Fusor IV was operated on 4 separate runs and produced 1.4 million n/s. We activated Indium, Silver and Rhodium.

The evening power point presentations were made by Kevin Dunn on the Chemistry of soapmaking, Tim Koethe on the refueling of Univrsity of Maryland's swimming pool reactor, Jim Kovalchik talked on he and his wife's Uranium glass collection and their efforts to discover new specimens. Finally, T.R. Leary gave a late night talk on his efforts at chemo-magnetic levitation with demos. He also talked of extracting copper from VA minerals, (He had a 3 ounce ingot he extracted). He also talked on his growing sulphur crystals. The last man shut the event down by leaving the lab and headed home at 3:15 am Sunday morning.

The farthest traveled attendee was Joe Ballantyne from Redmond, Washington, Dave Rosignoli traveled from Colorado.

I will not name names, but during a couple of trips on dinner runs to Texas Road House, two of our attendees ordered and consumed at one sitting a custom selected and cooked 32 ounce steak each. On subsequent visits they backed off to selected 24 ounce steaks. Everyone had a blast at HEAS 2017.

Richard Hull
Attachments
2017-15.JPG
Tim Koeth's table with a lot of vacuum goodies, chemicals and minerals... I picked up a fabulous Sapphire gas leak valve
2017-14.JPG
Jim Kovalchick's table with his wife in the back ground. I bought some of his Apiezon L grease (got some squeaky door hinges)
2017-13.JPG
Richard Hull's offerings pix#1 (solar cells, elements, GM counter)...Ceramic HV door knob capacitors
2017-12.JPG
Richard Hull's offerings pix#2 (mica windowed GM counter tubes for sale in demonstrator) U ore mineral specimens
2017-11.JPG
Richard Hull's offerings pix#3 Model Rocket engines, mercury, Trinitite
2017-10.JPG
T.R. Leary's table bismuth crystals, minerals, lab glass, etc.
2017-9.JPG
Bob Deaton talks to George LeMaster about Bob's offerings in his trunk
2017-8.JPG
John Freau (from New Jersey) selling his Tesla coil toroids..I bought one...John came to the first 1989 event!!
2017-7.JPG
T.R Leary at his "hydrogen in a can" offering (military surplus Calcium Hydride) T.R. always has unusual stuff
2017-6.JPG
Warren Ellingsen's giant vacuum inventory sale goodies. I bought 6 MKS baratron capacitive manometers....Cheap!!
2017-5.JPG
More of Warren's stuff..Dave Rosignoli checks out the goods... I dumped a gang o' bread on Warren.
2017-4.JPG
Warren's materials included four turbo pumps, (two had matching controllers!
2017-3.JPG
Yet more of Warren's materials.....
2017-2.JPG
Bill Kolb's sales... He had his two scholarly books for sale on "Living with Radiation" and "Trinitite"
2017-1.JPG
Lou Stetz trying to set up his tables while being "button holed" by an old friend...He who is not set up early is lost!
2017.JPG
Warren shielding his eyes against the blinding early morning sun standing by his van
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Jim Kovalchick

Re: HEAS 2017 - post all images here!

Post by Jim Kovalchick » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:04 pm

I took advantage of Richard's plentiful neutrons to test a prototype neutron clicker made with a chunk of HDPE, a scavenged LiI scintillator from a Neutronrae, and an SK1 clicker. The detector is completely self contained and chatters when exposed to neutrons. I was very pleased with the results except the SK1 swamped a little when there were too many neutrons. At 700,000 neutrons per second I needed to hold it back nearly 18 inches. I can easily swap the SK1 for a bnc cable connected to NIM components to make a decent counter.

https://youtu.be/E5xuy55Ba5U
Attachments
20171005_194954.jpg

Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Some HEAS pictures taken Saturday. As always it was a great time.
Attachments
20171007_151559.jpg
Jim in foreground with his LiI Neutron counter as Hull operates the fusor
20171007_151613.jpg
By-standers look on as fusor IV is put through its paces
20171007_151625.jpg
Some folks didn't get a lot of sleep and as the day wore on, yawning was often observed
20171007_151653_001.jpg
A somewhat washed out image of the video Monitor and fusorIV's star mode image.
20171007_151719.jpg
All these shots were of folks in the lab building talking and observing demo's
20171007_151724.jpg
20171007_151730.jpg

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:04 pm

Wish I were there this year.

Jim, is your little detector one of the NeutronRAE pulls that are periodically offered on ebay with bent or missing pins? What's your hit rate for finding them to be functional?

Is it too late to get an answer about how much the count rate is affected by presence of a moderator?

I am seeing your picture thumbnails upside-down. As discussed in a recent thread started by one precocious newbie, some cameras and smartphones automatically guess at the intended orientation, and store that in the file's metadata. But IMHO, it's not yet respected widely enough in forum / browser / filesystem explorer software to depend on it.

Rich
Mike echo oscar whisky! I repeat! Mike echo oscar whisky, how do you copy? Over.

Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:48 pm

Rich,
My counter does not use one of the Scionix plug in, mini pmt detectors. It is uses a NeutronRAE metal enclosed crystal with a pin diode and internal preamp.

I did not do a comparison measure with and without miderator because in the current configuration I only use sound. I can say though that the moderator changes the countrate by orders of magnitude.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:04 pm

I thought it HEAS 2017 was being held here in Virginia and not Australia ... or, maybe, the images are posting upside down (lol.) Great pics none-the-less and thank you for posting them!

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:13 pm

Cool! This makes me wish there was something like a West Coast HEAS.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:52 am

All there ever needs to be for a real West Coast event like HEAS is one and only one person willing to dedicate his home and property for one or two days a year for the event, ( human spark plug), and enough people who really care about such a venue and are willing to travel to get there. As the event grows, if it grows, prepare to have any lawn you own ruined by parking of 20 or more cars and even more people walking around on it for hours and hours. After the event is over, there is always a trash detail to police up the debris left by a few careless and indifferent attendees. Your toilet will be used far more than 100 times during the event, unless you rent at least two "porta-johns". You should live in an area that has a decent number of nearby motels and food venues, unless you plan to feed them on site. Both Ed Wingate and myself fed all attendess for a number of years until the quoted catering prices just bcame too much to bear.

Jon Rosenstiel held a single event, I believe, a number of years ago at his California home with about 4 or 5 folks present. Which was a nice West Coast effort. I am unaware of it happening a second time. Of course, all fusioneers often have guests call from out of town who will be passing through. Enthusiastic fusor owners will often give them a special show and tell. I do this about 3 or 4 times a year for interested persons or even small groups, provided we set up a mutually suitable time frame for both.

Richard Hull

P.S. OK folks.....I saw a ton of cameras snapping photos.......Post some of the best of them!!!
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:46 am

Nice pictures. Hopefully more to come. One suggestion... It would be nice if, when known, there was a caption describing who or what is in the picture.

Rich and Dennis,
Regarding the orientation of images in the posts, at the time of the last discussion about this stuff I started to do a FAQ type post on images in the forum but got distracted and didn't finish it. I still intend to post it eventually.

Quickly, for now, all imaging sensors in cameras have one orientation that is considered normal. For a regular digital camera the normal orientation of the camera should be obvious. For a phone camera, normal is maybe not so obvious. These days most digital cameras including ones in phones have an accelerometer that can sense gravity and figure out if the picture was taken with the camera in other than "normal" orientation.

If the picture was not normal, the camera can record the orientation in one field of the EXIF section of meta data that is attached as part of the image file. The actual image data in the file is usually still sequenced as the "normal" of the sensor. Most browsers and display software understands the EXIF data convention and can rotate the image, as it is displayed, if the normal of the image data is not the way the camera was oriented.

When a poster adds an image to their post, if it is too big to fit in the message window, the forum software creates a smaller thumbnail image to put in the post. The original uploaded image file is still kept and usually will be shown by itself if you click on the thumbnail. It seems that when the thumbnail image is created, the EXIF info in the original image is ignored and no EXIF data is included in the thumbnail file. So the thumbnails always are shown in "normal" orientation which has a 1-in-4 chance of being how the world was, relative to the camera.

So, in the pictures above that seem to be upside down, if I click on one of them, my browser opens the original file, sees the EXIF data and rotates the image. So the bigger picture that I see, when I click on the thumbnail image, is displayed right side up.

There are more details I could provide and ways to process images before posting to avoid this, but I'll save that for the longer post I intend to make eventually.
Rex Allers

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:16 am

I have gone through my pix and captioned them. Sadly the photos from Jim remain inverted...(for some of us). I am undertaking to caption his images. You folks can make 'em up-right.
Thanks Rex for explaining the inversion related to smart phone images.

Richard Hull