Fusion Reactor Progress

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Sam_Samida-Pugh

Fusion Reactor Progress

Post by Sam_Samida-Pugh »

Hello Everyone,

I have come much closer to fusion since my last posting, I am nearly finished the deuterium system and completed the power supply.

For the deuterium system, I decided to go down the PEM cell route as getting pure deuterium proved to be very difficult up here in Canada.
The deuterium system is very simple and thrown together. All it is is the PEM cell, an over under pressure system, drierite and a needle valve, I plan to upgrade this system in the future.

For the power supply, I put together a new casing for the transformer, it is much neater than my previous housing which was a 5-gallon paint pail. The rectifier is made of 4 diodes in each string: 2 40kV diodes and 2 20kV diodes, this will allow me to go up to 60kV DC (120kV AC), however, I only plan on going up to 35kV in my first couple months of testing. I am using a simple analog mA meter in between the HV windings for current metering. For voltage measuring, I am using an HV divider hooked up with a multimeter. Of course for voltage control, I am using a 20 amp variac.
Power Supply System
Power Supply System
Metering
Metering
The vacuum system is composed of a 6 CFM mechanical pump with an absolute pressure of 15 microns, the secondary pump is an Alcatel Turbo Pump.
Full System
Full System
The chamber pressure measurement system is composed of an old analog ion gauge controller. I am having trouble with the operation of this gauge. I will turn on the filament and it will light for a second and then turn off. I understand that this happens when the pressure is too high, however, I know that this is not the case because I will turn on the filament after the turbo pump runs and reaches its final 27,000 RPM rating. If anyone has any idea why this is happening then please don't hesitate to throw some insight my way.

As for neutron measurement, I plan on using a BN-PND bubble dosimeter, I just have to wait for it to arrive in the mail.

As soon as the detector arrives and I work out the ion gauge issue, I will be ready to fuse.

I have also attached some pictures from my demo fusion tests.
grid 5.PNG
chamber-grid.PNG

Regards,
Sam
John Futter

Re: Fusion Reactor Progress

Post by John Futter »

Sam
Pressure looks to be pretty high
you are going to need a pirani gauge to verity that your backing pressure is below 2 x ten to the minus 1 millibar
If the pressure is higher than this the turbo will not work ie stall and by stall I mean that it can not pump in the molecular way.
The pressure I have given is the highest your pressure can get. Normally you would get to 5 x ten to the minus 2 millibar before starting the turbo
Sam_Samida-Pugh

John,
I understand that the pressure in the photos provided look quite high, they were taken before I fixed a couple leaks, they were also taken only after a 1 minute pump down on the mechanical pump.
I am sure that I am getting to at least 40 microns as I am able to turn the turbo pump on and have it run fine with no stalls. Although my ion gauge is not working, I am confident that I am reaching well below 10E-3 torr.
Sam
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Sam
Unless you know the backing pressure is fine the turbo may still not pump due to high backing pressure caused by leaks , bad backing pump, outgassing.
The turbo will run up ok above the pressure I stated but will not pump and the electronics may not report this as a fault.
To start up the turbo requires 1/10,000 of an atmosphere unless it is one of the very late model drag pumps (Read Expensive and not on the ebay market yet in numbers)
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

You really need a TC gauge in the foreline. If you are in the 5 micron or below range, 10,000 volts on the fusor will not make it glow, if below 1 micron, 30,000 volts will not make it glow or light in any fashion. Do you light up with the turbo running? If you do get a glow at 5-10kv then you aren't even close to the low pressure needed.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Sam_Samida-Pugh

I do have a TC gauge in the foreline, however, it reads in torr. After a 5 minute pump down on the mechanical pump it reads well below 0.1 torr. I know that this isn't accurate, I do plan to invest in a micron readout for the TC gauge. Hoping that I can fix my ion gauge issue as well so I can get some precise pressure measurements.

After the turbo reached its full rpm, I turned on the HV supply. No glow at 30kV.

Sam
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Based on your report, you have a fusion ready low vacuum starting point. Using only a good micron TC gauge you could now pump in deuterium until it reads between 5 and 10 microns. The Ion gauge is a bit of an overkill. It is sufficient that you have a no glow vacuum at 30kv. Backfill with deuterium against a pinched, restricted vacuum from the turbo to create the ideal flowing D2 atmosphere for fusion.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Sam_Samida-Pugh

Thanks for the insight. Just need to finish a couple loose ends (neutron dosimeter and TC gauge) and I'll be ready for my first attempt..

Got some nicer demo fusion photos:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Sam
OK now I believe you are getting the necessary vacuum
nice pics bugles starting to appear
Sam_Samida-Pugh

Thanks John.

Although I don't have my bubble dosimeter detector yet, I wanted to get some practice with the deuterium system and decided to leak in some D2 after pumping the system down with the turbo.

Got some good shots:
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_4130 (2).JPG

Return to “Images du Jour”