Arduino based GM counters

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Richard Hull

Arduino based GM counters

Post by Richard Hull »

I have been toying with the arduino and linking it to my rather large stash of 5979 GM tubes. These tubes are 6 inches long and an inch in diameter. They have a mica window meaning they detect alpha, beta and gamma radiation, which is really nice.

I have merged them into a rather labor intensive "ray gun" style counter of two varieties. (see images below)

One has a reflective type 4X20 LCD display and the other is identical, but uses a 2X16 "Backlit" display.
Both types give 4 lines of data
1. Total counts since reset (running count)
2. Current CPM (udated every ten seconds)
3. Current Dose rate in mrem/hr (updated every 10 seconds)
4. Current absorbed dose at GM tube face in mrem (updated every ten seconds)

They both use a standard 9 volt transistor radio battery. The handles are removable via a thumbscrew allowing the counter to be mounted on a tripod or camera copy stand via its 1/4 X 20 female thread base. (gotta' stain those wood handles!)

I have both at $200.00 each for sale at hamfests and mineral shows where I sell trinitite and U ore. I have sold 3 already and am already tired of all the machine work, drilling and tapping etc. The circuit boards are from Express PCB. I used their free software to design them and they made them up in no time. I was very pleased with them.

I thought you might like to see my results.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Ray Gun reflectiveA.jpg
RayGun BacklitA.jpg
RaygunsA.jpg
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Andrew Robinson

Re: Arduino based GM counters

Post by Andrew Robinson »

Looks pretty cool Richard! Looking forward to seeing them in person this October.

By the way, kudos for using ExpressPCB. I LOVE ExpressPCB (Although I dont love what they recently did to their website...)! I have been using them for years now. Good to see someone else out there using a somewhat small esoteric total PCB solution. While there custom software is not exactly Eagle, it sure makes the entire process streamlined. LOVE IT!
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

I also have used Express PCB. A one stop solution for circuit boards.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

ExpressPCB is fine for when you need something real quick but if you can wait a week or two OSHPark is the way to go. Very good boards for very good prices. Two layer, gold plated, purple conformal, silks both sides, 7 mil traces. You get three boards for $5 per square inch.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Update...

I no longer use the long mica windowed tube as it forces an increased price that is a "bridge too far" for many.
I now use the Russian STS-5 GM tube in all counters and the new models run around $100 and sell right along to mostly mineral collectors and prepers.
The latest and last revision PCB for all my counters support many display options.
A few images below

Richard Hull
Attachments
Rad Reporter I.jpg
Rev2.CTC5.jpg
Rad ReporterII.jpg
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Images du Jour”