Neutron Club Application- Zan Chaudhry

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Zan_Chaudhry

Re: Neutron Club Application- Zan Chaudhry

Post by Zan_Chaudhry » Tue May 24, 2016 12:17 am

I cleaned up my system a bit. I added a permanent camera with lead vests around the viewport. I got in contact with the nuclear medicine department, and they said that I can go use their Cs-137 on Thursday.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Zan_Chaudhry

Post by Zan_Chaudhry » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:01 pm

Sorry for not posting anything for so long, I've been gone for family reasons. But now I'm back, and I've got some work done. The testing of my neutron detector at the hospital was a complete failure due to a simple problem I didn't notice earlier. The wire was shorting randomly, and so the counts went crazy every once in a while. Now I've fixed that by replacing the wire, and I tested again (not with Cesium, just background) and my background was 4 cpm. I tested gamma sensitivity with a decent piece of Uranium ore and had no change in background. I still want to test again with Cesium, so I'll inquire at the hospital again. And for the fusor power, I have acquired an old x-ray transformer, which is meant to give out 65 kv 8 ma half wave, but I'm planning on going at 40 kv. I included the pictures of the tear down and assembly of my transformer. Now I'm getting ready for another run (I, very stupidly, tripped on a wire and knocked my neutron detector down. It didn't break, but the bnc connector on top of it did, so I'm fixing it now), and I'll post the results soon.
Attachments
IMG_2942.JPG
IMG_2941.JPG
IMG_2940.JPG
IMG_2914.JPG
IMG_2913.JPG

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:48 am

Keep at it and you will get there. The need for an un-impeachable neutron counter is more important than the fusor, itself when claiming fusion. To detect fusion your tube needs a moderator. The tube should be able to be removed. Counts made with and without the moderator are key to proof of fusion.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Zan_Chaudhry

Post by Zan_Chaudhry » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:30 pm

Okay, I'm getting really frustrated now. In order to fix the BNC connector on my 3He tube, I had to change the wires inside because they broke as well. As soon as I did that, all of my calibration is thrown off and I've been trying for hours, but I think my Uranium ore is not what it was advertised to be, meaning my earlier calibration was screwed up as well. So now I have to work with the Cesium at the hospital, but the people at nuclear medicine won't let me stay there for too long. So instead, I thought of buying my own 10 microcuries of Cs-137 from United Nuclear (I had gone there in the past by accident while researching Polonium), but there's still no guarantee that I can get my system working. So now my plan is to buy a BTI bubble detector and use that for now, while at the same time trying to calibrate my 3He detector with the limited time I can get at the hospital (I'll go multiple times though). Now, Mr. Hull, I really appreciate your statement about how tricky it is to calibrate these detectors.

Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:50 pm

Zan, it might be an idea to think about making a trip to someone who has a calibrated source or two/can help out with getting your tube working rather than spending yonks fiddling with it. There's sure to be someone with a calibrated source/tubes etc that will get you working in no time.

Check out if there are any fusioneers in the area willing to help. I see Maryland is in the vicinity of Richmond on a map. Perhaps Richard knows some people who can help if you give him a shout.

Tom

Zan_Chaudhry

Post by Zan_Chaudhry » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:46 pm

Okay, thank you for the suggestion. Does anybody know of someone with a calibrated source in the vicinity of Ellicott City, Maryland?

Nick Peskosky

Post by Nick Peskosky » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:38 am

You might want to reach out to Timothy Koeth at UMD. He works in the accelerator/experimental reactor department as a professor and would likely be able to lend you a hand. I know he has given tours to many of the younger board members who have ventured his way and loves anything nuclear related.
Nick Peskosky
NPeskosky@gmail.com

"The whole of science is nothing more than the refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:25 am

Dr. Timothy Koeth
Associate Research Professor
Director, Nuclear Reactor and Radiation Facilities
Institute for Research in Electronics and Applied Physics
University of Maryland
301-405-4952 (office)

Tim is a good guy and he might find time to help you out. Your tube might work out OK but it is a crap shoot on whether it can be brought to reliable neutron service free of all gamma detection. Again the real test is put the tube, naked in a fast neutron field, take a one minute count, then jam it into a good moderator and count for another minute. The two counts need to be vastly different if it is counting neutrons.

Richrd Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Zan_Chaudhry

Post by Zan_Chaudhry » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:32 pm

Thank you very much for the information.

I'll give him a call and see if he has time, and if he does I'll see what we can do. Hopefully I can get my tube working, but I'm still going to get a bubble dosimeter (If anyone wants to group purchase with me: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10962). If my detector works properly, then I'll use the dosimeter for getting an isotropic emission rate conversion factor.

Thank you again very much, this is very helpful.

Zan

Zan_Chaudhry

Post by Zan_Chaudhry » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:27 pm

Okay, so a lot has happened. My small x ray transformer turned out to have half a burnt secondary that was kind of intermittently working. So I replaced it. My dad happened to have a broken AMX 4 x ray that I opened and removed the transformer from. It's rated at 120 kv 25 ma and it's pretty big. So I fixed it up to my system and built a new probe out of around 180 2.2 m ohm resistors inside a vinyl tube filled with oil and a 400k ohm resistor on the end. I finished all of this yesterday, and I decided to just try it out. I recently got a usb oscilloscope, and I plugged the probe from the scope to my probe. So I fired it up just to take it for a spin, and I got it working at around 2 microns, 32kv and 30ma and I got some neutrons in my bubble detector. I attached the pictures of my new setup, new transformer, and the bubbles, but I didn't really have the cameras set up for watching my grid. I'll repeat today and post the pictures of that. I counted 3 bubbles.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg