Distant Vision inscribed by Pem Farnsworth

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Jason Callaway

Distant Vision inscribed by Pem Farnsworth

Post by Jason Callaway »

I've been building out my fusion library, and picked up a used copy of a Farnsworth biography titled Distant VIsion[0], written by his wife, Pem.

I was pleased to find an inscription inside the cover by Pem that reads:
To Chris Smith
You can reach your highest goal if you just remember nothing is impossible - it just takes longer. You must never lose faith in yourself or your Maker.
From your good friend and mine Julie Elliott
Sincerely,
Elma "Pem" Farnsworth
11-11-99
Does anybody know who Chris Smith or Julie Elliott are? Casual Googling hasn't revealed anything too interesting except a tenuous connection on a genealogy website [1] -- somebody named Chris Smith is managing a wiki page on a Daphne Farnsworth.

I haven't yet read the book, so I don't know if the contents contain anything related.

Not very important, I just like tracking down information like this.

[0] - http://www.amazon.com/Distant-Vision-Di ... 0962327603
[1] - http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Farnsworth-487
Attachments
Distant Vision with inscription from Pem Farnsworth
Distant Vision with inscription from Pem Farnsworth
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Re: Distant Vision inscribed by Pem Farnsworth

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Jason, neither of those names conjures up any recollections from the annals of Farnsworth. Sounds to me like somebody named Julie Elliott - perhaps a friend of Pem's - purchased a copy of the book as a gift for Chris Smith. Whoever he was...

--P
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Richard Hull

Re: Distant Vision inscribed by Pem Farnsworth

Post by Richard Hull »

Interesting topic. Usually a signed copy of any book carrys a certain cache and commands a premium in some minds. Oddly, the book "U Boom" by Al Look commands a slight premium if not signed! He signed the vast majority of that book's release apparently he distributed them and signed almost every copy prior to sale. A few have an added inscription to friends or applied at a book signing.

I have several copies in my library only one is unsigned. Great book, by the way. Al had a great way with words using old "Southwest speak" throughout.

I paraphrase here...... Just as the old, grizzled, four corners prospectors had their belts cinched up to the last notch, the new U boom allow them and their mules to eat good grub again....

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Images du Jour”