Mobile Liquid Nitrogen Tank

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Andrew Robinson

Mobile Liquid Nitrogen Tank

Post by Andrew Robinson »

Yet another long overdue post. Work, life, etc... Ok, here we go...

So for awhile now we have been needing a more manageable LN2 solution. Our large 180L tanks just don't cut it for portability so we decided to build this smaller guy. Now we're able to fill this guy off our larger tanks and basically take it anywhere! ROCK ON! Also makes for easy testing of cooling systems since its easier to move and able to fit into smaller spaces. We built almost everything you see with the exception ofcourse being the actual vacuum tank. The tank is a simple vacuum jacketed 50L system with a NW-50 on top. The tank was of course cleaned up and refinished as I do with all old equipment I purchase. Everything else is brand new and/or custom. I built the custom cover on the bottom. It serves several purposes. It's a load bearing system on the inside made up of several crossing straps that terminate at load bearing welded D rings around the perimeter. This gives us additional securing options when traveling. The cover is also made of a tough cross weaved vinyl with an inner padding so the tank can be banged around a bit and wont be damaged. There is also a matching dolly so the tank can be moved around easily when full. Lastly, we had custom decals printed so everything matched and so everything was a little tougher when exposed to the cold from drips and condensate.

For the withdraw system, we're currently using a pressure reinforced NW-50 ring and a custom machined cap to interface with the tank. I designed in both a gas and liquid withdraw system as well as two separate pressure reliefs, gauge, and pressure building circuit similar to full sized vessels. Currently we have engineered the pressure vessel with a FoS of 3.0 but we're still making a few adjustments and tweaking the design. As you can tell, everything was done with Swagelok which is great, but as most of you know is SUPER expensive. Its funny. This all started when we decided we didn't want to pay $1000+ for a LN2 withdraw system made with crappy parts from the plumbing aisle of your local hardware store (Seriously, go look at the commercial offerings). We therefore resolved to instead build it ourselves out of higher grade materials. Ultimately though, with all the additions, and design changes it ended up costing way more haha. There's your text book example of scope creep for the day! All in all, I'm still very happy. The only thing that we still nervously chuckle at is the fact that we intentionally designed in valves not rated for cryogenic use... Yes yes, I know... This was decided because it was just a quick simple build, and the tank has a really short duty cycle. The valves so far are holding up really well. We're keeping our eyes on them though lol. To Cristen the new "fun" tank (as we're calling it), we chilled some celebratory adult beverages. Cheers!

WARNING Please be smart with LN2! Cryogenic burns are no laughing matter. Beyond the visible hazards are the invisible ones. Liquid nitrogen has about a 1:695 expansion ratio! Oxygen depleted atmospheres are a very real threat when dealing with large quantities of LN2. You are generally safe yourself with small tanks but do also consider mans best friend closer to the ground! Ventilation is a must! Most people that survive in larger accidents, claim to have felt like nothing was wrong just before passing out. They felt they were breathing just fine! If you use larger tanks. Do yourself a favor. Install an oxygen monitoring system. Yes they are expensive... We use both a wall mounted unit and disposable personal versions. What price do you put on your life? Just be smart. Use gear rated for cryogenic use! Ventilation! Pressure reliefs + backups on all tanks (Never completely seal a LN2 tank)! Proper signage and O2 monitors if work space warrants it. This is a VERY brief overview. Go do your research and check out the MSDS on LN2 before having fun yourself.

More pictures in a directly following post...
Extremely rough concepts on the "think bench" using spare parts in stock just to brainstorm.
Extremely rough concepts on the "think bench" using spare parts in stock just to brainstorm.
Initial CAD concepts of what we played with on the "think bench".
Initial CAD concepts of what we played with on the "think bench".
Close up of NW-50 port before refinishing.
Close up of NW-50 port before refinishing.
Top of tank after media blasting exterior.
Top of tank after media blasting exterior.
Another view of tank after media blasting.
Another view of tank after media blasting.
View of side vacuum port after media blasting tank exterior.
View of side vacuum port after media blasting tank exterior.
Tank getting its new paint job.
Tank getting its new paint job.
Initial non matching snowflake decal.
Initial non matching snowflake decal.
Initial school bus yellow decal.
Initial school bus yellow decal.
Partial CAD view. I removed all the valves and other Swagelok for a clear view of the custom machined NW50 blank.
Partial CAD view. I removed all the valves and other Swagelok for a clear view of the custom machined NW50 blank.
Transparent view to reveal the over pressure ring.
Transparent view to reveal the over pressure ring.
Sectional view of the primary parts.
Sectional view of the primary parts.
Exploded view of the primary parts.
Exploded view of the primary parts.
First test fit of new copper vaporizer. This just goes to show that copper work is possible if you have enough patience. In addition to very slowly coiling this around a form, I made use of a technique developed by brass instrument makers. For the critical bends, water was frozen into the lines before bending to discourage crimping. I wish I had worked the initial loop a little more at the top but overall I am very satisfied with the results. Outside of a few small scale tests to determine maximum bend radius both frozen and unfrozen, this was a first attempt success.
First test fit of new copper vaporizer. This just goes to show that copper work is possible if you have enough patience. In addition to very slowly coiling this around a form, I made use of a technique developed by brass instrument makers. For the critical bends, water was frozen into the lines before bending to discourage crimping. I wish I had worked the initial loop a little more at the top but overall I am very satisfied with the results. Outside of a few small scale tests to determine maximum bend radius both frozen and unfrozen, this was a first attempt success.
Partially compete. Still lots of Swagelok to design in and purchase... $$$
Custom made decals designed to match the yellow webbing in the case. The standard decals just looked terrible and nothing matched so I decided to go back to the drawing board. All decals were built from scratch using Adobe Illustrator (Vector art compatibility) for printing by the local sign shop.
Custom made decals designed to match the yellow webbing in the case. The standard decals just looked terrible and nothing matched so I decided to go back to the drawing board. All decals were built from scratch using Adobe Illustrator (Vector art compatibility) for printing by the local sign shop.
Ratcheting strap that feeds through the loops under the D rings as additional option for securing the tank while transporting.
Ratcheting strap that feeds through the loops under the D rings as additional option for securing the tank while transporting.
Heavy duty welded D rings around the perimeter of the case. Can be used as tie downs, for lifting, etc.
Heavy duty welded D rings around the perimeter of the case. Can be used as tie downs, for lifting, etc.
Custom load bearing case built out of an inner crisscross webbing system with a free floating outer vinyl shell for abrasion resistance.
Custom load bearing case built out of an inner crisscross webbing system with a free floating outer vinyl shell for abrasion resistance.
Last edited by Andrew Robinson on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Andrew Robinson

Re: Mobile Liquid Nitrogen Tank

More pictures as promised...
Custom steel dolly for tank when transporting.
Custom steel dolly for tank when transporting.
Back view of withdraw system. Still need to attach tags for each withdraw.
Back view of withdraw system. Still need to attach tags for each withdraw.
Looking down through copper vaporizer.
Looking down through copper vaporizer.
Top view of fully assembled all Swagelok LN2 gas and liquid withdraw system with pressure building circuit.
Top view of fully assembled all Swagelok LN2 gas and liquid withdraw system with pressure building circuit.
Slowly bringing the temperature down for first test of "non cryogenic" valves :)
Slowly bringing the temperature down for first test of "non cryogenic" valves :)
Underside of liquid withdraw side while bringing the temperature down.
Underside of liquid withdraw side while bringing the temperature down.
Another shot of the liquid withdraw side while bringing the temperature down.
Another shot of the liquid withdraw side while bringing the temperature down.
Continuing to bring the temperature down.
Liquid withdraw continues to cool. Most LN2 still evaporating at this point.
Liquid withdraw continues to cool. Most LN2 still evaporating at this point.
Now that liquid withdraw has reached the optimal temperature, we're starting to get two phase cryogenic flows.
Now that liquid withdraw has reached the optimal temperature, we're starting to get two phase cryogenic flows.
Expected ice buildup on non vacuum insulated plumbing after a lengthy run. Duty cycle is still relatively short and valves are still holding up nicely for now...
Expected ice buildup on non vacuum insulated plumbing after a lengthy run. Duty cycle is still relatively short and valves are still holding up nicely for now...
You can see the ice starting to overtake the knob. This is bad...
You can see the ice starting to overtake the knob. This is bad...
More ice buildup.
More ice buildup.
Non goof mode.
Non goof mode.
Preparations for goof mode.
Preparations for goof mode.
Full goof mode... About $20 for 50L, so its cheap to goof off.
Full goof mode... About $20 for 50L, so its cheap to goof off.
Celebratory beers briefly getting chilled so as to not shatter my awesome beer mugs. Delicious!
Celebratory beers briefly getting chilled so as to not shatter my awesome beer mugs. Delicious!
After a hard day of work in the lab, its nice to relax with a super chilled adult beverage :)
After a hard day of work in the lab, its nice to relax with a super chilled adult beverage :)
Accidentally left the tank on in the backyard and it froze the place solid... hahaha... Felt appropriate to include a pic of the recent ice storm that hit Raleigh. (Did someone say "Let it go" hahaha)
Accidentally left the tank on in the backyard and it froze the place solid... hahaha... Felt appropriate to include a pic of the recent ice storm that hit Raleigh. (Did someone say "Let it go" hahaha)
Andrew Robinson

Also in case you were wondering, the two horizontal tubes were just for the sake of that day. Usually the valves are directly connected to cryogenic transfer lines when filling or withdrawing and usually we keep a phase separator on the end of the withdraw hose.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

You really should have two pressure reliefs on a hard sealed dewar. There are times when a pop-off can freeze up and bad things happen. If you have a withdrawal like whats on my 50L where they use springs to hold a stopper in place that makes the seal then you can get away with one pop-off.

My smaller 25L dewar is a hard seal like yours. You really dont need to go fancy with the valves, the commercial withdrawal head on mine just uses pretty generic ball valves which are nice because they are fast closing. All of the cryo systems I have worked on that do use poppet valves have the packing extended away from the fluid section of the valve to keep the packing out of the cold as much as possible.

I used to work on the 5000l N2 and O2 dewars and vaporizers for the laser cutters at one of the shops I used to work at.

The valve on the side of the tank is called a cryo-lab valve, they are very standard for pumping down dewars and scientific equipment. I have a CCD camera that uses one as well as the EDX unit on my SEM. I only had a small actuator to operate the one on my SEM so I made an adapter that allowed me to operate the larger valve with it. Dewars do need to be pumped down periodically, they really like to be in the 10^-5 range if you can get them there.

http://www.cpc-cryolab.com
Andrew Robinson

Yup, all excellent points. There is a second blow out valve, just not pictured. Currently the first is set to release around 22PSI with the second blowing at 30PSI. As for the valves, you are again correct. We had wanted to use ball valves or as you expertly pointed out, valves that get the internals as far from center line as possible. Unfortunately the valves used were on hand. I would love to switch. Would make things muck quicker...
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Andrew Robinson wrote:Yup, all excellent points. There is a second blow out valve, just not pictured. Currently the first is set to release around 22PSI with the second blowing at 30PSI. As for the valves, you are again correct. We had wanted to use ball valves or as you expertly pointed out, valves that get the internals as far from center line as possible. Unfortunately the valves used were on hand. I would love to switch. Would make things muck quicker...
22 seems a bit high, mine start leaking at about 10-12 PSI. These are the ones that are used on my dewars:

http://www.generant.com/vrv.shtml

What is nice about these is they slowly bleed when they get to pressure instead of a burst of pressure until the close back up like a lot of pop-offs do.
Andrew Robinson

We are able to set ours anywhere from 3 PSI - X PSI. I forget the max. Somewhere well above 60 PSI (in the realm we have no need to venture). We stuck with 22PSI as that is the standard tank pressure for larger vessels, however we currently have it cranked down to 15PSI for added peace of mind. The slow bleed is really nice too. Ours behaves identically.

Return to “Images du Jour”