Sam's First Fusor Run

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Samuel Low

Sam's First Fusor Run

Post by Samuel Low »

Hello all from Singapore,

While the school semester progresses, I've edged off time to build a demo fusor and here are the results!
Resultant discharge of plasma
Resultant discharge of plasma
While it is all very qualitative and I don't really have much data on it. I don't even know what the exact pressure on the gauge is because it maxes out beyond the gauge's range, and I don't have a GM tube as of yet since this is a demo fusor. I don't exactly know what to make of the plasma's shape and discharge.

It is really a classic bell jar fusor, with about half-inch thick borosilicate glass, 230V AC input, with a variac, then hooked to a 12kV NST, rectified, and smoothened with a 20kV cap. Nothing more than that. But it was a good exercise in handling HV and vacuum systems.

I am now thinking of introducing deuterium into the system, but I don't know if this will affect the risk of implosion any more than the current vacuum system does.

Anyway thank you to all experienced fusioneers, engineers and all who have written the extremely helpful posts and articles. It has been a great learning journey thus far :)
"Physicists are made of atoms." - Michio Kaku
Richard Hull

Re: Sam's First Fusor Run

Post by Richard Hull »

Slow beginnings are all what it is about. Your image tells me you are still far from the desired level of vacuum in a good demo fusor.
It could be your vacuum seals or a poor performing pump.

I have added your name to the Plasma club.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Samuel Low

Post by Samuel Low »

Hello Richard, yes, you are right about that. It is not a very good vacuum chamber to be honest, it was very patch-work held together with nothing more but epoxy, vacuum grease and silicone sealant. I was pretty happy the plasma held for awhile, but I think there was a leak after that, the air became a little bit conductive (due to the pressure increment) and then the plasma just became plain old sparks. Just curious though, what exactly are the qualitative tell-tale signs of the insufficient vacuum? I think the ideal case scenario is if the plasma manages to confine itself to star-mode...

Hmm and right now I am using a 12000V transformer, do you think it can be sufficient for star mode, under the a strong enough vacuum?

Thanks!
Sam
"Physicists are made of atoms." - Michio Kaku
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

If you can get a good vacuum, 12,000 volt neon xfrmr will be fine.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Images du Jour”