DXR 3000 acquired from university surplus

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Jacob Paule

DXR 3000 acquired from university surplus

Post by Jacob Paule »

Just picked up this DXR 3000.
20160225_192655.jpg
It came from a working environment I was told.
PS_Plate.jpg
It came with a good deal of cabling, what looks like a fuse box under a floor panel and HV leads.
20160225_200137.jpg
PS_Back.jpg
The internals all seem very clean, and I do not see anything that appears blown.
PS_Top.jpg
20160225_192931.jpg
20160225_192924.jpg
I have not been able to find much information on this power supply however. I would be very grateful if anyone had any information or experience with one of these supplies.
Rich Feldman

Re: DXR 3000 acquired from university surplus

Post by Rich Feldman »

>> I do not see anything that appears blown

Nice pictures there.
I do not see anything that looks like a HF HV transformer, voltage multiplier, connector, or cable.
Let's wait for one of the experts to pronounce whether you are a box or two short of a set.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Jim Stead

Post by Jim Stead »

This is part one of a three piece setup designed for X-ray use.
The output on W2 from this unit fed the input of this unit - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Spellman-DXR-300 ... 1778413841
The co-ax output of that unit fed this final unit - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spellman-DXR-30 ... Sw~OVWz2Rm
Jacob Paule

Post by Jacob Paule »

Wow thank you, so with those 2 components I would have to complete unit. This will really help. Although that first listing was already sold. Also the last unit states the output of it is only around 3kv, is that just the last unit or does it severely step down the voltages from the previous unit
Jim Stead

Post by Jim Stead »

I believe the first unit is the inverter. The second unit is the HV stage which generates the 60kv. The final stage powers the filament fittings in the X-ray tube. The final unit is only producing 3k for the filaments, but it is also passing through the high voltage from the second stage.

For fusor purposes, it would appear that you could run without the final stage, but these stages are engineered as a set. To eliminate the final stage, you would need to root out and bypass any communication from the third stage that controlled the functions of the first and second.
Jacob Paule

Post by Jacob Paule »

That seems pretty doable, now I just need to wait for a second stage to pop up on ebay again.
Jacob Paule

Post by Jacob Paule »

After some research I came up with this(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scintag-Inc-Par ... SwG-1Wz2JH) as an alternate 3rd stage module, it seems to be exactly the same as the other, except with a 60kv output. Unfortunately I have not been able to find anything close to a substitute for the second stage module, does anyone have any ideas for that?
Jim Stead

Post by Jim Stead »

I'm sorry to say it, but your best hope may be waiting for another to become available for sale. The second stage is a transformer/multiplier which you could build yourself, but it would require a bunch of parts and strong electronics knowledge. Do a search for DXR3000 on this board and you'll see what others have done working with these.
prestonbarrows

Post by prestonbarrows »

I'm not super familiar with Spellman supplies, but Glassman often does the same thing. Many of the supplies over a few kW will split up the hardware into a rectifier/inverter stage and a separate multiplier stage, especially on older units. As others have said, it looks like that is the case here. There is definitely nothing that would handle 60kV in the pictures you posted. At that voltage, the multiplier board typically lives inside a plastic bucket to provide the necessary standoff.

Does this unit run on its own or does it have a built in interlock if the other units aren't present? Do you have a scope and voltage divider to look at the output? Do you have a manual for this unit? If you know what the waveform coming out of this unit is, it is not too difficult to build a multiplier on your own with some power electronics knowledge. The hardest part usually is knowing all the feedback signals the logic board needs and providing them.

As a side note, does anyone know what is going on with that array of inductors? I have never seen anything like that before.
Jim Stead

Post by Jim Stead »

In the 6th picture, you can see orange colored horizontal devices under the inductors. My assumption is that they are capacitors. That would make an L-C circuit for final tuning of the frequency band to be delivered to the multiplier stage. The multiple L-C stages we see could be an effort at staggered tuning to deliver a more precise passband. This is just my best guess though, I don't have any actual experience with these.

Return to “Images du Jour”