Further fusion efforts for Jack and Scott

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Jack Rosky

Further fusion efforts for Jack and Scott

Post by Jack Rosky »

Hello All!
I'd just like to introduce this post as where Scott and I will show our continued efforts to more fusion and towards a better system. Today we had another successful day at NJIT and got some more fusion as well as a better moderator (HDPE blocks thanks to Tim Koeth). We took a video that shows more sustained fusion and more counts than prior runs!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIbsYrGvvlw
You will hear Scott Moroch's voice doing the explanation and Jack Rosky (me) in the background controlling the gas and throttling the vacuum valve.

Our current method of running the fusor does yield more reliable runs, but does waste a lot of deuterium, so we are working on fine tuning the process.
Thanks very much!
-Jack Rosky
If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.
-Issac Newton
Richard Hull

Re: Further fusion efforts for Jack and Scott

Post by Richard Hull »

Once you do fusion and get the hang of running a fusor, only then can fine tuning your process begin. Glad to see this natural and correct progression taking place here. Good work, good luck. You guys seem to be doing good science and recognizing the need for artifice in good operation.

Each year on the 15th of September I start to wrangle my fusor back to life after a period of inactivity so that it performs well at HEAS. Today was such a trial. After three hours from startup, the very best I could squeeze out of fusor IV was about 50,000n/s at 40kv.

The system plumbing and the oils are all full of crap that needs purging. Tomorrow it WILL improve and the day after, get better still. 40 kv is about where I can usually get close to 1 million n/s!

Repeated daily operation always shows improvement here.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Images du Jour”