air scram jet

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
Andrew Haynes

air scram jet

Post by Andrew Haynes »

Hi this is a basic design of a scram jet, the pressure from one chamber, increase the velocity of the first/second chamber velocity. As the pressure increase the same pressure get changed into velocity to sucking the income air and the cycle repeats, untill it blows.
Was thinking that at 14Mv(past binding energies) the fuser would be close to breakeven, and with magnetic compression high rates could be achieved, Using the RT gas law the output thrust would be greater than the input. Designs of the geometry for compression and acceleration would need to be worked out, but it would be starting at 3000K plasma temperatures.
The design is to be burnt up, so internal temperatures isn't much of a issue.
Attachments
scram.PNG
Andrew Haynes
Richard Hull

Re: air scram jet

Post by Richard Hull »

The design would start at 3,000 kelvins! Wow! Well only another 500,000,000 kelvins to go. We are on our way now boys.

This isn't fusion; it is an ill conceived chemistry project. Sorry 'bout that.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Andrew Haynes

Post by Andrew Haynes »

Hi Richard Hall
:)
The 3000K is just to get plasma, if you have say 10 turns of wire around the chamber with 100kamp going through them It would compress the plasma. What would it be if you have 10Mtelsa. The z pinch operates by compressing.
Andrew Haynes
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Andy, we've long been wondering what planet you are on.
Let's presume that by 10Mtelsa [sic] you mean 10 megateslas. Sounds like neutron star territory.

Please give us some real dimensions for your 10 turns x 100 kA, so we can help you to compute the magnetic flux density.
I bet the result would be unremarkable in a high-field lab electromagnet or an amateur coin shrinker. I could get pretty close in my garage.

What rate of change of flux density (number, please) do you have in mind when you utter the buzzword z-pinch?

Bottom-line message: learn more Earth physics, and practice making your ideas quantitative.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Andrew Haynes

Post by Andrew Haynes »

Hi Rich Feldman

10 Turns
0.1 m length
0.25m3 radius
100,000amps
0.9 permeability
11.3 Tesla Yeah abit short :(

I was thinking 100hz to 10khz switching
Andrew Haynes
Ross Moffett

Post by Ross Moffett »

You won't get switching. I've wound coils for a coin shrinker before. I didn't make a mistake.. that's plural.. because that much amperage vaporizes the copper coils in the first cycle and you have to make a new coil for the next coin. If you thicken the cable, it will still get hot enough to melt in short order. Calculate the power dissipation by resistance (wire resistance tables by diameter easily available on the web).

P = R*I^2
(power in watts) = (resistance in ohms) * (current in amps squared)
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

If you use 1" copper buss bar in the coils it would not vaporize. What is a realistic duty cycle on this "fall-short system"..... One pulse a second? However, the compression realized wouldn't fuse much and if it should get a fusion or two, it is "putt-putt boat" operation. ( A form of worthless operation I have discussed many times, like trying to power a city off lightning and the abject, signal failure fully realized in the terawatt laser fusion failures at NIF recently). They have effectively admitted defeat and abandoned power fusion work at NIF and moved on to their main mission of making and testing better H bomb concepts. You will never "putt-putt boat" your way to real power fusion.

Richard Hull

For those too young to remember.............A small tin boat once sold in five and dime stores from the early 1900's until the demise of that type of store was called a putt-putt boat. In the boat was a little tin boiler tube heated by a candle or alcohol which flash boiled a slug of water, shooting it out a rear tube under the boat, propelling it forward. Once the tube reached an optimum temperature, the boat would putt-putt about the pond, pool or bathtub ocean provided by the child.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Andrew Haynes

Post by Andrew Haynes »

Hi Ross Moffett
The wire would be large enough, spec out some 640mm2 AL wire that can handle 8kamp steady state about 0.02ohms/meter.

Hi Richard Hull
I'm work on a power system that might be capable of that current at 10khz, high voltage with a small cap, the induction of the coil will limit the current though.What telsa level would you need to achieve fusion, if the field was designed for almost round compression.

The 10MT was meant to be 10Mamp/turns/meter
Andrew Haynes
Ross Moffett

Post by Ross Moffett »

Just wanted to make sure you wouldnt wind this with 10 gauge. The next thing is that you won't be using a small capacitor. Look up maxwell low esr oil capacitors. Thats the sort of bank that will discharge 8kamps. Capacitors and batteries have internal resistance limiting the discharge current. Microwave caps are an acceptable substitute, for short runs, if you place a lot of them in parallel. After a while they fail.
Andrew Haynes

Post by Andrew Haynes »

Hi Ross Moffett
I was thinking about making my own, 1cm thick AL,1m3 with barium titante at 1cm spacing is about 1uF, I think it should reach 100kv, at low resistance it should put out the amps, but not over a long time.

Would 1uF be to small?

Might make some interesting plasma physics experiments.
Andrew Haynes
Ross Moffett

Post by Ross Moffett »

1 cm will most likely be an arc risk. You're going to need over a liter of barium titanate. I've never heard of anyone using it for a homemade cap, mostly people use plastic or oil dielectrics.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

My final word..........Good luck in your quest and all its very uphill battles.

Richard Hull
Ross Moffett

Post by Ross Moffett »

I have to agree there, I think the best that could come from this plan so far is a spectacular explosion of fire and sparks. If you're lucky, you'll be able to laugh with your friends about it later on.
Monroe Lee King Jr

Post by Monroe Lee King Jr »

Here's a thought for you. Make a thermite chamber and pass LH2 over the chamber mixed with your ram air (or some other fuel). Get it super hot and contain it and you have a ram air engine much like the project pluto engine without the nuclear reaction (chemical instead). If you could sustain enough thermite reaction at a temperature you could contain it. That might get you in the right weight range. Carrying HV supply and Capacitors is pretty much a no flight situation.

Monroe

Of course take out a nice BIG insurance policy first!

A scram-jet is hypersonic that means super light weight and tiny for the most part. Very high altitude and you need one heck of a boost to get to start engine speed! You have to be going Mach 5 or better to even get it to hold a flame. A Ram-Jet has subsonic flow in the combustion chamber a scram-jet has supersonic flow in the combustion chamber big difference.
Today's the Day! We go into Space!
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

I didn't suck up some of the details in this post but I have a huge energy discharge cap for sale if you're interested. Its taking up too much space in the garage and needs to go soon. Don't recall specs, but its big. You can contact me offline or maybe I should put a post up in the trading post. I have lots of random stuff sitting around that could be useful to others.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Andrew Haynes

Post by Andrew Haynes »

Hi Andrew Robinson
If you could find out the specs or a picture, I might be interested(for another project not related to this). About other stuff I'm not ready to build a fusor anytime soon, unless inspiration strikes with a new idea.

Hi Monroe Lee King Jr
I haven't run over the numbers for the design(air intake, temp,thrust,etc),but mixing a fusor with chemical means might make a new area to look down, rather than one or the other.

PS. your rocket website, do you accept registrations?
Andrew Haynes
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

I will post up in the "Trading Post" here soon.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”