Fusion in an exploding, (imploding) wire?

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
hjerald1

Re: Fusion in an exploding, (imploding) wire?

Post by hjerald1 »

Richard,
This concept is related to the approach of using explosively compressing UD3 in order to provide "trigger" neutrons for fission weapons. It has been postulated (by those not privy to classified information), that this technique is used by (at least) the US, Pakistan, and China in current nuclear weapons.

Apparently there is an open source publication by the Chinese describing the technology:

"Fusion Produced by Spherical Explosive", in Shock Compression of Condensed Matter 1989. Proceedings of the American Physical Society Topical Conference Held in Albuquerque, NM August 14-17, 1989; Schmidt, SC; Johnson, JN; Davidson, LW; Eds. 1990.

One can imagine that the exploding wire approach has also been looked at by (and classified by) nuclear weapons groups in a number of countries.

Jerry
hjerald1

Post by hjerald1 »

A Google search reveals publications concerning neutron production via exploding wires of metal deuterides.

I have wondered for some time about the use of electromagnetic forming or “magneforming” via high power pulsed magnetic fields to promote D-D fusion in metal deuteride targets. Amateurs have used pulsed magnetic fields to produce shrunken coins and the internet reveals numerous approaches to building equipment which could be adapted to metal deuteride experiments.

But Google again provides references to neutron production from applying pulsed magnetic fields to various deuterides.

It is quite likely that both technologies have been examined in detail by nuclear weapons researchers as part of efforts to develop alternate methods of neutron production for fission weapon initiators (including UD3 mentioned in my earlier post).

However it would be fun for the Fusor community to use their collective neutron detection capability and examine either of these approaches.

Jerry
Edward Miller

Post by Edward Miller »

UD3 is VERY interesting. Tough space for the amateurs, tread lightly.

[Edit: Added this part]
I wonder if a similar hydride might be made with non-fission elements that would still see the benefits of this configuration. Also I wonder what their input is in order to produce neutrons with UD3. FWIW there is a scientist that was loading up palladium metal with deuterium using electrolysis and hitting it with a decent laser that was getting good results. Not a significantly closer to break even but interesting. I'll find his paper....

From what I've found briefly DT trigger outputs are 10E8 in 100 ns pulse. That seems small.
Edward Miller

Post by Edward Miller »

The only thing more interesting than reading about fusion is reading about how people have tried a variety of fusion initiators to ignite fission explosions. The comments run the same range of detail and crazy as our own fusor board. Interestingly enough though it does seem that pulsed D2 tubes are used as initiators...

http://forden.armscontrolwonk.com/archi ... ed-herring

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”