Hybridized Polywell Design Theory of mine

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
David Geer

Hybridized Polywell Design Theory of mine

Post by David Geer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:56 am

I'll give findings once I finish with a magnetic/electromagnetic icosahedral or variant magrid lattice (Based off the Polywell WB series) with hexa-stream laser particle injection (Arctic Series Blue Wicked Lasers). Looking at maybe layering a second WB lattice around a smaller at an offset angle to further compress the field and pinch the cusp points tighter. 45 degree x 45 degree positional shift (encompassing fields in the corner gap points of the first field lattice, 12 toroidals in total).

Still debating on making 2-4 grids and if any, will be propelled gyroscopics to promote field containment and whether there will be feedback capacitors/relays connected to the inner grid (for discharge recollection) and a flexible solar panel system layering the vacuum shell (best efficiency is around 47% with top materials). The feedback capacitors/relays will in essence pickup the converted photovoltaic energy and occasional plasma discharge due to core field discrepencies. Feedback going to a multimeter for initial tests and if sufficient, back inwards to the (debatable) electromagnet system to bolster containment strength.

Also, looking to obtain high reflectivity EMI shielding polyurethane foam. Looking at a mixed alloy of Aluminum, Nickel, Copper and Gold in the polyurethane foam. (I'll update with links to material databases). This will help put some (and hopefully enough) of the EM Radiation back into the core that doesn't get absorbed by the solar cells and discharge collectors.

Everything will be connected to a charge reclamation system. Almost total sealing and shielded layers except for laser injection and fiber optic viewport (smaller hole for safety measures). Still researching what recording system receives the least interference from the radiation. No schematics as of yet, due to, placement of driven gyroscope assembly but shouldn't take me too long to work out the kinks.

In theory, the design is unique and hopeful but it'll be an interesting engineering challenge to actually build it once I have all the parts. Will definitely appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. I'm big on hybrid systems so won't remove any singular system unless it fails to perform.
- David Geer

Chris Bradley

Re: Hybridized Polywell Design Theory of mine

Post by Chris Bradley » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:09 am

I think you should keep it simple and stick with just the 2 grids and the propelled gyroscopics with discharge recollectors.

David Geer

Post by David Geer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:21 am

Yeah, currently going over the engineering aspect of propelled gyroscopics compared to the modified polywell design. The polywell multigrid will be the positively charged outer grid to maintain higher particle containment. The propelled gyroscopics was to somewhat simulate a postulated stationary tokamak (spinning fields around a core rather than a torus). If I could get it to work there would be 3 grids (outer + or electromagnetic, mid n, inner -) with inner/outer being opposing spin directions.

The polyurethane foam will have to be custom made as the current material doesn't contain any gold, which is what I really want in there for the EM properties and it's responsiveness is nuclear particle reactions.

One thing I forgot was that I was gifted an older geiger counter from a family friend so that cuts my costs by a good amount.

The biggest thing I noticed from everyone's designs is the lack of emission reclamation systems. Can't reach break even unless you can return what comes out to the process. This makes all the equations exponential dwindle to zero.
- David Geer

David Geer

Post by David Geer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:01 pm

Another big challenge for the gyroscopics is to get the universal tri-axis system to have individual motorized rings so that the inner ring spins the fastest and with electromagnetic or permanent magnet materials, create a denser field-form with the aid of the outer ring rotations.

Anyone have any suggestions on the motorizing aspect if each ring is at a 45 degree offset?
- David Geer

Dan Tibbets

Post by Dan Tibbets » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:18 pm

I'm not sure what you are proposing. But, if you have one set on magnets outside of another I don't think you can offest them or spin one or both sets. Part of the needed magnetic morphology of the Polywell is that all magnetic surfaces facing the core have to be convex towards the center, otherwise the containment will not be stable. I suspect having magnets outside the primary magrid, if offset or spining could deform the 'Wiffleball magnetic surfaces locally into concave shapes towards the center- bad. There have been discussions of placing symetrical magrids, one inside another to possibly have a net increased B- field and possibly pinch the cusps and/or improve recirculation, but to my knowledge, it hasn't gotten past the hand waving stage.

As for spinning a magnet, why? Angular momentum may help the Focus Fusion approach, but I have not seen any claim that it could help a Polywell. It might be bad. Any angular momentum will decrease the central convergence of ions in this spherical (quasi- spherical) system. Also, if you are thinking of spinning the plasma, so that it approaches a condition of a torus- you are trying to build a Tokamak type machine, which is completely different from a Polywell. I'm not saying whatever you are conceiving is worthless, but it seems a large departure from the basic Polywell scheme.

And, what do you hope to achieve with metalic/ polyurathane foam? It may stop X-rays and UV rays, but so will the vacuum vessel wall. Unless you anticipate this foam being some type of photovoltaic system that would convert this radiant energy better than a thermal cycle, you gain nothing. And may actually be losing ground. Also, keep in mind that capturing x-ray energy (in a nonthermal manner) is much more difficult than doing so with visible light. You might look at how the Focus Fusion lab proposes to do this. I believe Eric Learner(?) has a patent for this. I also suspect a polyurathane based foam would have severe outgassing problems, not to mention melting and vaporizing under modest thermal loads. The Focus Fusion proposal has their X-ray collector outside the vacuum vessel, and hope it will convert perhaps ~ 80% of the x-ray energy reaching it (vs. ~ 30% for a thermal cycle).

Dan Tibbets

David Geer

Post by David Geer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:03 am

Thanks for the critiques Dan. The EMI polyurethane foam is actually an EM reflective material. It functions as shielding by sending the radiation in a deflective or inverse course. Not looking at using the foam for absorption but reinsertion of the energy back into the core. Trying not to waste the energy emissions. Also, it's a metallic foam and will only be .5mm thick. There will still remain the stainless steel chamber housing everything. Lastly, the alloy does not have any technical data as of yet so this will also be an experiment into the performance of said material.

So far, the Polywell and gyroscopics are looking to be two different experiments and will end up NOT being in the same device unless as interchangeable parts. As for the multi-Polywell, you have 6 torii making up a cube but containing "leaks" or cusps in the corners and ring centers. The additional 6 torii will be slightly larger and centered over each of these corners so the outer domain of the first field-set will be compressed inwards, further sealing up the core area from a star shape to more of an actual sphere.

The gyroscopics might just need to be more "egg-beater" in appearance (2-3 rings per spinnable layer) with an advancing worm gear drive system through a central shaft. Egg-beater in egg-beater in egg-beater. Basically, increasing compressive electromagnetic confinement space without increasing total number of components. Due to a spherical field being rotated the core will not become a torus with respects to the evenly applied field in any direction.
- David Geer

Dan Tibbets

Post by Dan Tibbets » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Concerning reflecting x-ray frequency light back into the core. It is very difficult to deflect x-rays. Read about the Chandra X-ray telescope for an indication of deflecting the x-rays enough to come to a focus. Reflecting them back towards their origin woulf take many more grazing reflections. For x-rays to be deflected instead of absorbed or transmitted, you have to have very shallow angles- sort of like mirages. I could see a foam acting like alot of shallow angle surfaces that the x-rays could reflect off of, but there would also be alot of perpendicular surfaces. Taking visible light as an example, a very good reflective surface might reflect 98-99 % of the right angle light hitting it, and absorb the rest (heat). For X-rays, only the very shallow angles would reflect, thus almost all of the x-rays would be absorbed or transmitted. A aluminum coated spounge would make a lousy telescope mirror. In fact using very tiny spounge/ irregular surfaces tends to absorb more light than flat black surfaces.

And why would you want to reflect them back? If central focus of ions occurs and the ions remain nearly the same energy, and the slow electrons in the center have nearly the same energy, and if most of the Bremsstrulung radiation is originating from this core, then the X-ray energy may be in a narrow frequency, but I don't know how this reheating in the core (where the greatest density is) affects the potential well. If it helps of if it hurts is iffy. There are alot of If's there.
Like a fusor the Polywell is driven by electrostatic forces. For the most part the magnetic field directly effects only the electrons, confining them for reasonable times. But an important factor is that it preferentially allows upscattered electrons to escape. This is important for delaying the electron thermalization that otherwise has detrimental effects (like more bremsstrulung, especially with P-B11 fusion). Improving electron confinement too much can hurt the system. Recirculation is a very important part of this balancing act as I beleive it both decreases the electron input energy costs, and helps to counteract thermalization as it resets the recycled electrons to initial conditions (an aspect of Gauss Law).

The basic Polywell looks simple, but there are extreamly complex and dynamic processes that are all but impossible to model. That is why expermentation is so important. If it indeed works, expanding the system might be helpfull, but untill this much easier (both to do and to evaluate) basic research is done (and hopefully made public) , it is difficult to predict optimizations.

Dan Tibbets

David Geer

Post by David Geer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:22 am

With the reflection of the x-rays, the shielding will be in a sphere so there are plenty of surfaces for reflection. If you take the sun as an example, the EM flares create recirculating arcs that go back into the mass. This allows for a sustainable energy kickback because the magnetic field is so great that even the EM field and some cosmic ray energy particles are pulled back into the core. The big reason why the Fusors haven't worked at breakeven is because too much of this energy is lost and the chain of reactions breaks down to nil due to particle loss. Just trying to think of ways, whether they work or not, to keep as much of the energy in the core plasma fusion process for as long as possible.

Still have to look at the effects of high concentration x-rays on solar cells. Gotta see how the monocrystalline arrays continue to work like normal or end up with an increased burnout.

As for the Polywell effect, have we even gotten definitive information on whether or not Ligon's device was even in a vacuum? It uses 6 Ion Injection Beams to get it going. Forcing them through the magnetic fields like a slow particle accelerator and using the fields to continue the process. My design will have the Deuterium gas vented in so that it is already within the field and the neutral/negative grids can naturally accelerate into a centralized plasmoid. Also, stronger magnetic fields reduces the Brem effect. The processes involved in a Polywell field are simple and easily mapped out. The downside to the basic Polywell is that it is extremely sloppy and inefficient. Too much focus on chance collisions and using input energy over long periods of time to get the processes going.

Lastly, I want the increased heat/energy potential in the core to increase without the need for higher input energies. The closer to a true microstar the better. Albeit, a true sustainable reaction contains both fusion and fission is the same chain of reactions.

Sadly, the toroidal electromagnets are looking like they will have to be handmade and haven't decided on whether to be an earth permanent magnet or a neodymium type with magnet wire wrappings. I would like to use a strong bitter magnet but I don't think they will last very long under HV electralyzing.
- David Geer

David Geer

Post by David Geer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:48 am

Well, I'm coming back to my design and looking at some concepts that might work well together. So feedback on the following would be greatly appreciated.

Looking at combining the standard spherical fusor chamber with a variation on either the SERL "generator" electromagnet setup (will build and test a mockup for the supposed vacuum cooling effect; most likely a hoax dud) or an internal polywell for the outer magrid. Also, adding in thermoelectric and solar generating elements for the inner shell wall. Lead glass or acrylate domes around the outside of the shell with cylindrical casing caps for any attachments and definitely for any/all viewports. The chamber would be made from the stainless steel alloyed with titanium dioxide.

Gotta cut this short because work is almost over but I'll still be coming out with a more detailed list of components I plan to include in my design.

Can't wait to hear what you all think!

- David Geer
- David Geer

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:33 pm

The Searl generator is about as much of a hoax as you could possibly get involved with. The rest of your ideas are a bit too nebulous for me to interpret.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.