Opinions on "Cold Fusion"?

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
tligon

Re: Opinions on "Cold Fusion"?

Post by tligon »

Experiments in which wholesale transmutation of electrode metal have reportedly occurred were what caught my attention.

I must necessarily suspect a single report of this, and would want to check on the "kook index" of the person reporting it. Let's say this ... if the result is reproducible, the experiment is designed so that contamination can be eliminated, and the results are meticulously reviewed, then transmutation pretty much settles the issue.

But as always, alchemy requires exceptionally rigorous peer review.

Just recalling off the top of my head from a decade or more back, I believe Miley did personally review this particular finding.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Tom is right. This is what makes me think the process is a form of fusion, but instead of having to muscle it's way through the repulsive forces, it simply finesses it's way around the issue. Since most people agree that the energy released in nuclear reactions is the binding energy, such a mechanism would produce little output power compared to hot fusion processes.

That's just my opinion.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Q.E.D.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Yeah exactly.
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Hector wrote:
> Since most people agree that the energy released in nuclear reactions is the binding energy, such a mechanism would produce little output power compared to hot fusion processes.
I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you are saying here. The kinetic energy of the fast ions just before they fuse is a small fraction of the binding energy released. If a 'colder' process is performed (e.g. muon catalysed is done at cryogenic temperatures) the actual fusion energy released is still the same.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Okay so correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I meant.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... ucbin.html

Hector

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”