"Extra-Legal" Subjects Will NOT Be Tolerated.

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

"Extra-Legal" Subjects Will NOT Be Tolerated.

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

These forums are provided only for (relatively) safe and indisputably LEGAL experimental fusion work. ANY reference to experimentation with substances or processes outside the legal restraints governing nuclear research will NOT BE TOLERATED.

Please, NO NOT JEOPARDIZE the free exchange of information in this forum re: legitimate research this field. If you are doing something outside those restrictions, we just don't want to know about it, and we're sure not going to discuss it here.

Any questions?

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Doug Coulter

Re: "Extra-Legal" Subjects Will NOT Be Tolerated.

Post by Doug Coulter »

No problem perfessor -- a slip due to not knowing every possible law, including the classified parts of the patriot act -- I apologize, here and above.

And no, it's not censorship as some have worried about at all, and I have zero problem with it.
I'd say go ahead and delete all this, fine with me. Lets get back on with the real work, sorry I wasted anyone's time. Let's not add the Streisand effect on top.

Just my .02. This forum is *far* too valuable to put at risk from silly stuff.

Doug
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
Chris Roberts

Post by Chris Roberts »

Doug, I should say my hat is off to you and the rest of the forum for how professionally everyone discussed this. Richard, the Perfesser, Carl, et al. helpfully explained in no uncertain terms on how messing with tritium could get somebody in nasty trouble, and Doug took the advice, apologized for scaring folk, and changed his plans, thus avoiding said potential trouble. No hard feelings, no harsh words. This stands in stark contrast to so many other forums amongst the internet; you all deserve a lot of respect.

Just a random atta' boy from somebody in the peanut gallery.

-Chris
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

We are not attempting to point fingers, assign blame, nor is their need for apologies if ignorance of statute or the law was the case.

In future, we will all try and abide by the rules related to controlled or illegal materials.

I have created a FAQ explaining all of this and the future rules related to discussions of controlled or illegal materials at.......

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=375#p375

A spirited discussion has ensued with extended clarifications and additions to the original FAQ posting.

Richrd Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Paul and Richard - the problem is that laws off different countries are differient - I can buy Titrium in devices which are illegal to purchase in US also I run Titrium experiments which are illegal to conduct in the US. I dont advocate breaking the law but laws can be wrong - N.Ireland is an example.

I think the spirit of the law is more important in that we do not harm others or seek to harm others but it is necessary to control the information presented on the forum from encourageing experiments which have an objective of such harm. More important, if we acheive fusion, do we publish such information that others may use such knowledge for political or criminal purpose?

Generally the forum is well managed and I am of a mind to suffer censorship by the moderators who have demonstrated balance in such a cause.
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

John, for the jurisdiction of the UK:

“Nuclear Installations Act 1965”:

“Control of certain nuclear installations and operations

1 Restriction of certain nuclear installations to licensed sites
(1) Without prejudice to the requirements of any other Act, no person shall use any site for the purpose of installing or operating—
(a) any nuclear reactor (other than such a reactor comprised in a means of transport, whether by land, water or air); or
(b) subject to subsection (2) of this section, any other installation of such class or description as may be prescribed, being an installation designed or adapted for—
(i) the production or use of atomic energy; or
(ii) the carrying out of any process which is preparatory or ancillary to the production or use of atomic energy and which involves or is capable of causing the emission of ionising radiations

You have been warned.

The consequences in UK jurisprudence are truly shocking:

"(3) Any person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section shall be guilty of an offence and be liable on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding one hundred pounds"

Yes, John, if someone were to fall into such a category they could be fined up to 100 pound!

I suspect this UK law hasn't really kept up with the times, and it also doesn't seem to indicate any lawful removal of said equipments related to the offence, so presumably you just keep on paying your GBP100 fine each time you get caught operating it!
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

So it only applies if I am sucessfull in producing fusion - it's not a reactor until it reacts and then I can be finded a £100 for a discovery worth billions.
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

John Hendron wrote:
> So it only applies if I am sucessfull in producing fusion - it's not a reactor until it reacts and then I can be finded a £100 for a discovery worth billions.

"any other installation of such class or description as may be prescribed, being an installation designed or adapted for—the carrying out of any process which is preparatory or ancillary to the production or use of atomic energy"

your interpretation is your own!!......

though;
Probability of the CPS understanding what the heck you're doing to mount a case: ~zero.
Probability of the CPS finding someone "qualified in the field" who thinks an amateur could acutally do anything "preparatory..to... atomic energy": ~zero.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

ignorance is bliss
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

So keep 'em ignorant by keeping a yapping, flapping jaw shut or tightly controlling its output. One can only stick one's foot out into traffic so often before it gets run over.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

In the UK case, it is also subject to the meaning of atomic energy:

"“atomic energy” means the energy released from atomic nuclei as the result of any process, including the fission process, but does not include energy released in any process of natural transmutation or radioactive decay which is not accelerated or influenced by external means"

I would argue that fusion doesn't release any energy. Fusion is merely the joining of nucleii into a single one with a highly exited sate. Thereafter it is a "natural transmutation...which is not accelerated or influenced by external means". So UK fusion energy isn't atomic energy anyway.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Chris is absolutely correct!! The act of nuclear fusion releases 0.0 (zero) amount of energy. This is why billions of your dollars, pounds, euros, etc are being spent on it and puff pieces appear regularly about its wonderful future among us. A benefactor of man for sure at zero net energy output.

I think Chris is back on the pipe again with the fusion and then secondary break up of some secondary excitation or radioactive. I don't think the powers that be would allow for the 50 femptosecond interval of the secondary. They would then say you are creating artifical radiating nuclear products due to a nuclear process that foments a direct and immediate result of a previous 50 femptosecond act, obstensibly and deliberately directed at obtaining nuclear energy output from said process.

They would find "work around wording" , as needed, to make the ole butt hole pucker as they cart you and your stuff off. Rest assured, they will rain all over any parade you care to march down the street should they be so inclined or disposed. Like you, they are masters at semantics within the legalese, with theirs prevailing, of course.

Anyone wishing to dispute my wild hypothesis here is welcome to stick their foot out into the legal traffic flow in such matters and report back what happen to them, once they are out of the meat grinder.

Richard Hull

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”