Cold fusion back in the news

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
DaveMart

Cold fusion back in the news

Post by DaveMart »

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7168
Interesting to see if it is reproduced
001userid

Re: Cold fusion back in the news

Post by 001userid »

The Galileo Project is the ongoing effort towards reproducing results. The group could be way ahead in safe, energy producing nuclear reactions.

Now, how it actually works is another thing. Many researchers are considering a palladium lattice is used to partition a Helmholtz type resonance. It will be interesting to see what will develop from the research.

Joe Sal
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Go Navy!!

It is no small surprise that the Navy is a premier reserarch entity in this. They are not afraid to hang in there in spite of detractors or limited immediate gratification. I am glad money is being further expended on this by the navy. You can bet it is only a few million. Not a drop in the bucket compared to big weapons systems they deal with or compared against the current "big fusion" proposed by the ITER project.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

CR-39 is low cost polymer, used overseas (India espec.) for cheap eyeglass lenses. I checked "CR-39" on Google, and found about a dozen citations between 1990 and 2001 on CR-39 and other polymer solids including Kapton, Mylar, and polycarbonate materials, being used for particle detection and energy determination. High energy particles leave tracks that can be found by etching away the plastic.

See:

http://www.srim.org/SRIM/Compounds/Citations/CR-39.pdf .

Dave Cooper
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Sorta' harks back to the old critical film emulsion dosimeter systems. However, you get a 3-d image, I guess plus the advantage of the neutron thermalizing power.

Still, probably not in the average amateur class of detection mediums.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
JohnCuthbert

Post by JohnCuthbert »

Interesting but (call me cynical) I will be more impressed by neutrons than charged particles.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

To John's point about neutrons: This does seem a rather obvious expectation, that neutrons would be emitted, assuming the fusion process is what we normally expect from D-D.

Without knowing exactly how the "electric and magnet fields" are applied to the thin wire coated with palladium and deuterium, it is difficult to know what to expect.

Is this an exploding wire process, or is the wire the anode (cathode?) of a high voltage discharge, or some other method? Magnetic pinch process, pulsed Laser, .. maybe all of the above.

The reference literature for the CR-39 material, suggests MeV level of particles, so that unless the B and E fields were generated by similarly high potentials, the particle track would seem to be from some type of atomic integration or dis-integration process. But if the voltages were in the MeV range, then high energy particles might come from the pich process itself, not the D-D fusion. But the Navy folks are no slouches, and I would expect that they are being careful to get it right.

A bit more data would help us "sidewalk superintendents" be satisfied that they are doing things the "right way". ( ;-P )

Dave Cooper
001userid

Post by 001userid »

http://lenr-canr.org/Collections/USNavy.htm

I have found the Navy teams literature to be very straight forward with little mystery other than the reaction. They have the how, when and where refined and repeatable, now all is left is the why. I speculate this is an important move, to not present the "why" at this stage. They left that question open for future debate and discovery. It reminds me of the way a good teacher will leave an open question for the class, just before the final bell rings.

Joe Sal
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The "why?" of any number of supposed successful cold fusion processes and investigations remains the big stumbling block.

Assuming fusion is taking place in any of the past 15 years of CF, LENR, CANR, CMNP work, an explanation needs to be assembled.

Unfortunately many physicists just don't believe the reported results, outright. This is a big stumbling block. This, however is changing and the change is obvious.

It is very important to look at the vast periods between the discovery of x-rays and nuclear radioactivity before a full and complete explanation for the processes involved came to light. Yet, in spite of the failure of the physicists to figure it all out to their satisfaction, superlative x-ray engineering took place, broken arms were imaged, etc.

It is a case where blind luck and dinking around in the lab, and good engineering raced far ahead of the physicists. Engineering technology outpaced physics.

This just might be another example, only the process is not yet refined in spite of evidence reported to such a point that physicists are still somewhat in denial.

Richard Hull

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”