Bubble fusion confirmed

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
TBenson

Bubble fusion confirmed

Post by TBenson »

Not sure if you folks already know, but Taleyarkhan's ultrasonic-bubble-based hot fusion experiments were confirmed by some perfesser at a Texas university. Just announced.
Cheery

Re: Bubble fusion confirmed

Post by Cheery »

Yesterday? Cool! In wikipedia reads that such thing was done first time in last January, 2006

I've heard about this method but how does one actually do it? And what kind of forces is needed to achieve this?

I've been thinking about reproducing sonoluminescence -effect in my home, it is very interesting in itself.
TBenson

Just last week...link here

Post by TBenson »

Richard Hull

Re: Just last week...link here

Post by Richard Hull »

Gee, fusion just is hiding out every where and appears easy as always, but we just can't seem to pile up enough in one palce to crank out a microwatt over the input energy.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Wilfried Heil

Post by Wilfried Heil »

It appears that neither the critics nor the proponents of a new phenomenon are rarely ever convinced. Those who have found cold fusion so far will continue finding it, and so will the bubble fusers.

They will just die out, one way or the other.

A notable example to the contrary was the invention of "polywater" in the sixties, which was replicated many times worldwide and then finally refuted as an artefact by it's maker, Fedyakin.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

There is a difference......N-Rays and polywater had no great following of advanced workers compared to the like of and longevity of CF or CMP. The Condensed Matter Physics moniker is actually respectable now within the APS and papers are regularly given.

I guess that's why an open mind that can always listen, read, weigh and consider is a good thing.

Sometimes, I think all the "easy" stuff has been discovered and from here on it is tooth and nail to squeeze stuff out of nature.

Again, there is always that little unappreciated insight that blows new life up the skirts of physics. The discovery of radiation, x-ray and the electron was a three year whirlwind in the late 1800s that is only now settling back into respectable middle age with no bigger surprises on the horizon as those last decimal points are added. Again, much like the plight of physics in the late 1800's. ..... Self-satisfied that it was a closed book, needing only decimal points.

I hope I live to see a "hold on to your seats" whirlwind sweep through physics again. I feel it surely must happen again. We just need the right donkey like Becquerel or Roentgen to trip over it and then it is off to the races once more.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
TBenson

Post by TBenson »

As ususal Richard you have a wonderful attitude towards science! I too hope to live long enough to see some big fundemental shifts. Last week they announced some changes in Genetics (turns out that DNAs have many replicated genes, which means our DNAs are much more different from each other's than we thought...this has huge implications for the information processing side of DNA and mammallian growth, but I digress)

Anyway I think the question is...will CF or Taleyarkhan's discoveries be just "curiosities" which are eventually forgotten, like crack fusion and muonic fusion, or will they hit some threashold where they suddenly become very important?

Personally I believe CF will eventually be very important as new physics. The idea of CF is that there is an entirely different mode of fusion, based on coherent sets of deuterons in a solid matrix. This coherent fusion happens in an essentially zero energy environment, and proceeds along utterly different pathways, producing utterly different reaction products. This is very much a "wave" phenomenon...forget particle mode completely.

If any of this is ever proven true, whether it is scaled to an energy producing device or not, I think it has great significance for physics, and for cosmology, at the very least. But that's just speculation.

Back to Taleyarkhan...his work is VERY interesting because it yields measurable neutrons just like traditional hot fusion, but there are certain other characteristics that are very different from hot fusion. It might be more than just a cool new technique. It might embody new physics as well. It might be the "Crack in the wall" as far as forcing people to accept that the standard view of fusion reactions is terribly limited. Maybe. Who knows.

Cheers,

TB
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Yes, when I look back at science when I was born, it was only 50 years prior that science's knowledge of EM radiation stopped dead at the ultraviolet.................There was just nothing beyond that, surely! There was no firm knowledge of particles as ray like entities as all. Certainly there was no inkling that some forms of matter contained a copius multi-billion year outpouring of energy while dismantling itself. It was classic physics at its pennacle just 50 years before I was born.

Who could have guessed at the new hidden potential energies waiting to be tapped leaving simple chemical energies (the most powerful of the day being nitroglycerine), far out in the dust due to the new energy gold rush? Fifty years from not even knowing of such things, man lit the first fission fires by his own hand. What a stunning advance!

If CMP, CF, SF, Canr-Lenr pan out to be fusion au natural, sans thermal, san gravity, we might discover nature to be working at some intermediate level between classic nuclear and classic chemistry.

Just like those scientists of 100 years ago who found out that nature is just cookin' away in common minerals far below their simple observational skills, we may discover anew that nature, in biological and crystalline systems of special state, is doing fusions of sorts that were unthinkable and un-fathomable by the current wisdom.

The above is as much of a stretch of the imagination by myself and others in the field as by Crookes and others advancing the concept in the late 1880's that inside those glow tubes he made some sort of ray like particle moved the paddle wheel the length of the tube on those glass rails. Crookes "radant matter" would become Thmpson's electron in short order.

I always wondered about the vast gulf between the most energetic of all chemical and molecular reactions, ( a few EV), and the weakest of true nuclear reactions. (MEV). Is there nothing in between?

It is obvious that living biological systems and most crystalline molecular systems can't have any amount of classic fusion occuring regularly within them, (they would be ripped apart). I am just saying, that we just might not have a full catalog of all possible fusion scenarios and transfer options. One of the big stumbling blocks to interim energies is classic, (ha!), 70 year old Quantum physics. Is it hobbling us, as currently understood?

Just for grins and googlers what about an effective rayless fusion based on a form of resonant neutrino quanta. After all, if you can have neutrinos of any energy needed to explain the unexplainable beta decay conundrum............well, why not. We currenly use them freely to expalin any bizzare reaction in nuclear physics that we can't explain, otherwise......

The study of the detailed history of science can often teach and allow insights beyond that which is known.

Richard Hull

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”