Real time velocimetric and spatial information measurment for tuned fusor operation?

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
dlsworks

Real time velocimetric and spatial information measurment for tuned fusor operation?

Post by dlsworks »

Some time ago, I was proposing what I thought was an interesting idea concerning chaotic flows. And the possibility in increasing the probability of a fusion event through focusing on attributes influencing ordered flows. But, this becomes an application topic of my own personal taste for what otherwise is probably and exceptional tool for seeing exactley what is going on in the recirculation path of a fusor, in operation, and when it is needed most, ....in real time!
Dual Holographic Interferometry. here are a few excerpts that I have pulled out. I have my own conception of how to put this together, however read on....and I will see if this garners any interest. I guess for starters though, consider that laser pulses can be on the order of femtoseconds and so can pyroelectric crystal rise times, in say a camera (not just at 10.6um either but as low as 337nm N2 band or lower down into the excimer bands as well).

"The unique feature holographic interferometry allows to study processes occurring inside optically nonuniform media and with diffusely reflecting objects. Such was absolutely impossible in classical interferometry!

Classical interferometry dealt only with processes and objects varied in a real time. In holographic interferometry the real-time information can be recorded and compared with information of other moments of time. Thus, one more factor - time has appeared. The examples are researches of vibrating objects. "

et. - http://www.holography.ru/files/holinte2.htm

"A technique that allows one to measure simultaneously the three velocity components in a fluid plane is presented. One obtains the quantitative information from only one holographic recording by combining two different reconstruction processes. As both processes use an interferometric comparison of two waves, we refer to this technique as dual holographic interferometry. The far-field fringe pattern that is obtained when reconstruction is made with an expanded laser beam allows one to determine the in-plane velocity components. The image-field fringe pattern that is obtained when a pointwise laser beam is used for reconstruction contains information about an out-of-plane velocity component. As the two reconstruction processes have different sensitivities, two different ways to combine them are proposed. The system has been demonstrated in a fluidlike solid object and in a convective flow."

et. - http://www.opticsinfobase.org/abstract.cfm?id=80187

"Digital holography appears to be a strong contender as the next-generation technology for holographic diagnostics of particle fields and holographic particle image velocimetry for flow field measurement. With the digital holographic approach, holograms are directly recorded by a digital camera and reconstructed numerically. This not only eliminates wet chemical processing and mechanical scanning, but also enables the use of complex amplitude information inaccessible by optical reconstruction, thereby allowing flexible reconstruction algorithms to achieve optimization of specific information. However, owing to the inherently low pixel resolution of solid-state imaging sensors, digital holography gives poor depth resolution for images, a problem that severely impairs the usefulness of digital holography especially in densely populated particle fields. This paper describes a technique that significantly improves particle axial-location accuracy by exploring the reconstructed complex amplitude information, compared with other numerical reconstruction schemes that merely mimic traditional optical reconstruction. This novel method allows accurate extraction of particle locations from forward-scattering particle holograms even at high particle loadings."

et. - http://www.opticsinfobase.org/abstract.cfm?id=71201

"Holographic particle image velocimetry (HPIV) is presently the only method that can measure at high resolution all three components of the velocity in a finite volume. In systems that are based on recording one hologram, velocity components parallel to the hologram can be measured throughout the sample volume, but elongation of the particle traces in the depth direction severely limits the accuracy of the velocity component that is perpendicular to the hologram. Previous studies overcame this limitation by simultaneously recording two orthogonal holograms, which inherently required four windows and two recording systems. This paper introduces a technique that maintains the advantages of recording two orthogonal views, but requires only one window and one recording system. Furthermore, it enables a quadruple increase in the spatial resolution. This method is based on placing a mirror in the test section that reflects the object beam at an angle of 45 °. Particles located in the volume in which the incident and reflected beams from the mirror overlap are illuminated twice in perpendicular directions. Both views are recorded on the same hologram. Off-axis holography with conjugate reconstruction and high-pass filtering is used for recording and analyzing the holograms. Calibration tests show that two views reduce the uncertainty in the three-dimensional (3-D) coordinates of the particle centroids to within a few microns. The velocity is still determined plane-by-plane by use of two-dimensional particle image velocimetry procedures, but the images are filtered to trim the elongated traces based on the 3-D location of the particle. Consequently, the spatial resolution is quadrupled. Sample data containing more than 200 particles /mm3 are used for calculating the 3-D velocity distributions with interrogation volumes of 220 x 154 x 250 μm, and vector spacing of 110 x 77 x 250 μm. Uncertainty in velocity is addressed by examining how well the data satisfies the continuity equation. The results show significant improvements compared with previous procedures. Limitations of the technique are also discussed."

et.- http://www.opticsinfobase.org/abstract.cfm?id=70975

ps. consider that at a pulse width of 1picosecond you can measure a particle with a velocity of .00235c (40million K) within a resolution of 0.7um. Considerations....

-data flow size if taken digitally (on the order 8.1 x10^22 bytes/sec @10microns/D2 gas/ capture volume 33.5 cm^3 (sphere 2cm radius), 40 million K)
-camera resolution/sensitivity 0.7um / ~10^2 photons? ) ,

.....seems like the only botttle neck is affording a super computer, or tanamount
dlsworks

Re: real time velocimetric and spatial information measurment for tuned fusor operation?

Post by dlsworks »

I couldn't resist.

one way to deal with this amount of information is on several levels.

One- one might hypothesize that the system will have a stable attractor species of a dominant order (eg. stable attractor) in less than a millisecond so that brings the data SIZE down by 6 orders of magnitude, but it doesn't deal with the rate.

Two- lower ones resolution, acceptable number might be tens of um. Only offers data RATES consoldations of 1 to 2 orders of magnitude

Three- simultaneous rotating holographic medium encoding, to later be left with a computer. It would take one Apple G4 about a day a nanosecond to decode the holographic medium. And probably a similiar time to process it for displaying, and provide one thousand frames/nsec ( 33.3sec) which would describe a path of 0.7mm for every particle in that system(as descried)

Four-fraction the volume to the most important parts of the fusion process. Possibly the best choice of all. Offers great reductions reductions. A 2mm radius sphere (to be holgraphically digitized, again), would then require 8.1x10^10 bytes/sec which is definetly more manageable. Only issue here is the resolution of the attractor species becomes impaired, perhaps. Which means that one might have a defined stable attractor at several seconds instead....who knows, that's the point.

Five- Well probably as most things it will be a combination of all of the above...or is there something I missed? :-0

........but I think this is neat, and now if some one asks can we do this or not we will have this nice esoteric post as part of the consortium's repertoire. BTW I think it is feasable for under a 10K$. Design elements,
-TE N2 laser (make your own$$$),
-holographic medium (?),
-megaFLOP rated computer,
-one software engineer (anybody.. anybody? ),
-optics(possibly $$$$),
-custom LiTaO3 CCD chip(s)($$$$$) (http://www.spiricon.com/pdf/Pyrocam_iii.pdf) ...or
-direct encoding to a holographic medium (probably cheaper)....and that is about it. Like I said one power full tool with a possible window into exactly what is happening in the fusor...
ebeuerle

Re: real time velocimetric and spatial information measurment for tuned fusor operation?

Post by ebeuerle »

Darius,
This sounds incredibly interesting but is it really doable? Holograms are pretty complex from what I have read about them. I have not read the articles you referenced(will do that shortly).
-Eddie B.
dlsworks

Post by dlsworks »

well you have to buy the articles, right..."research papers".
But I have seen .....!! See this

http://www.ttm.tugraz.at/activ/optmet/optmet.html#holo

..they show actual holographic pictures of turbulent flow in a turbine system.

But is is do-able. Excellent question. I look at it this way, if set out to not do something you may not get it done.....
.....optical physics is my fortee...so I have the drive for these kinds of things.

First thing I am going to look into is what material is necessary for design and fabrication of a holgraphic medium of complementary specifications......consider

"Optware is developing a technology that enables the storage of between 200GB and 1TB of data, with data transmission speeds of 100Mbps to 1Gbps on discs that are the same diameter as today's CDs and DVDs."

et-http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/10/ ... hic_1.html

noit quite what I would be shooting for( think of the introductory price, for such meager data rates and sizes, no offense to those guys but we need grarage/basement NASA here).....will do some research to spiff up my language and will get back with .........."direct holographic encoding through a high speed rotating cube substrate"
holographic encoding
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

There is another way to optically observe densities in a fusor. The setup is call a Schlieren optical arrangement. It uses two 1st surface long focal length mirrors to creat parallel rays of light through a medium and passing a knife edge. Amazingly small differences in optical path perturbations can be seen. I have worked with a small setup and could easily see huge heat waves coming from my hand. The photographs are also sometimes called Shadowgraphs.

If I had a second viewport window (which I have been looking to obtain), I would set up such arrangement and report on the results. I could always put one of the 1st surface mirrors inside of my fusor but I really hate to risk trashing a 4 in mirror.

A few months ago I read that somebody had already scooped me and done it on a plasma with good results. The question though is what does the plasma in the fusor reveal?

Frank S.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
dlsworks

Post by dlsworks »

yes yes, good to hear from you Frank (in fact it was you and me who were last discussing this : -)

I will look into the "Schlieren optical arrangement",,.....but the better question has been made. What will we find and how do we use it?

Now last time, I was discussing chaos theory,..... but let me predicate that with saying that far from me people whom have an "intimate" feel for the ion trajectories in the fusor will beable to speak about trajectories and properties of the plasma their-in. So I am intersted to hear, since I do not have this nuclear experience

. At some level, each fusor of it's original construction is going to display a unique "fingerprint" of it's operation. eg. fusion rates, poissior thickness, etc. and all independently to some level. This is where chaotic flows and the ascription of strange attractors come into place. I reason that since all, otherwise, chaotic systems are actually in order at a scale, then the idea would be to expand or contract that scale to the desired system properties (eg. ordered systems are inherently of better efficacy, consider entropy/time/space etc...)
But better yet, if you know exactley what the particle are doing than you can start making better conjectures about how to modify the system,...no?
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Darius,

I agree. If you know where the fusion is best occuring in any device, you can design to optimize the conditions. IMHO, a fusor in many ways is not ver well understood. Basic principles are one thing but there is a ton going on in even such a simple arrangement.

Fractals have always intrigued me. It is commonly said that fractals mimic nature but I believe that nature itself is inherently fractal. I have my own theory on chaos. In a few more decades maybe we will be closer to understanding how little we know!

Frank S.

Frank S.
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
dlsworks

Post by dlsworks »

SCHLIEREN PHOTOGRAPHY PRINCIPLES

et- http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/text-schlieren.html

An Inexpensive Method of Schlieren Imaging

Matthew M. Waters, Rochester Institute of Technology
Advisor: Prof. Robert Teese, Rochester Institute of Technology

Schlieren imaging is a form of photography that captures disturbances in the paths of light. This technique of imaging can be used to capture changes within a medium that are not visible to the human eye, such as convection currents in air. Schlieren methods have been around for more than one hundred years, and there are many useful applications. The drawback of most schlieren photographic methods is setting up the complicated lens and camera system properly and the expense of the high quality optical equipment (lenses and/or mirrors). This paper will outline the principles of schlieren optics, and then describe our technique that takes advantage of the inactive areas between the pixels of a CCD chip to create a sensitive schlieren optical system that does not use expensive optics and is easy to set up.

et- http://216.239.63.104/search?q=cache:HR ... asma&hl=en

SCHLIEREN AND SHADOWGRAPH TECHNIQUES: VISUALIZING PHENOMENA IN TRANSPARENT MEDIA, by Gary S. Settles, is now available (Springer-Verlag, Nov. 2001, 390 pages, Hardcover, ISBN 3-540-66155-7, countless black-and-white illustrations and 48 color plates, list price $109.00).

et- http://www.mne.psu.edu/psgdl/schlierbookwebpage.html

Schlieren Techniques for the Visualization of Current Sheets in Pulsed Electromagnetic Acclerators

et- http://alfven.princeton.edu/papers/jpc2000b.pdf

(...and then this one is nice for it's topical discussion in inferometry with respects to fusion and torward the end they show a vessel arrangment such as might be used in a fusor)

Fusion Division Center for Energy Research
(Fabrication of an interferometer ........Laser Plasma and Laser Matter Interactions Labratory)

et- http://www-ferp.ucsd.edu/LIB/REPORT/UCS ... NG-114.pdf

.....Frank BTW, I would be willing to ponie up some bucks or some optics so as to get a spot in your research. I am very interested and it is always easier to use someone elses equiptment when catastrophic failure is in question, no? ; -).....we really sholdn't be "tippy toeing" around the avant-garde, we might not get noticed....two -minds are better the one....the true spirit of a consortium by collaborating efforts....more fun...etc?
dlsworks

Post by dlsworks »

The Basics
Holographic memory offers the possibility of storing 1 terabyte (TB) of data in a sugar-cube-sized crystal. A terabyte of data equals 1,000 gigabytes, 1 million megabytes or 1 trillion bytes. Data from more than 1,000 CDs could fit on a holographic memory system. Most computer hard drives only hold 10 to 40 GB of data, a small fraction of what a holographic memory system might hold.
Polaroid scientist Pieter J. van Heerden first proposed the idea of holographic (three-dimensional) storage in the early 1960s. A decade later, scientists at RCA Laboratories demonstrated the technology by recording 500 holograms in an iron-doped lithium-niobate crystal, and 550 holograms of high-resolution images in a light-sensitive polymer material. The lack of cheap parts and the advancement of magnetic and semiconductor memories placed the development of holographic data storage on hold.

Over the past decade, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and high-tech giants IBM and Lucent's Bell Labs have led the resurgence of holographic memory development. Prototypes developed by Lucent and IBM differ slightly, but most holographic data storage systems (HDSS) are based on the same concept. Here are the basic components that are needed to construct an HDSS:

Blue-green argon laser
Beam splitters to spilt the laser beam
Mirrors to direct the laser beams
LCD panel (spatial light modulator)
Lenses to focus the laser beams
Lithium-niobate crystal or photopolymer
Charge-coupled device (CCD) camera
When the blue-green argon laser is fired, a beam splitter creates two beams. One beam, called the object or signal beam, will go straight, bounce off one mirror and travel through a spatial-light modulator (SLM). An SLM is a liquid crystal display (LCD) that shows pages of raw binary data as clear and dark boxes. The information from the page of binary code is carried by the signal beam around to the light-sensitive lithium-niobate crystal. Some systems use a photopolymer in place of the crystal. A second beam, called the reference beam, shoots out the side of the beam splitter and takes a separate path to the crystal. When the two beams meet, the interference pattern that is created stores the data carried by the signal beam in a specific area in the crystal -- the data is stored as a hologram.

Images courtesy Lucent Technologies
These two diagrams show how information is stored and retrieved in a holographic data storage system.

An advantage of a holographic memory system is that an entire page of data can be retrieved quickly and at one time. In order to retrieve and reconstruct the holographic page of data stored in the crystal, the reference beam is shined into the crystal at exactly the same angle at which it entered to store that page of data. Each page of data is stored in a different area of the crystal, based on the angle at which the reference beam strikes it. During reconstruction, the beam will be diffracted by the crystal to allow the recreation of the original page that was stored. This reconstructed page is then projected onto the charge-coupled device (CCD) camera, which interprets and forwards the digital information to a computer.

The key component of any holographic data storage system is the angle at which the second reference beam is fired at the crystal to retrieve a page of data. It must match the original reference beam angle exactly. A difference of just a thousandth of a millimeter will result in failure to retrieve that page of data.

et- http://computer.howstuffworks.com/holog ... emory1.htm

....but then I was considering why not just get rid of the digital aspect all together. And just display the information directly. It would be like a film strip but in a cube and like a reel the cube would rotate reflecting through it's angle the exact image taken at the time, each frame as described would be defined by the angle of interaction, hence the spinning cube deal. One small cube, one complex writing and extraction system.
This eliminates all sorts of obstacles, namely all the time and efforts before and after everything is said and done. Consider, the Navy's holgraphic projector, am i right in rembering that they use a gaseous particle plume to project the data on to. Any way one could do the same ....such as a phosphor plume irradited by an ultaviolet laser. It would be better than a hologram, you good actually walk around it and poke at it, such as our "hands on" mentality urges.
Attachments
holo-memory2.jpg
holo-memory2.jpg (48.72 KiB) Viewed 5629 times
holo-memory.jpg
holo-memory.jpg (51.86 KiB) Viewed 5629 times
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Darius,

Thank you for the generous offer but I think I am shorter on time than one $$$ these days. I have a notebook with more experiments lined out for fundemental studies than I could do in a month if that is all that I would do full time. There are 2 other experiments that I am chomping at the bit to try but I will put the Schieren experiment in right after that. Right now I am waiting on some 10" conflat gaskets as they only last for 2 openings at best. That is nearly $10 everytime I open the beast up and most of what I change requires cracking the big lid off. I kind of wish I had a 10 micron chamber for the quick and dirty work and the UHV for just the sub micron stuff. I may just try a viton gasket as some have suggested to save time and money. Thanks again.

Frank S.
ebeuerle

Post by ebeuerle »

The holographic idea is very cool-I bet this would also help the team that is trying to create a computer model of a fusor. If they could see the insides and how particles are moving it might help modeling it easier. I don't have alot to add since I am way out of my league here:)
-Eddie B.
dlsworks

Post by dlsworks »

hey, thanx...out of my league...pshaww ..me too! I am suprised no-one has called BS on me, thanx BTW . I get my premenitions from an angel. She wispers sweet and soft nothings into my ear, "high speed rotating holographic cubes......with phosphor plume medium projectors....build it and they will come.....psssst get me a burrito" : - )

....I will work on it some time next year, i just got in-line to do some consulting work for a fellow out of Fla. He wants to do stuff in the synthetic diamond/carbon nanotube business. About 90% setup and promises big $$$ with my own R&D and manufacturing facility.
ebeuerle

Post by ebeuerle »

Ahh very cool. What kinds of stuff regarding synthetic diamond/carbon nanotubes? Sounds pretty neato! I am working on building the hydrogen generator described by John Hendron but have done considerable research on hydrogen technology and there were rumours of some companies using nanotubes to store hydrogen(similar to hydride storage).
-Eddie B.
dlsworks

Post by dlsworks »

ahha...yes yes, I get your scintillation. hehe. Well it has been difficult to graps his english as well he is a nationa of china, so I don't want to specualte too firmly on what he was telling me the other day. But, I am sure that hydrogen storage is in there somewhere. He is going to send me some literature in the mail here shortly. The best part or his price models and finacial plan. Technology,here state-side or even in western europe, that is otherwise hugely expensive....he says consider the burgeoning economy in China, and well the sheer number of new technological firms that are backed by the government. I agree with him, espescially the part about the big bucks.When I get the info I will send it your way, care of: "hydrogen fuel storage".
Ahh yes, John Hendron! Tell him to pick up his thyratron driver, it is going to gather it's weight in dust. ; -) Where is he anyway?
....I too am big into hydrogen power, see my website under DLSWorks http://f.webring.com/hub?ring=iecfusion well I don't have anything about that up yet (along with my lack of fusioneering) , but I wanted to try out a closed loop system for a standard otto-cycle. Such as a partial pressure of helium and store the oxygen at ~25%(hardly worse than air, no?) in gaseous form. Talk about zero emmisions.
Rotary valves on the head(reduced valve train parts), oiless bearings with boron nitride cylinder sleeves (or similiar), injectors for such a system are already avaliable, reconstituion through regenerative braking and electrical hook up through house 240V(plug it in over night). Consider lifetime of such a system, everything is bathed in pure H20 and inert He2 gas.
I love material science!
ebeuerle

Post by ebeuerle »

Ahh very cool. I look forward to reading the material from your Chinese associate.
-Eddie B.

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”